The Student Room Group

female/male ratio in computer science courses?

Just wondering, since i'm going to be an international student in england next year, and there are often cultural differences between countries. What is the female/male ratio in computer science courses?
Original post by Tx_redcore
Just wondering, since i'm going to be an international student in england next year, and there are often cultural differences between countries. What is the female/male ratio in computer science courses?

I'd say 9:1
Reply 2
Original post by Steljoy
I'd say 9:1

I guess you're meaning 1:9, as i don't expect it to be nine girls to one guy XD
I guess you're meaning 1:9, as i don't expect it to be nine girls to one guy XD

Ooops, I meant male:female :colondollar:

I do apologise :teehee:

Which university are you attending next year, if you don't mind me asking? :h:
Reply 4
Original post by Steljoy
Ooops, I meant male:female :colondollar:

I do apologise :teehee:

Which university are you attending next year, if you don't mind me asking? :h:

chester university :smile: you?
chester university :smile: you?

Awesome! :awesome:

I am going to Kent :h:
11% female

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-chester-c55/computer-science-3-years-9000-g400-16463

The national average is only 17% female and you won't find many universities with over 20% female CS students.

I wouldn't worry about it though, there are only 2 girls in a class of 14 on my college computing course and they barely even talk to each other. They get on just fine with the guys they're friends with on the course. You'll end up making friends with ever you end up making friends with regardless of gender.

i would say 80% male , 20 percent female
Reply 8
Original post by BigYoSpeck
11% female

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-chester-c55/computer-science-3-years-9000-g400-16463

The national average is only 17% female and you won't find many universities with over 20% female CS students.

I wouldn't worry about it though, there are only 2 girls in a class of 14 on my college computing course and they barely even talk to each other. They get on just fine with the guys they're friends with on the course. You'll end up making friends with ever you end up making friends with regardless of gender.

wasn't really worrying was just wondering, most of my friends are guys anyway. I was just imagining me walking into class, and the whole class staring in pure shock(i'm exaggerating here) of there being a female in there class. It has just amazed me sometimes of how surprised people can be by the fact that i am interested in topics like computer science, gaming and martial arts. And sometimes cultures are really different. As far as i understand you are depicted rude in england if you for example don't hold up doors or thank them for it. While this almost never happen here. You are actually depicted exceptionally nice if you do that because people aren't used to it.
wasn't really worrying was just wondering, most of my friends are guys anyway. I was just imagining me walking into class, and the whole class staring in pure shock(i'm exaggerating here) of there being a female in there class. It has just amazed me sometimes of how surprised people can be by the fact that i am interested in topics like computer science, gaming and martial arts. And sometimes cultures are really different. As far as i understand you are depicted rude in england if you for example don't hold up doors or thank them for it. While this almost never happen here. You are actually depicted exceptionally nice if you do that because people aren't used to it.

Ooo, gaming! On PC? :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Steljoy
Ooo, gaming! On PC? :tongue:

Pc and ps4. But now only ps4, since my pc broke down :frown:
Well, there's no one in my year who is female and doing computer science except one of our teachers.Of course, if that happened, it would probably turn into a "Why is the dishwasher in our class" as a select few in my class would probably say.
Reply 12
Overwhelming amount of male students tbh.

Was probably like 12 guys to 1 girl at my uni (City University)
Around a 1:9 or 1:10 ratio.
Pc and ps4. But now only ps4, since my pc broke down :frown:

Aww noo, Sorry to hear :emo:
You can see ratios on WhichUni.

11% of students studying CS at chester are female however 68% of students at the uni are female so take that as you will

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-chester-c55
Computing Science at Huddersfield here, in our lectures that have numerous computer related degrees in them, current count is about 95 males to 3 females, no joke :P

at my uni there were only 5 females out of 140 ish, bummer
I saw this thread and instantly thought of the University of Bradford's 50:50 campaign.
As others have mentioned in this thread, women are under-represented at all levels in Computer Science.

Two of our Computer Science academics, Dr. Andrea Cullen and Lorna Armitage, are leading a campaign to achieve a 50:50 ratio via events to make Computer Science more accessible to women. A great example is the GCHQ Cyber First Girl's Development Day which they hosted on campus.

I'm sure you will have an amazing time on your degree course - trailblazing the way for future female computer scientists :h:

Shelley
Reply 19
Original post by University of Bradford International
I saw this thread and instantly thought of the University of Bradford's 50:50 campaign.
As others have mentioned in this thread, women are under-represented at all levels in Computer Science.

Two of our Computer Science academics, Dr. Andrea Cullen and Lorna Armitage, are leading a campaign to achieve a 50:50 ratio via events to make Computer Science more accessible to women. A great example is the GCHQ Cyber First Girl's Development Day which they hosted on campus.

I'm sure you will have an amazing time on your degree course - trailblazing the way for future female computer scientists :h:

Shelley

Have you achieved the goal or any success with that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending