The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Is it hard to get offer for computer science in Cardiff University

Hi guys. I am planning on studying computer science in uni. My first choice uni is Cardiff University. However, there is no data on how many students (percentage) get into Cardiff University for computer science. As the course is highly competitive across ALL universities, I wonder - how hard is it to get in? Should I even try applying to Cardiff University? Can anyone share their experience?
Reply 1
Original post by morning_bell
However, there is no data on how many students (percentage) get into Cardiff University for computer science.

Even if there was, it wouldnt tell you if you would get in.

If you are within a grade of the entry requirements, apply.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi guys. I am planning on studying computer science in uni. My first choice uni is Cardiff University. However, there is no data on how many students (percentage) get into Cardiff University for computer science. As the course is highly competitive across ALL universities, I wonder - how hard is it to get in? Should I even try applying to Cardiff University? Can anyone share their experience?

I did some research, on the undergrad prospectus 2023 it says there is ~1200 applications and ~215 places, so that is give or take a 17.9% acceptance rate, which is pretty low, and compared to uni average which is around 20%. As long as you meet entry requirements, go for it
Original post by xtca
I did some research, on the undergrad prospectus 2023 it says there is ~1200 applications and ~215 places, so that is give or take a 17.9% acceptance rate, which is pretty low, and compared to uni average which is around 20%. As long as you meet entry requirements, go for it

A key piece of data is the offer rate.
Reply 4
Yes, but that gives a ballpark for the offer rate, its not so clear but the 215 places might be the offers given just used as one term under places.

Original post by ageshallnot
A key piece of data is the offer rate.
Reply 5
Original post by xtca

Thank you! Yeah, that is quite a competitive course. I reckon there are so many applications simply because it's a Russel group university + entry requirements for CS aren't that bad (ABB). I think offer rate would be a bit higher than 17.9%, as not everyone who is offered a place will go to the uni. You also consider going to Cardiff for CS?
Reply 6
No I am doing BSc Environmental Sustainability Science 2024, however, computer science aspects could potentially be integrated into my course and career as they have different pathways and there are things involved like a lot of data, remote sensing, GIS etc. so would be a great skill for uni and career after. Have fun studying CS!
Thank you! Yeah, that is quite a competitive course. I reckon there are so many applications simply because it's a Russel group university + entry requirements for CS aren't that bad (ABB). I think offer rate would be a bit higher than 17.9%, as not everyone who is offered a place will go to the uni. You also consider going to Cardiff for CS?
Original post by xtca
Yes, but that gives a ballpark for the offer rate, its not so clear but the 215 places might be the offers given just used as one term under places.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
Reply 8
Im saying the offer rate has to be similar to the number of places.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
Original post by xtca
Im saying the offer rate has to be similar to the number of places.

Er, not really. Universies know from experience what percentage of offer holders are likely to firm and insure them, so adjust their offer rates accordingly. For example, Cambridge know that only a small number of those to whom they make offers will turn them down or fail to achieve their offers. Therefore they only over-offer by a small margin. Cardiff's margin would be much higher to account for those who get offers, but decline them in favour of other universities.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Okay? I was only trying to give some guidance to the user, I am also going to Cardiff so tried helping someone who is also going there, but I was giving at least some sort of data from the universities own prospectus for 2023 to help them.

Er, not really. Universies know from experience what percentage of offer holders are likely to firm and insure them, so adjust their offer rates accordingly. For example, Cambridge know that only a small number of those to whom they make offers will turn them down or fail to achieve their offers. Therefore they only over-offer by a small margin. Cardiff's margin would be much higher to account for those who get offers, but decline them in favour of other universities.
Original post by xtca
Okay? I was only trying to give some guidance to the user, I am also going to Cardiff so tried helping someone who is also going there, but I was giving at least some sort of data from the universities own prospectus for 2023 to help them.

Admirable, but my point is that it's misleading. The OP might be put off by the prospect of a 5:1 ratio, but their chance of an offer is much higher than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending