The Student Room Group

A level psychology or chemistry

I either want to do economics, computer science, marketing or some sort of STEM degree at uni. I need to choose a fourth a level to try out, and I'm not sure whether to pick chemistry or psychology. It seems that although chemistry would help me with economics and computer science or STE , I am interested in pyschology and it may also be useful for marketing. My other choices are Maths, Economics and Geography.
Reply 1
Original post by joebrazier
I either want to do economics, computer science, marketing or some sort of STEM degree at uni. I need to choose a fourth a level to try out, and I'm not sure whether to pick chemistry or psychology. It seems that although chemistry would help me with economics and computer science or STE , I am interested in pyschology and it may also be useful for marketing. My other choices are Maths, Economics and Geography.

Have a look at the course specification for both. Psychology is very heavily essay based having to remember specific theorists and what experiments they did, the ethics, outcomes of the experiments etc. Chemistry does involve maths but in a much different context it involves physical chemistry, inorganic and organic chemistry if you are wishing to go down the stem route it would be more useful than psychology (in my opinion) unless you are thinking towards a degree in psychology of course.
Reply 2
Thank you I will take that into account. One thing I was considering was doing a creative subject as a fourth, one of them being film studies - but ik that film studies is barely respected for the courses I'm considering however for economics, if I have economics and maths does it matter?
Reply 3
Original post by joebrazier
Thank you I will take that into account. One thing I was considering was doing a creative subject as a fourth, one of them being film studies - but ik that film studies is barely respected for the courses I'm considering however for economics, if I have economics and maths does it matter?

As long as you meet the entry requirements for the degree you want to do then absolutely do film studies or any other subject you wish. I’ve applied for biomedical science so my subjects are physics chemistry and biology the only 2 important subjects are chemistry and biology. Take a look at all the possible degrees you are interested in and choose based on the entry requirements.
Reply 4
Original post by KazStudies
As long as you meet the entry requirements for the degree you want to do then absolutely do film studies or any other subject you wish. I’ve applied for biomedical science so my subjects are physics chemistry and biology the only 2 important subjects are chemistry and biology. Take a look at all the possible degrees you are interested in and choose based on the entry requirements.

Okay thank you that’s very helpful. I ended up changing last 2 options to geography and film studies, but after some thought I’ve realised I’m very interested in psychology and wonder whether I should ask to change my fourth subject as it’s usually very popular - I know psychology is difficult and film studies is apparently less so however I am in a way equally interested in both. One thing that puts me off psychology is the fact that the boy to girl ratio would be very off from what I’ve heard, and what puts me off film studies is although I used to, I struggle to watch lots of films, it takes me a while to motivate myself to watch them however when I do I do enjoy them and love analysing the symbolism within it and other things. But I also enjoy looking at the psychology of films.

Quick Reply

Latest