The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield 2nd Year Computer Science and AI Student – Ask Me Anything!

Hello Everyone!

I'm Jivanthika, I am a Second Year Computer Science and AI student at the University of Sheffield.

So far during my time at Sheffield, I have become a Fundraising Officer for the Women in Engineering Society, worked as a student ambassador to offer support and answer questions for prospective students on life at Sheffield. The transition to University Life can be stressful at times but I am here to help and hopefully answer all the questions you guys have about what university life is truly about. In my first year, I lived in Allen Court which was the city accommodation and I fell in love with the location and all the wonderful people I met in my flat and the other blocks.

Ask me anything about my course, the department(s), accommodation, societies, job opportunities, the Uni life or anything about the Uni generally! I'll be here to chat every Monday, but you can message me here anytime: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat.

Looking forward to talking to you!

Jivanthika :smile:
Best and worst thing about your course?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by 04MR17
Best and worst thing about your course?

Hiya,

So for me personally I'd say the best thing is the number of group assignments that the course provides. It is so interesting to work with people from different backgrounds and abilities and really offers you the chance to strengthen your leadership and communication skills that will be representative of workplace scenarios in the industry. Also, if there is any part of the module that you do not like, there is always an opportunity to provide feedback which the university reflects on so I like the aspect of my voice being heard at the institution. In terms of the worst part, personally I wouldn't say it is to do with the course but more with my time management. When coming to uni, it can be incredibly overwhelming as you are learning to adult on your own and complete work as well so I think I found it difficult at the start to focus on my assignments properly when I had laundry piling up or some batch cooking to do. However, as long as you plan ahead, it is all manageable.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
Hi. I’d like to ask about the lecture schedule. Could you please provide information on the number of weekly lecture hours? I’m worried about commuting since I’ll be driving around 40 minutes every day. Will this pose any issues?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi. I’d like to ask about the lecture schedule. Could you please provide information on the number of weekly lecture hours? I’m worried about commuting since I’ll be driving around 40 minutes every day. Will this pose any issues?

Hiya,

In terms of the schedule, I would say there are a lot more contact hours for computer science compared to other courses. In my first year, I found myself with a few days that were 9-5 and a few days with less hours. Overall, I think it comes to around 20 hours. I believe your commute should be fine as there are no classes before 9am and none after 5pm.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions,
Reply 5
Original post by University of Sheffield Students

Hiya,

In terms of the schedule, I would say there are a lot more contact hours for computer science compared to other courses. In my first year, I found myself with a few days that were 9-5 and a few days with less hours. Overall, I think it comes to around 20 hours. I believe your commute should be fine as there are no classes before 9am and none after 5pm.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions,

Thank you:smile:
What would you say is the girls to boys ratio for comp sci at Sheffield?
Original post by Anonymous #2
What would you say is the girls to boys ratio for comp sci at Sheffield?

Hiya,

While the ratio is definitely not what it should be, the University of Sheffield has one of better ratios for computer science compared to other unis. In my cohort, our percentage is around 80% guys to 20% girls.

Let me know if you have any more questions,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending