The Student Room Group

Disability CHAT/HELP Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey hey! Started my application for DSA yesterday, now the fun process of gathering evidence (ugh)

I'm visually impaired and have anxiety/depression, I'm going back to uni to study nursing and I did get DSA for my first degree in fine art. Fingers crossed I manage to get it again! Literally nothing about my disability has changed but I still didn't get awarded PIP despite having a lifetime DLA, I just didn't have the mental energy to fight it so hoping that doesn't impact my DSA application. Sigh.
Original post by twinlensreflex
Hey hey! Started my application for DSA yesterday, now the fun process of gathering evidence (ugh)

I'm visually impaired and have anxiety/depression, I'm going back to uni to study nursing and I did get DSA for my first degree in fine art. Fingers crossed I manage to get it again! Literally nothing about my disability has changed but I still didn't get awarded PIP despite having a lifetime DLA, I just didn't have the mental energy to fight it so hoping that doesn't impact my DSA application. Sigh.

I know fighting PIP decisions is hard but I would urge you to reconsider. Get CAB to help you. Appeals are often successful and it is definitely worth it.

That said, not receiving PIP won't have any impact on your DSA application.
Original post by Snufkin
I know fighting PIP decisions is hard but I would urge you to reconsider. Get CAB to help you. Appeals are often successful and it is definitely worth it.

That said, not receiving PIP won't have any impact on your DSA application.

I went to CAB to help me fill in the form, honestly think it made it worse. I’ve passed the time limit to appeal now anyway. I still get my disabled travel pass so it’s good 😂 it might be something I try and re apply for later. The assessor said I was “too independent” 🙄
Original post by twinlensreflex

Just to echo the above, PIP decisions will not affect DSA decisions and I can imagine there'll be a fair amount of assistive technology recommended to you - particularly in relation to your visual impairment (sensory impairment here, woohoo). :smile:

Best of luck that it all goes well for you - let us know how you get on. :hugs:
Wow! Thank you, it's interesting!
Original post by KrissJones193
Wow! Thank you, it's interesting!

Hiya :smile:
How you doing?
After 5 months of waiting on my DSA application as they lost my email, and a few shall we say strongly-worded emails (not easy not to be rude with emails when you are dyslexic) and filing a complaint and also threatening to send a DSAR form in to see my full record, apparently, they could finally agree on it by Monday.
The ridiculous thing is this year would be my cheapest ever DSA bill for them to agree ( distance learning means you can't get 1:1 in person and the skype person the last academic year still got me negative feedback on my essay's spag so not bothering with it anymore) and it's been the hardest to get sorted :confused:
Tell me more about language courses in university
It doesn't matter if your disability is an issue, it's part of who you are and there will always be TSR here to support.
Haven't popped on TSR in a long while, studying has gone brilliantly so far this year, averaging high 80s on my two modules (a first at OU is 85% and above) but now got the nerves of doing a non multiple-choice exam in June for the first time in 9 years, writing a good essay in under 3 hours feels nearly impossible :s-smilie:
heya
Original post by claireestelle
Haven't popped on TSR in a long while, studying has gone brilliantly so far this year, averaging high 80s on my two modules (a first at OU is 85% and above) but now got the nerves of doing a non multiple-choice exam in June for the first time in 9 years, writing a good essay in under 3 hours feels nearly impossible :s-smilie:

that's brilliant news.
I've secured a really brilliant apprenticeship with Premier Rugby and I'm really happy. I'm their first apprentice as well as their first disabled employee so it's a learning curve

Hello hello :hi:

Is the exam in person? :curious:
Original post by josie71202
that's brilliant news.
I've secured a really brilliant apprenticeship with Premier Rugby and I'm really happy. I'm their first apprentice as well as their first disabled employee so it's a learning curve

That's brilliant, I hope they re happy to learn from you too.
Original post by 04MR17
Hello hello :hi:

Is the exam in person? :curious:

No it's a timed remote exam, basically you press a button to download the questions and then a timer starts so I have to then submit it within 4 hours (extra time and rest breaks for me, it's actually 3 hours without adjustments).

Technically it's open book but even then my standard essay writing time is a week, not under 3 hours when accounting time for the other questions in the exam 😂
In a big shock this afternoon, had my module results back and got 89% in both overall and my remote exam was 85% (I only lost 6 marks total) which feels quite miraculous.
In a big shock this afternoon, had my module results back and got 89% in both overall and my remote exam was 85% (I only lost 6 marks total) which feels quite miraculous.

Well done! :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest