The Student Room Group

Diagnostic radiography work experience

Hii, soo I’m going into my second year of college doing a L3 BTEC in applied science and I’m hoping to do diagnostic radiography at university. However, slight dilemma I’m ready struggling to find work experience in a radiography department. I have contacted every hospital(both NHS and private) within my vicinity and beyond and still no luck. Some of the hospitals are literally sending me in circles. Is there anyway I can do work experience in like a care home? Will universities even consider me if I have no work experience?? I need serious help please😭
Hi, any relevant care experience would be helpful to have. I am a mature student (28 years old) starting a degree in Diagnostic Radiography in September. I was previously studying for a degree in Occupational Therapy. I have over 6 years of experience working with disabled children in different settings; including a school setting, looking after someone with complex needs in their home, working in a residential setting and a charity. I also have experience in Administration, Hospitality, Retail and Customer service. I would say that if you cannot get appropriate work experience, you could address this in the application (Personal statement etc) and then say that you're actively looking for work experience.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Have a look to see if you can get some online work experience.
Work experience in a care setting would be advantageous too.
My daughter is doing an allied health services course and the personal statement seems to be very important for these type of course applications.
Original post by berrybeom
Hii, soo I’m going into my second year of college doing a L3 BTEC in applied science and I’m hoping to do diagnostic radiography at university. However, slight dilemma I’m ready struggling to find work experience in a radiography department. I have contacted every hospital(both NHS and private) within my vicinity and beyond and still no luck. Some of the hospitals are literally sending me in circles. Is there anyway I can do work experience in like a care home? Will universities even consider me if I have no work experience?? I need serious help please😭

Your work experience doesn't need to be in a hospital - anything public facing is acceptable such as cafe/restaurant work, volunteering in a charity shop, working in a care home, etc. You need to show that you have experience of dealing with the general public. Then ask your local hospitals if you can get a day's (or half a day's) experience shadowing a radiographer so that you understand the role that you will be training for. It is easier for hospitals to arrange a day of shadowing experience so you might have more luck. If not, ask your school, friends, relatives, etc. who work in hospitals if they have any contacts that can get you in. Failing that, watch a few 'a day in the life of a diagnostic radiographer' videos on Youtube so that you know what you are talking about in interviews.

Also, you might want to join the new 2024 DR applicants thread to chat to fellow applicants:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7393574
(edited 7 months ago)

Like the other recommendations above, any work experience in any field is great for a personal statement. The transferable skills you gain from work experience can then be applied to the skills needed as a diagnostic radiographer (if you look at NHS constitution values and skills that diagnostic radiographers have, you can link them to your own skills and knowledge).

You can also draw transferable skills from things outside work experience, such as what you have been doing on your L3 BTEC (group work, balancing your time with college, time management etc) or any hobbies/extra curricular you might do. If you can demonstrate in your personal statement why you are personally suited to the course and your future career (even with no directly related work experience), you could stand out from other applicants :smile:

Try applying for a summer camp, part time work etc. Anything in which you can your skills are transferable into the world of Radiography. Mainly they want to know you as a person and your passions in which led to you stumbling upon Radiography.
Original post by saarah2018
Try applying for a summer camp, part time work etc. Anything in which you can your skills are transferable into the world of Radiography. Mainly they want to know you as a person and your passions in which led to you stumbling upon Radiography.

This thread is 7 months old and the OP already has offers. Please try not to bump older threads. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest