The Student Room Group

Worried about my university choice

Hi: I am going to start at the University of Surrey next week - I've gone from being excited to being nervous and wonder if I should be worried about my choice. My brothers registration for their unis were all online and didn't take much time. I spent several hours in person in the queue to register at Surrey and it took so long and was so hot and packed with people that someone collapsed in the queue. I wondered why registration wasn't online? A few days ago, they asked me to come in to finalise my exam arrangements - I have dyslexia so it's important for me. They had no appointments and just said to come along any time that day. I arrived around noon and they'd had so much demand they closed the queue and turned me away. The said I'd need to come back at a later date sometime, and they'd let me know. My brothers have the same arrangements, and they all had this organised online - I am now worried I won't have the exam arrangements. It's been really hard compared to my brothers. I'm now worried if this is the way it's all going to be - on top of being nervous about starting anyway.
Original post by EAB11
Hi: I am going to start at the University of Surrey next week - I've gone from being excited to being nervous and wonder if I should be worried about my choice. My brothers registration for their unis were all online and didn't take much time. I spent several hours in person in the queue to register at Surrey and it took so long and was so hot and packed with people that someone collapsed in the queue. I wondered why registration wasn't online? A few days ago, they asked me to come in to finalise my exam arrangements - I have dyslexia so it's important for me. They had no appointments and just said to come along any time that day. I arrived around noon and they'd had so much demand they closed the queue and turned me away. The said I'd need to come back at a later date sometime, and they'd let me know. My brothers have the same arrangements, and they all had this organised online - I am now worried I won't have the exam arrangements. It's been really hard compared to my brothers. I'm now worried if this is the way it's all going to be - on top of being nervous about starting anyway.

Hi @EAB11

It might be worth asking if they could do alternative online meetings to arrange your exam appointments? If not, then you'll just have to go in on a later date, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I hope this helps :smile:

Estelle
Third Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Reply 2
Original post by EAB11

@University of Surrey can you advise please.
Reply 3
Original post by EAB11

@University of Surrey can you please advise.
Reply 4
Original post by EAB11

Hopefully this is just teething troubles It is a long time before exams so there is plenty of time to sort out your arrangements.I have asked Surrey's Rep to respond so hopefully they can reassure you.It is a stressful time but try not to worry I am sure it will be fine
Hello :h:

We are very sorry about your experience of attending registration - we are aware that there were long queues on Friday 15 September, which was unexpected, and when we realised the cause of the issue we made almost immediate changes for the remaining 6 days of registration to improve the experience.

You will be glad to hear that we are indeed working on plans to turn our registration into an online process where we can, but also balance that with ensuring that our new students have the opportunity to meet and chat with staff in their first few hours and days on campus - this is a very important part of the experience that we don't want to lose and our staff enjoy it as much as our students find it useful!

Regarding your exam arrangements, we assure you that we will be very happy to discuss these with you, with a process that will be as smooth as possible. We were pleased to be able to meet so many students at our exam adjustments drop-in event, and we made sure that everyone was able to have a 1-2-1 on that day or have the option to return for our next exam adjustments event on 11 October.

Our amazing Disability and Neurodiversity team are always here to help, as they are for many students every academic year. I would encourage you to reach out to us directly if you haven't already and it’s definitely not too late to chat through your requirements with us - you can find all our contact details on MySurrey website (https://study.surrey.ac.uk/study-support/disability-and-neurodiversity). Or please do attend the next exam adjustments event on 11 October. Our Disability and Neurodiversity team will be contacting students to invite them to book a timed slot between 10am - 3pm in Shepard/Bellairs in the Library.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Surrey
Hello :h:

We are very sorry about your experience of attending registration - we are aware that there were long queues on Friday 15 September, which was unexpected, and when we realised the cause of the issue we made almost immediate changes for the remaining 6 days of registration to improve the experience.

You will be glad to hear that we are indeed working on plans to turn our registration into an online process where we can, but also balance that with ensuring that our new students have the opportunity to meet and chat with staff in their first few hours and days on campus - this is a very important part of the experience that we don't want to lose and our staff enjoy it as much as our students find it useful!

Regarding your exam arrangements, we assure you that we will be very happy to discuss these with you, with a process that will be as smooth as possible. We were pleased to be able to meet so many students at our exam adjustments drop-in event, and we made sure that everyone was able to have a 1-2-1 on that day or have the option to return for our next exam adjustments event on 11 October.

Our amazing Disability and Neurodiversity team are always here to help, as they are for many students every academic year. I would encourage you to reach out to us directly if you haven't already and it’s definitely not too late to chat through your requirements with us - you can find all our contact details on MySurrey website (https://study.surrey.ac.uk/study-support/disability-and-neurodiversity). Or please do attend the next exam adjustments event on 11 October. Our Disability and Neurodiversity team will be contacting students to invite them to book a timed slot between 10am - 3pm in Shepard/Bellairs in the Library.

Tbh Surrey Rep this is poor.New student turns up twice to no avail then told to come back again but to similar set up which does not inspire confidence in me,let alone her.Lots of excuses but no individual help Do better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending