The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should Muslim Women be Allowed to Wear the Hijab in State Schools?

Scroll to see replies

yawn
Maybe it's because the majority are in high-profile positions. :confused:

That's not true though...
Reply 61
UniOfLife
That's not true though...

The fact that Jewish people comprise less than 1% of the population and your observation that we tend to think there are far more supports my comment about them being 'high profile', yes?
Reply 62
yawn
It should be a fundamental right for people to express their faith by means of wearing symbols of that faith in whatever setting they are....provided that right does not impinge on the rights of others.

And in the case of wearing the hijab, no one can claim that it would.

It seems that the wearing of religious symbols is more of a problem for secularists than relgious people.

The school that I am connected with is a Christian faith school and has Muslim students that wear the hijab to school. Some students wear the salwar kazeem with the long pants, but are still required to wear the kilt of the school uniform over the top.

The forbidding of the hijab, wearing of a crucifix - or any other recognisable religious symbol is part of the agenda to remove all religious symbols from secular society.

Well argued.

If any symbol is an interpretation of a personal system of belief, or of an independently held system of understanding the world, the 'symbol' of that faith (be it a crucifix or an 'article' of faith such as the Kirpan) that the individual wears must be assumed to be worn by active choice; they did not use that symbol because they were 'forced' to by a penal, unpersonal decision but by a logical decision then the institution of the school has no mandate to dictate that the item is inappropriate -the individual, after all, considers that symbol as a functioning aspect of their own 'self' and identity. What right does the institution have to deny the individual an item that they consider to be significant in reckoning their identity? Only when that item, as Yawn has said, affects other individuals around them, should it be considered inappropriate to the context.
yawn
The fact that Jewish people comprise less than 1% of the population and your observation that we tend to think there are far more supports my comment about them being 'high profile', yes?

As a group they are definitely high profile. But the majority of Jews aren't individually in high-profile positions.
Catsmeat
Only when that item, as Yawn has said, affects other individuals around them, should it be considered inappropriate to the context.

This is more of a problem to identify and respond to than you would think. Working in the laboratory carries certain risks beyond those experienced in daily life and this makes certain clothing and jewellery choices unsafe - for example it is common practice in labs with Ultra-high vacuum systems to ban the wearing of diamond rings as they can severly scratch the glass viewports of the system causing an implosion that would kill whoever was looking into the viewport at the time. We get a large number of malaysian muslim students in nottingham including women who wear full length gowns with wide arms and visually restricting headgear (a small minority of a small minority I might add), some of which are a serious tripping hazard in the laboratory as well as the potential for sleeves to get caught/restrict movement under the lab coat and visual restriction. As a lab demonstrator I have refused entry to the lab to people because they were wearing inappropriate clothing (open toed shoes, long hair not tied back) and jewellery that would compromise their and other's safety in the lab, however we were specifically told not to refuse entry to women wearing such garments for fear of reprisals for religious discrimination. It is this fear that concerns me because it overrides important basic concepts in any place of work or education including safety.
Reply 65
Impinging on the rights of others includes the right to safe work practices.

If the wearing of certain religious symbols would result in unsafe work practices for both the wearer and others, there needs to be provisions in place to minimise or excise those risks...provided they are justifiable.

As a matter of interest, my gran tells me that when she was nursing years ago, nurses weren't allowed to wear wedding rings whilst working, as they were considered potential sources for the spread of bacteria. Nurses had to wear their rings around their neck on a chain placed on the inside of their uniform. Would that be a justifiable restriction these days?
Reply 66
ChemistBoy
This is more of a problem to identify and respond to than you would think. Working in the laboratory carries certain risks beyond those experienced in daily life and this makes certain clothing and jewellery choices unsafe - for example it is common practice in labs with Ultra-high vacuum systems to ban the wearing of diamond rings as they can severly scratch the glass viewports of the system causing an implosion that would kill whoever was looking into the viewport at the time. We get a large number of malaysian muslim students in nottingham including women who wear full length gowns with wide arms and visually restricting headgear (a small minority of a small minority I might add), some of which are a serious tripping hazard in the laboratory as well as the potential for sleeves to get caught/restrict movement under the lab coat and visual restriction. As a lab demonstrator I have refused entry to the lab to people because they were wearing inappropriate clothing (open toed shoes, long hair not tied back) and jewellery that would compromise their and other's safety in the lab, however we were specifically told not to refuse entry to women wearing such garments for fear of reprisals for religious discrimination. It is this fear that concerns me because it overrides important basic concepts in any place of work or education including safety.

Would you expect the individual, in the case that you have outlined, to consider group and personal safety and thus remove the items, or would they refuse?
Catsmeat
Would you expect the individual, in the case that you have outlined, to consider group and personal safety and thus remove the items, or would they refuse?

I don't know, I expect some would do and some wouldn't.
Schools have two jobs:

1) Educate
2) Prepare people for jobs

Wearing a hijab hinders neither so there is no justification for a ban.
Is there an argument for wearing hijab in school that doesn't double as an argument against uniform? I couldn't care less what other people wear, as long as it's not too revealing, it doesn't cover the face or they've been forced to wear it (in which case, I still don't care what they're wearing, I just care that they were forced). However, schools have uniforms, and it's an unacceptable double-standard to let people go against it for religious reasons. If, for example, all students were allowed to wear a headscarf that didn't obscure the face, I wouldn't have a single problem with it, but I don't think that would be the case. Same for a beard, long hair, a small necklace, etc., as long as it remains appropriate for the activity they're taking part in (especially things like science, PE, maybe even food tech).
Reply 70
That's a bit like saying that boys should be allowed to wear school dresses or skirts...in other words, nonsensical.
yawn
That's a bit like saying that boys should be allowed to wear school dresses or skirts...in other words, nonsensical.

What's nonsensical about cross-dressing?
yawn

??? One, that's rather offensive. Two, that's nonsensical, because you seem to think girls wearing trousers is fine. Three, how is it? If the argument is that muslim girls deserve the freedom to wear something that doesn't interfere with their schooling but still is against uniform because they have the right to express themselves in this way, and should have the freedom to wear what they like within reason, why can't children of other or no religions do the same? Especially because my example was about non-muslim girls wearing headscarves, ie dressing more modestly, not just allowing fashion clothes or shorter skirts, et cetera. If uniforms were just changed to allow these religious symbols/manners of presenting oneself (probably, with clothing, still having to match the school colours), every student should be allowed to wear them, regardless of faith. What's nonsensical about that?
yawn

As a matter of interest, my gran tells me that when she was nursing years ago, nurses weren't allowed to wear wedding rings whilst working, as they were considered potential sources for the spread of bacteria. Nurses had to wear their rings around their neck on a chain placed on the inside of their uniform. Would that be a justifiable restriction these days?

yep my gran told me the same thing - nowadays you can wear your wedding ring on your finger (depending on your role of course)
silverbolt
yep my gran told me the same thing - nowadays you can wear your wedding ring on your finger (depending on your role of course)

Does that include Light Sabres and energon weapons? :dong: ...(depending on your role of course -Jedi or Transformer). :reddy::whip
Reply 75
rinabean
Is there an argument for wearing hijab in school that doesn't double as an argument against uniform? I couldn't care less what other people wear, as long as it's not too revealing, it doesn't cover the face or they've been forced to wear it (in which case, I still don't care what they're wearing, I just care that they were forced). However, schools have uniforms, and it's an unacceptable double-standard to let people go against it for religious reasons. If, for example, all students were allowed to wear a headscarf that didn't obscure the face, I wouldn't have a single problem with it, but I don't think that would be the case. Same for a beard, long hair, a small necklace, etc., as long as it remains appropriate for the activity they're taking part in (especially things like science, PE, maybe even food tech).

I just pointed out earlier up that a hijab is neither against the law, nor does it contravene uniform policy.
Socrates
I just pointed out earlier up that a hijab is neither against the law, nor does it contravene uniform policy.

I know it's not against the law, I'm sorry if it looked like my post said that! I also understand that wearing things like this for religious reasons doesn't go against uniform policy; however, it does go against the actual uniform (which generally forbids head-coverings indoors). My point is that religion shouldn't be an excuse to get special treatment when it comes to uniform. If these girls really believe that they must wear hijab, fine: but let's make it a possibility for all children to wear headscarves, if they so desire. If some children are allowed, I'm guessing it's not a health risk. If it is a health risk, then none of them should be allowed, regardless of their beliefs.
Reply 77
rinabean
however, it does go against the actual uniform (which generally forbids head-coverings indoors).

Really? I went to variety of comprehensives throughout my schooling life, and we didn't have such a rule...
Socrates
Really? I went to variety of comprehensives throughout my schooling life, and we didn't have such a rule...

Hehe, maybe you went to better schools than mine?

It seems to me that, just above the very worst schools, you get some bad schools who desperately try to improve behaviour and exam results with things like strict uniforms, and enforcing that 'no-one can sit down before the teacher says so' rule in the lower school. Mine was one of those :P I think all the schools in my area have strict uniform policies - there's only one good school, and theirs are actually stricter, because they have a sixth form uniform and not a sixth form dress code. *shrug* It could also be to do with the (geographical) area the school's in, though I'm not sure what the relationship would be.
Reply 79
Wear whatever you like whenever you like.

I often wish I could just not put clothes on (f-ing hassle). Sadly 'society' frowns on full public nudity. Bunch of prudes...

Latest

Trending

Trending