The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should Muslim Women be Allowed to Wear the Hijab in State Schools?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Socrates
Really? I went to variety of comprehensives throughout my schooling life, and we didn't have such a rule...

That's a good point. Are there rules restricting hats in school?
Reply 81
Rusty33
That's a good point. Are there rules restricting hats in school?

The wearing of hats in school is considered ill-mannered in polite society - apart I guess from school chefs, kitchen staff and those whose faith expects head apparel to be worn at all times ie Sikhs, Muslims, orthodox Jews and some other sects that requires that girls wear scarves (Amish and such like.) The list is not exhaustive...:wink:
Reply 82
Socrates
Really? I went to variety of comprehensives throughout my schooling life, and we didn't have such a rule...

We also did not have any such ruling (I remember that many individuals within the school opted to wear the hijab).
I would argue that a muslim woman should not be allowed to wear a Hijab in a State School, especially one in England. I am really frustrated with people believing they can just move to England and continue to dress their own way. When you move to a country you follow THEIR customs and wear THERE clothes.
A hijjab is impractical for any school related job anyway.
Reply 84
jelly1000
When you move to a country you follow THEIR customs and wear THERE clothes.

Maybe if you spoke proper English, we might be more inclined to take you seriously...:rofl:

BTW, do list me the "English" attire that you deem suitable...next you'll want yellow stars for the suspicious ones...oh wait.
jelly1000
I am really frustrated with people believing they can just move to England and continue to dress their own way. When you move to a country you follow THEIR customs and wear THERE clothes.
Ha. I could wear a ****ing kurta all day if I wanted and there's not a thing you could do. I get the feeling you'd rather immigrants walked around in Umbro tracksuits and a cheap hoodie to 'fit in'. **** that.
jelly1000
What, like writing...?:rolleyes:
Reply 86
Anything that covers the face is impractical because it makes it difficult to determine if the person is actually the student they claim to be, and hinders communication. I know if I were a parent I'd be leery about my child being taught by someone when no one would be able to determine their identity immediately. That just seems like a matter of safety to me, not religion.
yawn
That's a bit like saying that boys should be allowed to wear school dresses or skirts...in other words, nonsensical.

Well I find the hijab nonsensical, but looks like the government says schools can't discriminate on grounds of belief or gender no matter how nonsensical one may find it (thanks for bringing that to our attention btw). Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander too.
taliasuri
Anything that covers the face is impractical because it makes it difficult to determine if the person is actually the student they claim to be, and hinders communication. I know if I were a parent I'd be leery about my child being taught by someone when no one would be able to determine their identity immediately. That just seems like a matter of safety to me, not religion.

You're thinking of a niqab, not a hijab.
Reply 89
One thing I like about my local public school system, meaning govt funded, is that hearwead of any sort is not allowed. We don't have to wear uniforms, but the sort of thing that can be worn is restricted. No sagging, no hats, necklaces can only reach a certain length, anything gang related, such as a kerchief hanging out of the back pocket, is resticted, no open shirts, no non-presciption eyewear, etc. It really does allow kids to be expressive in their clothing choices, while curbing the problems many here have addresses with non-uniform wearing schools.
Reply 90
jelly1000
I would argue that a muslim woman should not be allowed to wear a Hijab in a State School, especially one in England. I am really frustrated with people believing they can just move to England and continue to dress their own way. When you move to a country you follow THEIR customs and wear THERE clothes.

Lets see. Suppose you went to Arab or any other Muslim country and joined an institute for studies or for a job or whatever. You find that everyone around you is wearing Hijab and its the norm over here. Would you also wear a hijab then?

Answer the question in a Yes or No. If No then why should a islamic women not wear hijab in England? I doubt if you would be willing to wear a hijab if you went to an Islamic country.

Im a muslim by the way and everyone SHOULD be able to follow their own religion no matter they are in England or in Arab. It doesnt really matter !!..
Reply 91
Basically I'd argue that it depends on the school's dress code. If it doesn't allow for casual headwear, i.e. baseball caps, then it really shouldn't make any exception for religious reasons. Religion simply isn't a good enough reason to be 'different'.
Reply 92
_jackofdiamonds
Well I find the hijab nonsensical, but looks like the government says schools can't discriminate on grounds of belief or gender no matter how nonsensical one may find it (thanks for bringing that to our attention btw). Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander too.

I don't think the discrimination laws that relate to gender are actually intended to apply to boys wearing girls clothes.

However, you could always test it and wear a nice frock to school. Are you going to exercise your 'right' to do so?

And if you do, let us know where and when and we can all be there to support you. :biggrin:
Reply 93
Religion simply isn't a good enough reason to be 'different'.

It is as far as the 'Religions and Beliefs' (Regulations 2003) are relevant.
yawn
I don't think the discrimination laws that relate to gender are actually intended to apply to boys wearing girls clothes.

However, you could always test it and wear a nice frock to school. Are you going to exercise your 'right' to do so?

And if you do, let us know where and when and we can all be there to support you. :biggrin:

Well the girls could wear trousers to school, so I think it's only fair. In fact women seem to want to wear the trousers everywhere these days.
yawn

Well you could wear the kilt and test it out.
Reply 96
_jackofdiamonds
Well the girls could wear trousers to school, so I think it's only fair. In fact women seem to want to wear the trousers everywhere these days.

The uniform rules at the school I am connected with does not permit girls to wear trousers.
Reply 97
ChemistBoy
Well you could wear the kilt and test it out.

Who...me? Girls already wear uniform kilts, boys wear suits. Since we do not permit girls to wear trousers the question of equality doesn't arise.
Reply 98
I wonder if there are more major problems on earth caused by religion than not?
Reply 99
Rusty33
I wonder if there are more major problems on earth caused by religion than not?

Religion D&D is littered with the same question. Have a browse via the search engine for such threads on there.

Latest

Trending

Trending