The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
If they don't require maths the course will be designed to give you whatever maths assistance is needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i ask them that thing you said but i might speak with some office staff because they email me back with nonsense answer so i might have to speak with some lecture if they got assist i will pick it up for sure but can i post here the link too see if they need maths?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Bill albanis
Yeah i ask them that thing you said but i might speak with some office staff because they email me back with nonsense answer so i might have to speak with some lecture if they got assist i will pick it up for sure but can i post here the link too see if they need maths?

Yes, post the link :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computer-networking-and-cyber-security---bsc-hons/ here is the link if can anyone help i would appreciate it thanks a lot. I hope i will find a solution on my probs
Reply 23
Original post by Bill albanis
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computer-networking-and-cyber-security---bsc-hons/ here is the link if can anyone help i would appreciate it thanks a lot. I hope i will find a solution on my probs

You don't need Maths A-level:

a minimum of grades BB or CCE (or a minimum of 80 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification, eg BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma/Diploma; or Advanced Diploma; or Progression Diploma; or Access to HE Diploma of 60 credits)

English Language and Mathematics GCSE at grade C (grade 4 from 2017) or above

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey, I'm just wondering, from the perspective of someone about to enter a CS / Software Engineering degree (with plenty of maths background, but less programming experience) - isn't maths an absolutely critical part of CS? I would assume you need a solid base in linear algebra, differential equations, and calculus to do all sorts of things: AI and machine learning, cyber security, even graphics and physics engines for game design. It just seems like such a core part of the subject. For those unis that don't require maths for entry to their programs, how do they deal with that? Is first year just an intense crash course in maths? If so, doesn't that take away learning time from all the other stuff? Are the programs noticeably different?
Original post by Shishkabobs
Hey, I'm just wondering, from the perspective of someone about to enter a CS / Software Engineering degree (with plenty of maths background, but less programming experience) - isn't maths an absolutely critical part of CS? I would assume you need a solid base in linear algebra, differential equations, and calculus to do all sorts of things: AI and machine learning, cyber security, even graphics and physics engines for game design. It just seems like such a core part of the subject. For those unis that don't require maths for entry to their programs, how do they deal with that? Is first year just an intense crash course in maths? If so, doesn't that take away learning time from all the other stuff? Are the programs noticeably different?

Might depend on the university. My brother for example got into KCL for comp sci with only a BTEC in ICT and a year of relevant work experience and is currently a front office associate software engineer for Goldman Sachs (and a very good one at that), and he didn't even know what differentiation was when I asked him the other day (not kidding).
How up to date is this post? I can see that Newcastle is listed here as not requiring maths but on it's website "GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6 required."
Original post by mastercooker
How up to date is this post? I can see that Newcastle is listed here as not requiring maths but on it's website "GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6 required."

This thread is about A-Level maths requirements. Nearly all of those universities will probably require a B or C at GCSE.
Original post by winterscoming
This thread is about A-Level maths requirements. Nearly all of those universities will probably require a B or C at GCSE.

Oh lol, sorry, I misread...
This is a very late response to your question but hopefully may be helpful to others!
Yes, you're right. Maths is a critical foundation to Computer Science. However, not everyone who has the aptitude to be a talented computer scientist chooses maths at A-level which is why we don't specify maths, or indeed computer science, as an A-level requirement. At the University of Kent the first year of the Computer Science programmes are spent getting our students, from a variety of academic backgrounds, to the same level of maths and programming knowledge (specifically object-oriented programming). For some of our students the first year is a chance to consolidate existing knowledge (whilst also learning new things), for others it is a steeper learning curve.
Original post by Shishkabobs
does anyone know which one of these universities accept btec only?
Original post by csmarketingkent
This is a very late response to your question but hopefully may be helpful to others!
Yes, you're right. Maths is a critical foundation to Computer Science. However, not everyone who has the aptitude to be a talented computer scientist chooses maths at A-level which is why we don't specify maths, or indeed computer science, as an A-level requirement. At the University of Kent the first year of the Computer Science programmes are spent getting our students, from a variety of academic backgrounds, to the same level of maths and programming knowledge (specifically object-oriented programming). For some of our students the first year is a chance to consolidate existing knowledge (whilst also learning new things), for others it is a steeper learning curve.

Is there any way you can find out if you have an aptitude for Computer Science?
Reply 32
Original post by MongoDB
Might depend on the university. My brother for example got into KCL for comp sci with only a BTEC in ICT and a year of relevant work experience and is currently a front office associate software engineer for Goldman Sachs (and a very good one at that), and he didn't even know what differentiation was when I asked him the other day (not kidding).

This makes me very hopeful
Honestly if ur gonna do computer science without maths whats the point. Computer science is nothing but problems solving and so is maths, which is why all the good unis require you to have maths so that they know you have a strong sense of problem solving. Those "rusell group" unis that allow Comp Sci without maths arent even in the top 10 to 15 in the Computer Science Top Unis list. Them being "Russel Group" doesn't meant ****, simply because its a Russel Group due to how the uni is as a WHOLE, for example, Kings is really good for Science related courses like Medicine and BioChem however in terms of computer science it is nowhere near good. Maths is imperitive for a strong computer science career. If you don't like maths then maybe rethink why u are doing CS in the first place since its heavily maths. Even if u make it to uni CS without maths, most jobs require u to have it, without out it u will probs get quite a low paying job. And seeing as most people here are doing CS for the money mainly and not for the love of problem-solving (seeing as they dont like maths) then it goes to show u might aswell re-consider ur career seeing as u won't make much money in CS without maths anyways.
Original post by vishalpitala
Honestly if ur gonna do computer science without maths whats the point. Computer science is nothing but problems solving and so is maths, which is why all the good unis require you to have maths so that they know you have a strong sense of problem solving. Those "rusell group" unis that allow Comp Sci without maths arent even in the top 10 to 15 in the Computer Science Top Unis list. Them being "Russel Group" doesn't meant ****, simply because its a Russel Group due to how the uni is as a WHOLE, for example, Kings is really good for Science related courses like Medicine and BioChem however in terms of computer science it is nowhere near good. Maths is imperitive for a strong computer science career. If you don't like maths then maybe rethink why u are doing CS in the first place since its heavily maths. Even if u make it to uni CS without maths, most jobs require u to have it, without out it u will probs get quite a low paying job. And seeing as most people here are doing CS for the money mainly and not for the love of problem-solving (seeing as they dont like maths) then it goes to show u might aswell re-consider ur career seeing as u won't make much money in CS without maths anyways.

People tend to study non-mathematical Computer Science degrees to find jobs based in computing and technology - of which about 95% are not mathematical at all and don't even particularly need a degree, although university is a good place to learn those skills.

For example, there's no need for maths in jobs such as software engineering, hardware engineering, web development, networking, infrastructure, cybersecurity, devops/techops, etc. -- These all tend to be highly-paid and highly-skilled jobs, although the skills needed for them usually don't involve any mathematical modelling, nor solving esoteric mathematical problems either. Instead they're about understanding technology and solving problems which are rooted in the real-world of applying technology to problems about businesses and people as well as to hardware/software tools/devices.

The purpose of studying a non-mathematical Computing/CompSci degree is to learn the skills to solve technical problems for the real world (for example, skills in programming, databases, operating systems, APIs, software frameworks, agile project planning, data representation, cloud computing, GUI design, and many other similarly non-mathematical topics). They're also about solving problems related to building/maintaining computer systems which are used by people and businesses -- that typically includes things like being able to work with complex data, automating manual processes, analysing business requirements, understanding how people/users interact with technology, being able to learn how software systems work and what they do, understanding electronic communication, securing against threats, making things user-friendly/human-friendly, etc.

There's no need at all to have mathematical skills in any of these, most people who do these kinds of jobs are not mathematicians, and indeed businesses generally couldn't care in the slightest about hiring mathematicians to do non-mathematical jobs.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by winterscoming
People tend to study non-mathematical Computer Science degrees to find jobs based in computing and technology - of which about 95% are not mathematical at all and don't even particularly need a degree, although university is a good place to learn those skills.

For example, there's no need for maths in jobs such as software engineering, hardware engineering, web development, networking, infrastructure, cybersecurity, devops/techops, etc. -- These all tend to be highly-paid and highly-skilled jobs, although the skills needed for them usually don't involve any mathematical modelling, nor solving esoteric mathematical problems either. Instead they're about understanding technology and solving problems which are rooted in the real-world of applying technology to problems about businesses and people as well as to hardware/software tools/devices.

The purpose of studying a non-mathematical Computing/CompSci degree is to learn the skills to solve technical problems for the real world (for example, skills in programming, databases, operating systems, APIs, software frameworks, agile project planning, data representation, cloud computing, GUI design, and many other similarly non-mathematical topics). They're also about solving problems related to building/maintaining computer systems which are used by people and businesses -- that typically includes things like being able to work with complex data, automating manual processes, analysing business requirements, understanding how people/users interact with technology, being able to learn how software systems work and what they do, understanding electronic communication, securing against threats, making things user-friendly/human-friendly, etc.

There's no need at all to have mathematical skills in any of these, most people who do these kinds of jobs are not mathematicians, and indeed businesses generally couldn't care in the slightest about hiring mathematicians to do non-mathematical jobs.

First of all, reading over these I can clearly see some of the words you used. "Problem-solving" "Analysing data" all of which are key skills in mathematics. A lot of people misunderstand mathematics as just doing questions and equations. No, its mainly about Problem-solving and lateral thinking which is key in any Computer Science related job. Which is exactly why all the Top Computer Science course in Unis require Maths A-Levels, no Uni that says they don't need maths for CS is even in the top 20 Computer Science unis and it really goes to show how important it is. Coming from experience I can tell you that all employers look at what uni you went to and that really impacts their decision about hiring you. And for CS, yes employers 100% care about your Maths skills, forget problem-solving and stuff aswell , maths is related to CS so much just as much as maths is related to Physics. The reason some people say that CS doesn't need maths is because they think CS is all about just coding, no its more than that, coding is much more than what people think. There are so many elements of maths in coding and CS that ppl dont understand.
First of all, reading over these I can clearly see some of the words you used. "Problem-solving" "Analysing data" all of which are key skills in mathematics.

They are key skills in many things which have nothing whatsoever to do with mathematics too. There is no need to study mathematics to learn about problem solving or analysing data.

Problem solving is a general skill which is learned through having practice in solving problems, it's not something which needs a university education and it certainly does not need maths.

A lot of people misunderstand mathematics as just doing questions and equations. No, its mainly about Problem-solving and lateral thinking which is key in any Computer Science related job. Which is exactly why all the Top Computer Science course in Unis require Maths A-Levels, no Uni that says they don't need maths for CS is even in the top 20 Computer Science unis and it really goes to show how important it is.

Those top universities are focused on studying the computer science from an academic point of view, not from the point of view of learning the skills needed for working in technical IT jobs, and not from the point of view of learning to solve real-world problems.

Coming from experience I can tell you that all employers look at what uni you went to and that really impacts their decision about hiring you.

Your experience is not at all representative of what happens in the vast majority of companies or jobs.

Most employers couldn't care in the slightest which university someone went to, it does not play a part in their decision to hire anyone. Employers hire people based on their skills, experience and their ability to do the job. They aren't really interested in paper qualifications.

To get a better idea, take a look at websites like CWJobs - you'll see the kinds of skills, experience and background that employers are looking for there -- you will find loads of job descriptions for companies hiring Network engineers, cloud engineers, hardware engineers, cybersecurity analysts, software engineers, web developers, etc -- However, you will notice that the descriptions of those jobs don't mention anything about having a maths background;

The kinds of attributes that employers will be looking for are people who have specific experience in solving technical problems, being able to use particular technologies, understand technical concepts and being able to apply those skills to real-world problems that relate to technology, businesses and people.

Ultimately, employers are looking to hire people who are capable of getting a job done - businesses are about making money, they're not about rewarding people who happened to be academically successful. Indeed the kinds of things people often study on highly academic and theoretical degrees at those high-ranked universities is usually a long way detached from the needs of businesses in the real world.

And for CS, yes employers 100% care about your Maths skills, forget problem-solving and stuff aswell , maths is related to CS so much just as much as maths is related to Physics. The reason some people say that CS doesn't need maths is because they think CS is all about just coding, no its more than that, coding is much more than what people think. There are so many elements of maths in coding and CS that ppl dont understand.

Going back to the kinds of jobs I mentioned earlier, most jobs in technology and computing are not related to maths or physics, and aren't even really related to the kinds of "pure" computer science topics covered at top universities either.

Again, I'm looking at most real-world jobs (i.e. not the "niche" jobs like cutting-edge R&D into AI/Machine learning or other academic/research jobs), most people with a computing background will usually end up in jobs such as network/infrastructure engineering, Techops/devops, Software engineering, web development, hardware engineering, cybersecurity, etc.

One thing that most people who do those jobs will tell you is that the skills they use on a day-to-day basis are not the kinds of things that require a maths background -- For example, if you've ever built a system using Amazon Web services, or maybe built a web app using ASP.NET/HTML/JavaScript, or perhaps worked in a team installing/configuring/securing the VMs/servers on a large corporate network, or maybe built and administered a huge database-driven system using loads of complicated relational tables in SQL, etc. All of those need a lot of technical expertise, but they do not need any kind of background in mathematics.
(edited 4 years ago)
First of all, reading over these I can clearly see some of the words you used. "Problem-solving" "Analysing data" all of which are key skills in mathematics. A lot of people misunderstand mathematics as just doing questions and equations. No, its mainly about Problem-solving and lateral thinking which is key in any Computer Science related job. Which is exactly why all the Top Computer Science course in Unis require Maths A-Levels, no Uni that says they don't need maths for CS is even in the top 20 Computer Science unis and it really goes to show how important it is. Coming from experience I can tell you that all employers look at what uni you went to and that really impacts their decision about hiring you. And for CS, yes employers 100% care about your Maths skills, forget problem-solving and stuff aswell , maths is related to CS so much just as much as maths is related to Physics. The reason some people say that CS doesn't need maths is because they think CS is all about just coding, no its more than that, coding is much more than what people think. There are so many elements of maths in coding and CS that ppl dont understand.

The university of Nottingham,Leeds Newcastle, KCL are generally considered top 20 but don't require mathematics
Reply 38
Original post by littleswany
Hey everyone I'm Littleswany one of the CAs for this forum.

I have seen a couple of discussions here about wether Maths is needed to study Computer Science at X University, or can I go to a good uni to study CS even though I didn't take math.So this thread.

I will try to keep it updated be please let me know if something needs updating

Russell Group Universities for CS that dont need Maths:

Cardiff University

Kings College London (See Note Below)

Spoiler

University of Leeds+ (See Note Below)

Spoiler

University of Liverpool+ (See Note Below)

Spoiler

Newcastle University

University of Nottingham

Queen Mary University of London*

Other Universities for CS that don't need Maths

City University (See not below)

Spoiler

University of East Anglia+

Lancaster University*

University of Kent*

Cardiff University*

Leicester University*

Queen Mary University of London*

University of Reading*

Swansea University*

University of Worcester

Birmingham City University

* - Grade B at GCSE maths and above & Thanks to @Princepieman for contributing these

+ - Require a mathsy/science subject (CS or Maths or Physics or Chemistry or Econ) & Thanks to @Princepieman for contributing these

Spoiler

Does this work for international requirements such as no maths but science in CBSE?
The University of Edinburgh, Maths is Important and a key aspect

Latest

Trending

Trending