The Student Room Group

What a level subject should I pick from this info gonn apick chem and bio 💯

My degree options what I wanna study at uni
1.MPHARM (PHARMACIST)-UOM
2.MPHARM (PHARMACIST)-UCL
3.BAEcon ACCOUNTING & FINANCE (ACCOUNTANT/IB)-UOM
4.BSc (Hons) COMPUTER SCIENCE (SOFTWARE ENGINEER,CYBER SECURITIST,DATA ANALYST,IT PROJECT MANAGER/HEAD OF A BIG COMPANY )-MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
5.BSc (Hons) APPLIED COMPUTING (SOFTWARE ENGINEER,CYBER SECURITIST,DATA ANALYST,IT PROJECT MANAGER/HEAD OF A BIG COMPANY )-MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology (and Further Mathematics)
Reply 2
Nope I do not even wanna do maths forget further maths which find hard and forget physics aswell defo not picking maths and physics and picking 3 subjects only chemistry and biology going to 💯 and either Psychology,Business Studies,Economics or CS rn leading to either psychology or cs which should I pick from my info before and my interest on what I wanna be???

Original post by FirebeaconGaming
Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology (and Further Mathematics)
You will seriously limit your CS options if you don't take maths and once on the course, there will be a maths element in what you study. I am assuming these courses are some that don't need maths?
Original post by aryc_30
Nope I do not even wanna do maths forget further maths which find hard and forget physics aswell defo not picking maths and physics and picking 3 subjects only chemistry and biology going to 💯 and either Psychology,Business Studies,Economics or CS rn leading to either psychology or cs which should I pick from my info before and my interest on what I wanna be???

why would you consider accounting or computer science if you have no interest in Maths and Physics?

you don't even need Computer Science for most computer science/software engineering courses - you need Maths and Further Maths is highly recommended
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
I wanna do either Economics or Psychology

Original post by FirebeaconGaming
why would you consider accounting or computer science if you have no interest in Maths and Physics?

you don't even need Computer Science for most computer science/software engineering courses - you need Maths and Further Maths is highly recommended
Original post by aryc_30

that’s not maths? have u looked at the entry requirements?
I would pick psychology based on what you have said.
If you want to do computer science you can then pick to do a foundation year before the degree, to pick up the maths you need.
Original post by aryc_30

look at the entry requirements for the courses that you want to do, to help you choose your A-Levels
Original post by aryc_30
4.BSc (Hons) COMPUTER SCIENCE (SOFTWARE ENGINEER,CYBER SECURITIST,DATA ANALYST,IT PROJECT MANAGER/HEAD OF A BIG COMPANY )-MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
5.BSc (Hons) APPLIED COMPUTING (SOFTWARE ENGINEER,CYBER SECURITIST,DATA ANALYST,IT PROJECT MANAGER/HEAD OF A BIG COMPANY )-MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY

As above, if you don't want to do maths then you won't want to do CS.

More importantly, this is not a sensible combination of choices to apply to. You only get one personal statement for all your unis and they want to see engagement with the course you are applying to. There is no way you can write a personal statement for pharmacy, accounting, and CS simultaneously. Pick one course and be done with it.

Since you apparently don't like maths I suggest the choice not be CS.

Also you can be "head of a big company" with any degree. I mean strictly speaking you can probably practically become an IT project manager with any degree, as they aren't being hired for their knowledge of CS directly usually but for their ability to manage people who do know about CS.

You can go into investment banking with any degree, although you realistically need to aim for a target uni for that. You can go into accountancy with any degree at all, including at the big 4, from whatever uni.
Original post by aryc_30

Hi @aryc_30

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Manchester Met!

All of our computing degrees require applicants to have at least one A-level in IT, Computer Science or Mathematics and GCSE 4 or above in English Language and Maths.

Other posters do make a good point - Computer Science and Applied Computing are heavily maths based, so if you don't like maths then I'm not sure it'd be the best idea to commit to studying these courses for 3 years. Have a think about the subjects you enjoy, how they could align with your future career plans and look at the entry requirements for each course you've mentioned to help you make an informed decision. It might be worth meeting with your schools/colleges career advisers as well who should be able to help you make that decision :smile:

I hope this helps!

Chloe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending