The Student Room Group

Marketing and management / computer science bsc msc

I'm thinking about getting a undergraduate degree in marketing and management/business and then a masters in computer science.
I'm not sure if I should purse computer science and then marketing or marketing and then computer science.
I have also considered combining economics and marketing but I'm not too sure if that's even an option I can pursue due to location.

I know it might seem like an odd mix but there jobs which require marketers to have computer science knowledge or even a bsc and msc in both. There are some business related jobs which require a computer science degree but a business background.

My dream would be to gain experience in both sectors while starting a small business, I feel like both degrees would help in learning how to marketing ,brand and management the business, creating an app, website and whatever else tech has to offer.

I would love to be able to gain experience in both sectors but its practically impossible at the moment most jobs require a degree or experience that I don't have.

I've been doing online courses for both subjects , compared job roles , salaries , percentage of people who get a job in their related field.

I've compared masters and looked at requirements most universities will consider someone for a marketing masters without a business bsc and universities that's offer a computer science masters for people who have no prior knowledge or experience they aren't too far from where I would ideally like to live.
I realise work experience might be an issue if I decide to do a computer science masters but Kent offers a placement year and modules in AI which is a bonus.

I'm currently on an access course luckily enough most universities don't care which subject it is for a marketing degree so it would ideally only be a 4 year degree including a placement year, however, computer science degrees requires an access in computer science or physics /maths which none of my local colleges offer. Although alot of universities offer foundation year it would mean spending an extra year plus a placement year making it a 5 year degree .

I would really appreciate some advice.
Original post by Rose_99
I'm thinking about getting a undergraduate degree in marketing and management/business and then a masters in computer science.
I'm not sure if I should purse computer science and then marketing or marketing and then computer science.
I have also considered combining economics and marketing but I'm not too sure if that's even an option I can pursue due to location.

I know it might seem like an odd mix but there jobs which require marketers to have computer science knowledge or even a bsc and msc in both. There are some business related jobs which require a computer science degree but a business background.

My dream would be to gain experience in both sectors while starting a small business, I feel like both degrees would help in learning how to marketing ,brand and management the business, creating an app, website and whatever else tech has to offer.

I would love to be able to gain experience in both sectors but its practically impossible at the moment most jobs require a degree or experience that I don't have.

I've been doing online courses for both subjects , compared job roles , salaries , percentage of people who get a job in their related field.

I've compared masters and looked at requirements most universities will consider someone for a marketing masters without a business bsc and universities that's offer a computer science masters for people who have no prior knowledge or experience they aren't too far from where I would ideally like to live.
I realise work experience might be an issue if I decide to do a computer science masters but Kent offers a placement year and modules in AI which is a bonus.

I'm currently on an access course luckily enough most universities don't care which subject it is for a marketing degree so it would ideally only be a 4 year degree including a placement year, however, computer science degrees requires an access in computer science or physics /maths which none of my local colleges offer. Although alot of universities offer foundation year it would mean spending an extra year plus a placement year making it a 5 year degree .

I would really appreciate some advice.

It would then be significantly easier if you specify what the location you want to look into. I don't know why you want to restrict your options by restricting your location, but if you want to restrict your location, it's probably the first thing you should specify if you are looking for advice.
A quick google search shows that there are only a handful of universities that do a joint undergrad in marketing and economics:

Strathclyde

Goldsmiths

Liverpool Hope

Dundee

You might have a problem applying to the Scottish universities with an Access course, but you are fine with Goldsmith and Liverpool Hope.

This is the first time that I have come across someone saying you need a degree in order to get into marketing or computer science. As far as I know, you don't need anything to get into either fields in industry.
Unless you intend to pursue a PhD that involves both computing and marketing, then I don't see the rationale in doing both subjects.

Keeping things simple huh?
The problem wit starting a business alongside of a job is that the employer might not like it. If it's in a similar industry, the employer will raise issues of it being a conflict of interest. Most employers wouldn't care if you're in a junior role, and it's something small and doesn't affect your work. If you intend to start a business, what would it be in exactly?
If you intend to start a business in tech or marketing, then you don't specifically need degrees for them. The only time where I would see the possibility of having a degree in this context would be something in computer engineering, but that's if you intend to go into the manufacturing side of things.
If you want to do a course to learn to create apps and websites, you can do courses that aren't degrees.
I don't know which area in tech you are interested in since it's not exactly a small niche e.g. cybersecurity, AI, data, networking, web development, project management, business analysis, etc.

Most computer science master's degrees don't ask for work experience. They usually mandate that you have the right grade in your undergrad. Some degrees will ask for a quantiative undergrad with quite a bit of programming, but that's for advanced computer science courses.
Some universities might consider relevant work experience up to 3 years to be equivalent of an undergrad in computer science, but that's in place of a degree with programming, if the course requires it.

computer science degrees requires an access in computer science or physics /maths which none of my local colleges offer.
Have you called up the undergrad admissions personnel in the computer science departments of the universities that you want to apply for? If you did and you have explained your situation to them, you would have realised that you could supplement your Access course with an A Level in Maths. This would allow you to meet the necessary entry requirements.
I suggest you double check before you go off at a tangent.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
It would then be significantly easier if you specify what the location you want to look into. I don't know why you want to restrict your options by restricting your location, but if you want to restrict your location, it's probably the first thing you should specify if you are looking for advice.
A quick google search shows that there are only a handful of universities that do a joint undergrad in marketing and economics:

Strathclyde

Goldsmiths

Liverpool Hope

Dundee

You might have a problem applying to the Scottish universities with an Access course, but you are fine with Goldsmith and Liverpool Hope.

This is the first time that I have come across someone saying you need a degree in order to get into marketing or computer science. As far as I know, you don't need anything to get into either fields in industry.
Unless you intend to pursue a PhD that involves both computing and marketing, then I don't see the rationale in doing both subjects.

Keeping things simple huh?
The problem wit starting a business alongside of a job is that the employer might not like it. If it's in a similar industry, the employer will raise issues of it being a conflict of interest. Most employers wouldn't care if you're in a junior role, and it's something small and doesn't affect your work. If you intend to start a business, what would it be in exactly?
If you intend to start a business in tech or marketing, then you don't specifically need degrees for them. The only time where I would see the possibility of having a degree in this context would be something in computer engineering, but that's if you intend to go into the manufacturing side of things.
If you want to do a course to learn to create apps and websites, you can do courses that aren't degrees.
I don't know which area in tech you are interested in since it's not exactly a small niche e.g. cybersecurity, AI, data, networking, web development, project management, business analysis, etc.

Most computer science master's degrees don't ask for work experience. They usually mandate that you have the right grade in your undergrad. Some degrees will ask for a quantiative undergrad with quite a bit of programming, but that's for advanced computer science courses.
Some universities might consider relevant work experience up to 3 years to be equivalent of an undergrad in computer science, but that's in place of a degree with programming, if the course requires it.

computer science degrees requires an access in computer science or physics /maths which none of my local colleges offer.
Have you called up the undergrad admissions personnel in the computer science departments of the universities that you want to apply for? If you did and you have explained your situation to them, you would have realised that you could supplement your Access course with an A Level in Maths. This would allow you to meet the necessary entry requirements.
I suggest you double check before you go off at a tangent.

I'm restricting my local due to the cost of rent. The only university outside of where I would ideally want to live is Durham due to their employability and repetutation. I also need to think about im going to travel to the bottom of the country to the top.

Alot of employers are becoming more picky, I was being considered for an entry level marketing job until we spoke about education and they realised I didn't have a degree in marketing. That was only a small company. When I have looked at jobs on indeed outside of my local area , most employers want people either in university or with a degree or a degree plus experience.

Haha I always keep things simply and yeah although it's not illegal to start a small business while employed I would need to double check any future contracts. To be honest I always wanted to set my own fashion brand which has an app/website that helps users choose items by taking a photo /scan of the user, using information such as their measurements , height and what fit they would prefer and showing how an outfit they have selected would look on them. I have a couple of other ideas to do with a haircare line / a just eat for hair services.

I just meant some universities offer placement years on their masters as some employers prefer a degree and work experience

I suppose currently I'm interested different areas of computer science such as ethical hacking , web&app development, mainly software engineering and ai not too sure about business analysis . It's some areas i need to look further in to.

I have two colleges , one is in my local area they only offer alevels to school leavers and their access to HE Diplomas are only in art, science, business management and psychology.
The other college which I'm currently with only offers alevels to schools and their access to HE Diplomas are in business , law , social science, psychology and health science .

I have checked with universities and they have said they require a level math or access to HE in maths, physics or computer science or I can do a foundation year. I will expand my search, I will also speak to a family member about studying computer science as they went to uni to study computer science and they've been working in tech for 20 years plus.

Thank you for the advice
Original post by Rose_99
I'm restricting my local due to the cost of rent. The only university outside of where I would ideally want to live is Durham due to their employability and repetutation. I also need to think about im going to travel to the bottom of the country to the top.

Alot of employers are becoming more picky, I was being considered for an entry level marketing job until we spoke about education and they realised I didn't have a degree in marketing. That was only a small company. When I have looked at jobs on indeed outside of my local area , most employers want people either in university or with a degree or a degree plus experience.

Haha I always keep things simply and yeah although it's not illegal to start a small business while employed I would need to double check any future contracts. To be honest I always wanted to set my own fashion brand which has an app/website that helps users choose items by taking a photo /scan of the user, using information such as their measurements , height and what fit they would prefer and showing how an outfit they have selected would look on them. I have a couple of other ideas to do with a haircare line / a just eat for hair services.

I just meant some universities offer placement years on their masters as some employers prefer a degree and work experience

I suppose currently I'm interested different areas of computer science such as ethical hacking , web&app development, mainly software engineering and ai not too sure about business analysis . It's some areas i need to look further in to.

I have two colleges , one is in my local area they only offer alevels to school leavers and their access to HE Diplomas are only in art, science, business management and psychology.
The other college which I'm currently with only offers alevels to schools and their access to HE Diplomas are in business , law , social science, psychology and health science .

I have checked with universities and they have said they require a level math or access to HE in maths, physics or computer science or I can do a foundation year. I will expand my search, I will also speak to a family member about studying computer science as they went to uni to study computer science and they've been working in tech for 20 years plus.

Thank you for the advice

This is somewhat difficult to follow. Please add headings so I know what you are referring to.

If this is your first degree, then your maintenance loan should help you cover living costs.
Restricting yourself to which university you go to simply because of rent can be like shooting yourself in the foot.
The most expensive areas to live would be in London, but anywhere outside of London is usually manageable e.g. somewhere as far south as Brighton or Kent. If you're looking for a university with a brand name, consider Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Manchester.

A number of employers I know who work in marketing don't usually require this. However, each to his own.
The alternative to getting a marketing degree would be doing a professional certificate in marketing e.g. CIM, IDM, IPA, etc. If you work your way up to level 6, it would be considered the equivalent to a bachelor's. Up to level 7, it's a master's. These are usually more relevant, credible, and more widely accepted in the industry than a degree (even in marketing).
It's something similar with professional IT certificiations. I would check with the sort of employers you are looking into (ask for career advice) to see what they say.

To be honest I always wanted to set my own fashion brand which has an app/website that helps users choose items by taking a photo /scan of the user, using information such as their measurements , height and what fit they would prefer and showing how an outfit they have selected would look on them.
Already been done. There's an American company that came up with the idea about 10 years back, and then recently a British company did something similar. e.g. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9901259/This-FREE-styling-app-helps-women-clothes-REALLY-look-like-shape-size.html, https://apps.apple.com/us/app/combyne-your-perfect-outfit/id989727742, https://www.netted.net/2016/05/16/pictofit-try-on-clothing-app/
It doesn't hurt to try to create clones of these to see where your level of coding skills are, but if you're looking to create something new you're late to the game.

I have a couple of other ideas to do with a haircare line / a just eat for hair services.
Not sure if this has been tried before, but it's worth looking into.

Have you done online courses in these areas, or even consider looking into the professional certificates for them? If you haven't heard, they tend to care more about experience and skills over qualifications. These areas are also a bit all over the place, even though they are sort of centred around programming. All these areas require different types of skills, and I don't think saying you have a computer science degree is enough for you to land the job.
If you want me to help you search for professional certifications/decent courses for these areas, let me know.
If you have done projects in the above areas before, consider putting them into some sort of portfolio; it will help getting relevant jobs later down the line.

OK, cool. Consider doing an A Level in Maths after your Access course.
As far as I know, there is only one university that comes to mind that offers computer science as a degree that doesn't require A Level maths. It would severely restrict your options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending