The Student Room Group

NMR- drawing and labelling spectra.

Hi,

I've been given the molecule PF2H and I have to sketch the phosporous, flourine and hydrogen NMR spectra. Then label the peaks and coupling constants.

I think I've worked out the shape to be trigonal bipyramidal but I'm a bit confused about drawing the spectra. I think the way that I've drawn the shape shows that there is only 1 hydrogen environment, 1 phosporous environment and 1 flourine environment but I'm really unsure about drawing the coupling patterns.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hi,

I've been given the molecule PF2H and I have to sketch the phosporous, flourine and hydrogen NMR spectra. Then label the peaks and coupling constants.

I think I've worked out the shape to be trigonal bipyramidal but I'm a bit confused about drawing the spectra. I think the way that I've drawn the shape shows that there is only 1 hydrogen environment, 1 phosporous environment and 1 flourine environment but I'm really unsure about drawing the coupling patterns.

Any help would be really appreciated.

The formula you have written cannot be trigonal bipyramidal as there are too few atoms ...
Original post by charco
The formula you have written cannot be trigonal bipyramidal as there are too few atoms ...

I'm really sorry I meant trigonal pyramidal.
Reply 3
There would be coupling between hydrogen and fluorine, hydrogen and phosphorus, phosphorus and fluorine
Original post by hm7g23
There would be coupling between hydrogen and fluorine, hydrogen and phosphorus, phosphorus and fluorine

Did you realise that the OP was 5 years ago?
Reply 5
Original post by charco
Did you realise that the OP was 5 years ago?

I figured it would help other people who have a similar problem

Quick Reply

Latest