The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Mathematics: Core Mathematics C4 6666 01 - 22 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by aaldabbagh1
Capture.PNG

How do you do part B

dm/dt=10(0.98)t ln(0.98)

since m=10(0.98)t sub into dm/dt you get dm/dt= Mln(0.98)
when you solve differential equations, and you have a constant on one side. if you want to multiply both sides of the equation by a value, do you also multiply the constant by that value.
Reply 82
Original post by sdfsdd
when you solve differential equations, and you have a constant on one side. if you want to multiply both sides of the equation by a value, do you also multiply the constant by that value.

Yes. But if that constant hasn't yet be found you can just give the constant another letter
Reply 83
Original post by sdfsdd

If you’re given conditions to find the constant then always find it first before rearranging.

Otherwise, yes you should although if you multiply it by a number then it is still just a constant so doesn’t have to be written as e.g. 2C and could be written as D.
Original post by ks234r
Same! I’m doing the exam solutions exam questions by topic then imma smash about 10 past papers

I'm on examsolutions too but I'm re-learning everything from the tutorials because I haven't touched C4 in time :/ Hopefully I'll be able to get in at least 3 past papers in before the exam
Original post by yusyus
we may need to derive the derivative of arctan but i dont think we need to know either off by heart

as in differentiate tan^-1 (x) ?
Reply 86
Original post by Lisande
Please can someone help with this with steps, after bio, Chem and C3 this week my brain doesn’t want to work anymore

Find the coefficient of x^2 in the expansion of (1-x-x^2)^0.5

I believe the method is to factorise the function and then split the terms so you get (1+x)^0.5(1-2x)^0.5
Then expand each separately and multiply the expansions
Capture.PNG

can someone please explain how you go from step 1 to step 2, thanks :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by candol
I believe the method is to factorise the function and then split the terms so you get (1+x)^0.5(1-2x)^0.5
Then expand each separately and multiply the expansions

But those brackets give you 1-x-2x^2 which is not what is under the root..... that’s where I’m stuck.
Capture.PNG

ln0.5 = ln(1/2) = ln(2^-1) = -ln2
If it's to a power you take it to the front, so take -1 power to the front
Capture.PNG

0.5 is the same as 2^-1, then using log laws you bring the minus one down, hope that makes sense :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by shahzeb__m
as in differentiate tan^-1 (x) ?

ive seen it in a paper somewhere I think(may have been a solomon) but I really doubt it will come up.

It is similair to the question in C3 with the derivative of x=e^siny.

except you have to put tany = x find dx/dy then using tan^2 +1=sec^2 rearrange to find in terms of x
do we need to know any proofs for C4? And as for formulas, which do we need to remember by heart?
Reply 93
Original post by Lisande
But those brackets give you 1-x-2x^2 which is not what is under the root..... that’s where I’m stuck.

Sorry, mis-read on my part. What paper is it from?
Reply 94
Original post by candol
Sorry, mis-read on my part. What paper is it from?

No worries..... it’s from the chapter review on binomial series C4 in my Edexcel textbook3F62E511-4718-436C-8F47-B018FDB4F8E3.jpg.jpeg
Reply 95
Original post by Lisande
No worries..... it’s from the chapter review on binomial series C4 in my Edexcel textbook3F62E511-4718-436C-8F47-B018FDB4F8E3.jpg.jpeg

Answer is
0D3BF90D-F699-4931-A3DA-1772D8AD2FD8.jpg.jpeg
Reply 96
Original post by Lisande
Answer is
0D3BF90D-F699-4931-A3DA-1772D8AD2FD8.jpg.jpeg

Fair shout - substitute if all else fails
Original post by yusyus
ive seen it in a paper somewhere I think(may have been a solomon) but I really doubt it will come up.

It is similair to the question in C3 with the derivative of x=e^siny.

except you have to put tany = x find dx/dy then using tan^2 +1=sec^2 rearrange to find in terms of x

Yeh and they actually give you the formula for this but it is in the FP3 section
What do people think are the hardest papers around? Or does anyone have any really hard questions?
When you do integration by parts how would you know why one to put for u and v' ? I know you can put any but sometimes it can get quite hard and long depending on which on you put for u and v'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending