The Student Room Group

C4 Integration - Area

Need help with this problem:

A graph shows part of the curve C with parametric equations

x = (t+1)^2, y= 1/2 t^3 +3, t>=-1

P is the point on the curve where t=2. The line S is the normal to C at P.

a.) Find an equation of S

The shaded region R is bounded by C, S, the z-axis and the line with equation X=1.

b.) Using integration and showing all your working, find the area of R.

I've done part a. In part b I think I know what to do just not sure how to write out the integral. I don't know if I need to use the two parametric equations (and multiply or add them??) or use some other equation.
Original post by miadiz

The shaded region R is bounded by C, S, the z-axis and the line with equation X=1.

I've done part a. In part b I think I know what to do just not sure how to write out the integral. I don't know if I need to use the two parametric equations (and multiply or add them??) or use some other equation.

This is in TSR help.

I have asked for it to be moved to Maths
Original post by miadiz

I assume you mean the x-axis and not the z-axis.

You need to use the formula of the area of a curve:
01y dx\int^1_0 y\ dx = 01y (dx/dt)dt\int^1_0 y\ (dx/dt) dt

Parametric integration.

You will have to also work out the area under the normal. I haven't drawn the graph out so I can't visualise it, but it may involve subracting areas etc.

It'd be great if you can post a picture of the question and your working out :smile:!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Chittesh14
I assume you mean the x-axis and not the z-axis.

You need to use the formula of the area of a curve:
01y dx\int^1_0 y\ dx = 01y (dx/dt)dt\int^1_0 y\ (dx/dt) dt

Parametric integration.

You will have to also work out the area under the normal. I haven't drawn the graph out so I can't visualise it, but it may involve subracting areas etc.

It'd be great if you can post a picture of the question and your working out :smile:!

Yeah I don't know why I wasn't thinking of that formula... Thank you though :smile:

IMG_20180406_162447-compressed.jpg.jpeg

IMG_20180406_162437-compressed.jpg.jpeg
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by miadiz
Yeah I don't know why I wasn't thinking of that formula... Thank you though :smile:

No worries :smile:.
Have you done it? If you haven't, I'll help you tomorrow, sorry for the late reply.
Reply 5
Original post by Chittesh14
No worries :smile:.
Have you done it? If you haven't, I'll help you tomorrow, sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, I did it. I got 58.9 as the area. By doing the integration with y and dx/dt ( = 2(t+1) ) and t limits 2 and 0. Then I added the previous value (34.4) to the area of the triangle (24.5).
Original post by miadiz
Yeah, I did it. I got 58.9 as the area. By doing the integration with y and dx/dt ( = 2(t+1) ) and t limits 2 and 0. Then I added the previous value (34.4) to the area of the triangle (24.5).

Nice one :smile:. Post some more questions if you find anything else difficult!
Reply 7
Original post by miadiz
what book is that. Dr frost said edexcel hadn't posted the exercise that question is from yet so how is it in a book XD
Original post by Muiz.K
what book is that. Dr frost said edexcel hadn't posted the exercise that question is from yet so how is it in a book XD

This is a 5 year old thread - C4 was part of the modular A level which was replaced in England by a linear course.

Latest