The Student Room Group

Help maths

I don’t get how to do this…
Why did they calc area and how do I know t1 is 8??IMG_2773.jpegIMG_2774.jpeg
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
The integral or the area between a velocity-time graph corresponds to displacement (gcse physics), as velocity is the rate of change of displacement. So t1 corresponds to the first time that the area above (positive displacement) and the area below (negative displacement) the x-axis are equal and so it corresponds to a zero displacement at that time.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
The integral or the area between a velocity-time graph corresponds to displacement (gcse physics), as velocity is the rate of change of displacement. So t1 corresponds to the first time that the area above (positive displacement) and the area below (negative displacement) the x-axis are equal and so it corresponds to a zero displacement at that time.

Wouldn’t it just be 5 and 12 as those are the point it crosses the x axis….
I don’t get this 😭 Wdym by
‘So t1 corresponds to the first time that the area above (positive displacement) and the area below (negative displacement) the x-axis are equal’
Reply 3
The velocity is zero at 5 and 12, not displacement.

Velocity-time graphs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z3whb82/revision/4#:~:text=For%20a%20moving%20object%2C%20the,that%20the%20object%20is%20accelerating.
Initially the velocity is negative so the resulting displacement is negative. For t>5 the velocity changes sign to being positive so particle will be heading back towards the initial position. This occurs when t=8 and the positive displacement (t>5) "equals" the negative displacement(t<5) or equivalently the two corresponding areas on the velocity time graph are equal
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
The velocity is zero at 5 and 12, not displacement.

Velocity-time graphs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z3whb82/revision/4#:~:text=For%20a%20moving%20object%2C%20the,that%20the%20object%20is%20accelerating.
Initially the velocity is negative so the resulting displacement is negative. For t>5 the velocity changes sign to being positive so particle will be heading back towards the initial position. This occurs when t=8 and the positive displacement (t>5) "equals" the negative displacement(t<5) or equivalently the two corresponding areas on the velocity time graph are equal

This is so hard 😭
Is it common on the aqa spec a level maths….
My teacher never taught us this, and I can’t remember doing this at gcse
I think I kinda get it now, but is it common as a q
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Velocity time graphs are covered at gcse at do come up at a level from time to time. As above, displacement is the integral of velocity and thats pretty much all you need to know as below the x-axis its negative etc. Shouldnt be that hard.

Quick Reply

Latest