The Student Room Group

Terrified of gcse spanish speaking exam, help!!

How can I deal with this? I have it next week and I’m absolutely dreading it to say the least. I nearly had a panic attack in the prep room in the mock, never mind the actual gcse that will stay with me for the rest of my life! How can I prevent me having a panic attack? This will stop me from doing well as I just do the bare minimum so I can escape the room ASAP, and again, this was only a mock!! I’m so scared and constantly on the edge of my seat just thinking about it. Has anyone else gone through this? How can I miraculously change??
Reply 1
Well, I have mine tomorrow and I literally want to cry but my advice is to meditate and imagine yourself doing amazing in the actual exam and you will be fin although I have prepared you've just got to remember that you can never prepare enough and everybody is probably in the same boat. (The thing that is really getting me through is the fact that it is only 25% of the gcse so I am not that worried because if I do terrible in this, I will just work really hard to get higher marks in the other parts of the gcse)
Original post by Anonymous
How can I deal with this? I have it next week and I’m absolutely dreading it to say the least. I nearly had a panic attack in the prep room in the mock, never mind the actual gcse that will stay with me for the rest of my life! How can I prevent me having a panic attack? This will stop me from doing well as I just do the bare minimum so I can escape the room ASAP, and again, this was only a mock!! I’m so scared and constantly on the edge of my seat just thinking about it. Has anyone else gone through this? How can I miraculously change??

My advice is that you look at the big picture, this speaking exam will not be the end of your life if you fail, say you did fail why would it matter you still have many other GCSEs to get. I don't even do a language because I was too **** at them so I'm only taking 7 GCSEs. For this speaking exam the only thing you can do is your best and during when you go to actually do the exam just think that tonight I'm still going to be in my bed and I'm still the same person you don't need to stress yourself out about this. Good luck!!!!
Reply 3
Original post by RobinUrBong
My advice is that you look at the big picture, this speaking exam will not be the end of your life if you fail, say you did fail why would it matter you still have many other GCSEs to get. I don't even do a language because I was too **** at them so I'm only taking 7 GCSEs. For this speaking exam the only thing you can do is your best and during when you go to actually do the exam just think that tonight I'm still going to be in my bed and I'm still the same person you don't need to stress yourself out about this. Good luck!!!!

I don’t mean to sound Big headed but I’m actually quite good at spanish it’s not that aspect. It’s about the fact I feel like I’m being judged and the prep room in the mock made me nearly have a panic attack but then somebody knocked on the door and then I got out of my trail of thought and then was still scared but it was alright. However this time the fact it’s the real thing will be playing through my mind, but again it’s not the thought that I’m gonna fail because I don’t think I will, it’s the aspect of being judged and recorded and I hate that. I’m scared I’m gonna have a panic attack as I really don’t want the invigilator in the prep room to judge me nor my spanish teacher. I just don’t know what to do, as it’s a week away and every minute of every day I feel sick and constantly on edge, I’m petrified, but I don’t know what of. I’ve told my self my teacher isn’t going to judge me and that so many people are gonna be feeling the same but nothing will change the fact I can’t even go a minute without thinking about it.
Don't be scared, it's your teacher and no invigilators, i had mine on monday and I was like you the week before. But when I got in, it went fine. I did AQA btw, the role play and photocard I got was soo easy and good. I was so happy tbh! I am also doing higher.
Reply 5
All I have to say is that the invigilator won’t be paying attention to your work and is there just to make sure you stick to the exam board rules (no cheating, no dictionaries etc), and you know your teacher, they want the best for you
Practice doing a mock at home either by yuorself or with parents to prepare yourself as best you can for the real thing. It will be over before you know it :-)
Reply 7
Practice doing a mock at home either by yuorself or with parents to prepare yourself as best you can for the real thing. It will be over before you know it :-)

That is such a good idea!! Thankyou
I don’t mean to sound Big headed but I’m actually quite good at spanish it’s not that aspect. It’s about the fact I feel like I’m being judged and the prep room in the mock made me nearly have a panic attack but then somebody knocked on the door and then I got out of my trail of thought and then was still scared but it was alright. However this time the fact it’s the real thing will be playing through my mind, but again it’s not the thought that I’m gonna fail because I don’t think I will, it’s the aspect of being judged and recorded and I hate that. I’m scared I’m gonna have a panic attack as I really don’t want the invigilator in the prep room to judge me nor my spanish teacher. I just don’t know what to do, as it’s a week away and every minute of every day I feel sick and constantly on edge, I’m petrified, but I don’t know what of. I’ve told my self my teacher isn’t going to judge me and that so many people are gonna be feeling the same but nothing will change the fact I can’t even go a minute without thinking about it.

I have the same problem. I'm quite good at Spanish and I am estimated at a high 8-9 but I get so stressed during speaking exams. I always find them the most nerve wracking out of the 4. How did it go and how did you cope? Any tips?
Reply 9
Original post by holly1004
I have the same problem. I'm quite good at Spanish and I am estimated at a high 8-9 but I get so stressed during speaking exams. I always find them the most nerve wracking out of the 4. How did it go and how did you cope? Any tips?

It’s on Thursday morning, absolutely dreading it!!! When’s yours?? Good luck!!

Sorry I thought I’d add that the reason I put next week is so that I would get the answers sooner so that I could prepare myself. Fair to say it’s gone down hill since .

Mines on Wednesday morning. I'm so terrified. I'm so scared I'm going to break down during it or if I don't understand the question and can't answer. Good luck to you too, I will let you know how it goes when I've done it xx
Mines on Wednesday morning. I'm so terrified. I'm so scared I'm going to break down during it or if I don't understand the question and can't answer. Good luck to you too, I will let you know how it goes when I've done it xx

Literally same!! What is your nominated topic??
Literally same!! What is your nominated topic??

I picked theme 2 for general convo. I’m not as good at at the environment part tho :/

How did your speaking go?? I did mine yesterday and I nearly cried before my exam but my role play and photo card were pretty easy. My teacher said she thinks my speaking will be one of the highest grades so I’m guessing she means an 8/9 (fingers crossed). I’m sure yours went really well too!!
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous #1

This is what I'm saying, I'm great at Spanish, predicted strong 8+9 since year 9, my reading, listening, writing and even speaking are good.
I love to engage in casual Spanish with my teacher, but as soon as I go in to that tiny quiet room it sets me off.
I ask her not to look at me, but she does it anyway, and she stares at my with the most pitiful 'youre a kicked puppy" face, and it throws me off to no end.
How do I solve this?
Reply 16
Original post by ReadilySalted
Don't be scared, it's your teacher and no invigilators, i had mine on monday and I was like you the week before. But when I got in, it went fine. I did AQA btw, the role play and photocard I got was soo easy and good. I was so happy tbh! I am also doing higher.

I wish it was invigilators to be honest. My teacher is TOO nice? She stares at me like a kicked puppy and it makes me feel like I should be crying. At least with an invigilator THEY don't know who I am and they can't expect anything from me
hi! i did my gcse spanish exam this summer and got a 9, with 55/60 in the speaking portion. i was also terrified of speaking all the way through the course but being prepared really helps. my teacher gave us a list of questions that may be asked in the exam separated into topic 1, 2 and 3 so from this i made flashcards on quizlet with my answers to each question and memorised them all. this is time consuming but so worth it! i'd recommend asking your teacher if they have something similar. i also practised photo cards for every topic as much as i could which also helped with spontaneity and knowing how to respond to questions. have a look on your exam board's website to find some past papers to do this!
i completely understand that going into the exam can be very scary, especially when it's just you and the teacher. try not to think about the exam while you're waiting outside and take some deep breaths instead. think of it as just a conversation between you and your teacher!
good luck, i'm sure you'll be amazing!! :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest