The Student Room Group

Integration

How do I integrate 3^(2x)? Or any constant to the power of x?
Reply 1
Original post by Reisei

Do you know the derivative of a^x?
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
Do you know the derivative of a^x?

Yes, a^xlna
Reply 3
Original post by Reisei
Yes, a^xlna

Okay so that tells you that the integral of axlnaa^x \ln a is ax+ca^x + c. Can you use this to find the integral of axa^x?

It's also worth memorising this integral because it comes up in exams. But I recommend trying to derive it first, plus this will be useful if you forget it in an exam!
Original post by Reisei

Before anyone starts suggesting substitution, just write 32x=9x3^{2x} = 9^x

Now I leave you in the good hands of Notnek.
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
Before anyone starts suggesting substitution, just write 32x=9x3^{2x} = 9^x

Now I leave you in the good hands of Notnek.

I think it's fine to use reverse chain rule here if the student is confident with it - it should be easy if the student understands what they're doing :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Notnek
Okay so that tells you that the integral of axlnaa^x \ln a is ax+ca^x + c. Can you use this to find the integral of axa^x?

It's also worth memorising this integral because it comes up in exams. But I recommend trying to derive it first, plus this will be useful if you forget it in an exam!

I'd assume it's a^x /lna + c, since if you differentiate it the lna and 1/lna would cancel, right?
Reply 7
Original post by Reisei
I'd assume it's a^x /lna + c, since if you differentiate it the lna and 1/lna would cancel, right?

Yes that's right. You should have that on your list of standard integrals that you should learn off by heart. The intgeral of a^x often catches students out in exams.
Reply 8
Original post by Notnek
I think it's fine to use reverse chain rule here if the student is confident with it - it should be easy if the student understands what they're doing :smile:

So it would be 3^(2x) /2ln3?
Reply 9
Original post by Notnek
Yes that's right. You should have that on your list of standard integrals that you should learn off by heart. The intgeral of a^x often catches students out in exams.

I've only just seen it today in a past exam question, my teachers briefly skimmed over C4 differentiation/integration so I've probably missed a lot of things I ought to know! Glad I found it before the exam.
Reply 10
Original post by Reisei
So it would be 3^(2x) /2ln3?

Correct.
Reply 11
Original post by Reisei
I've only just seen it today in a past exam question, my teachers briefly skimmed over C4 differentiation/integration so I've probably missed a lot of things I ought to know! Glad I found it before the exam.

Make sure you know how to integrate sin2x\sin^2 x and cos2x\cos^2 x because they come up all the time. Also something similar to sin2xcosx\int \sin^2 x \cos x seems to come up frequently.
Reply 12
Original post by Notnek
Make sure you know how to integrate sin2x\sin^2 x and cos2x\cos^2 x because they come up all the time. Also something similar to sin2xcosx\int \sin^2 x \cos x seems to come up frequently.

Yeah, I just change them using the cos double angle formula, and I'm familiar with the inspection type questions, it'd just be 1/3sin^3 x + c. Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Reisei
Yeah, I just change them using the cos double angle formula, and I'm familiar with the inspection type questions, it'd just be 1/3sin^3 x + c. Thank you very much :smile:

You sound confident to me. Just keep doing the past papers including the IAL papers (if Edexcel) for an added challenge :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest