The Student Room Group

Law of Restitution: Collisions and inequality of e.

Here's the question.

The part which I want is specific to part 6(b)
Capture1.JPG

I have showed that e>14 e > \displaystyle\frac{1}{4} , however I can't seem to think of why it would be e<916 e < \displaystyle\frac{9}{16} too.

Here's the mark scheme, and weirdly, it doesn't talk about the second tail of the inequality.
Question 6(b) of the mark scheme is what you want.

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M2/Topic-Qs/Edexcel-Set-1/M2%20Collisions%20-%20Successive%20impacts.pdf
Original post by RickHendricks

The markscheme you've referenced is an Edexcel Internal Review document, and as such has errors - and seems to have been propagated across a few sites.

The original question was used in the June 2006 M2 exam, and here's the markscheme from that:

As you can see the the (9/16)e restriction comes from the inequality that is given in both!

Untitled.jpg
If you solve w' >v equation:
(4+4e)÷25>(4e-1)÷5
It should work out to be e<9/16
w'>v as there is a second collision. B has to be travelling faster than A so it will catch up and collide.
Original post by RickHendricks
Here's the question.

The part which I want is specific to part 6(b)
Capture1.JPG

I have showed that e>14 e > \displaystyle\frac{1}{4} , however I can't seem to think of why it would be e<916 e < \displaystyle\frac{9}{16} too.

Here's the mark scheme, and weirdly, it doesn't talk about the second tail of the inequality.
Question 6(b) of the mark scheme is what you want.

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M2/Topic-Qs/Edexcel-Set-1/M2%20Collisions%20-%20Successive%20impacts.pdf

Original post by ghostwalker
The markscheme you've referenced is an Edexcel Internal Review document, and as such has errors - and seems to have been propagated across a few sites.

The original question was used in the June 2006 M2 exam, and here's the markscheme from that:

As you can see the the (9/16)e restriction comes from the inequality that is given in both!

Untitled.jpg

Not to mention that the first version only has 3 marks for a 5 mark part.

Quick Reply

Latest