The Student Room Group

bio sciences foundation course - Manchester

Hiya,

I'm a year 13 student looking at doing a foundation year in science at Manchester university (I'm doing Spanish, psychology and music atm - which obviously isn't appropriate to go straight onto a science based degree)

In doing my A-levels I've realised that I would like to go into a more scientific field, I've always enjoyed it and did well at GCSE.

Has anybody been in the situation of looking to get on a foundation year in science or who has been through it, if so, what was your experience like and what made you want to do it?

Just trying to find people in a similar position, Thanks :smile:
Hi there!

Do you mean the University of Manchester? If so, I did a life sciences foundation year there.

I needed AAB but I got ABC in my A-levels. They called me up and offered me the foundation year instead. I immediately said yes because it was my dream university. I just graduated this year and I had the most amazing time!

I found the foundation year a little repetitive at times, because it's essentially a repeat of A-levels, but if you haven't done Biology or Chemistry you should really enjoy it as it'll all be new. It will be quite intense though. The year got split into 2 groups, those that had done Bio/Chem and those that hadn't. I remember most people in the other group were more stressed than us (as you're sort of squeezing two years worth of content into one) but we all got through it! The pass rate is pretty good.

You make friends easily as it's a small course, and you've got an extra year to spend in a great uni! Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi there, I'm starting the foundation year this year, i havent done any A level sciences. I was wondering if you had any tips or advice. Also what is the timetable like?

Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending