The Student Room Group

Dentistry without chemistry a level?

Hello,

I have my eyes set on becoming a dentist. I am currently in year 12 and my a levels are biology, physics and art. I chose all three last year because I am good at them and they can be used for many different degrees. However, now that i have decided on dental school sadly my options are very limited because I dont do chemistry a level. The only unis i know that dont require chem are KCL and Queen mary. Is anyone aware of any other unis, and what are my chances of getting into dental school without chem?

Reply 1
Most universities require students to have studied both chemistry and biology at A level to even consider allowing them onto a dental course. Both chemistry and biology are needed because they provide students with the necessary scientific knowledge and skills that they'll need to become a future dentist. So you might need it. Unless you can find a school that doesn't
Reply 2
Im pretty sure chemistry is not required for every single dentistry course. The fact that you do 2 science's is enough. Cardiff uni and kings college both dont requre chemistry, but I recommend just doing a foundation year in some places like Bristol uni. Be brave!
Original post by taztas
Im pretty sure chemistry is not required for every single dentistry course. The fact that you do 2 science's is enough. Cardiff uni and kings college both dont requre chemistry, but I recommend just doing a foundation year in some places like Bristol uni. Be brave!

Hi I applied to dent and am going to Cardiff, for Cardiff you need bio and chem. Majority will need both but like you said you have Queen Marys and KCL. Here is a handbook from 2023 that summaries all the entry criteria of all dental school. https://www.dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/DSC-Entry-Requirements-2023-1.pdf

Although always make sure you look on the universities own websites as they will have an up to date version of the entry requirements! But yes like this comment said look into foundation programmes some may not require you to have bio and chem. I think there is one like that at Manchester so make sure to have look :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest