The Student Room Group

Woodwind Society!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, can I join??

I've just sorted out my pieces for my A Level recital and grade 8 ish.. I'm a clarinetist. Playing Levefre (sp?) Sonata n.5 1st mvt, Schumann Fantasiestuecke (all 3), Poulenc 1st mvt and Paul Harris Victorian Kitchen Garden prelude.

For my grade 8 I intend on Schumann and Poulenc again, plus the Berkeley most likely...

Clarinet scales are fun :smile: Just whip up and down.. Obviously learning them isn't so great!
Reply 181
Rosemary7391
Hey, can I join??

I've just sorted out my pieces for my A Level recital and grade 8 ish.. I'm a clarinetist. Playing Levefre (sp?) Sonata n.5 1st mvt, Schumann Fantasiestuecke (all 3), Poulenc 1st mvt and Paul Harris Victorian Kitchen Garden prelude.

For my grade 8 I intend on Schumann and Poulenc again, plus the Berkeley most likely...

Clarinet scales are fun :smile: Just whip up and down.. Obviously learning them isn't so great!

Schumann Fantastiestucke :coma:
tinkerbellejess
Piccolos only really sound nice when they're playing in a big ensemble like an orchestra. I got one after begging my parents for years for one for christmas, I hardly ever play it now as I don't think I can get away with subjecting my neighbours to it!

But if you're going to be playing it, as much as it hurts, you need to practice, more on the tone side than anything else ( I assume you're pretty proficient on flute to get asked to play it so you should have some technique) and practice different octaves etc as you need a fairly "tough" embouchure for it. There's plenty of study books for picc out that you can look for.

Most importantly, practice with a tuner, it will make things much easier when it comes to playing it! They're notorious for being out of tune!

Many thanks!
Ick, I just had a terrible time playing the piccolo at orchestra the other day ... no notes were coming out at all! Yet the day before everything was fine :s-smilie:

Anyway ... I still love my piccolo :yep:
ukebert
Schumann Fantastiestucke :coma:

I like them! What don't you like about them?
I'm doing my grade 5 clarinet just for the sake of another instrument in December.
So far, pieces are fine.

Scales... not so much. >.<
Reply 185
Rosemary7391
I like them! What don't you like about them?

A common misconception is that :coma: is a negative smiley, it isn't :p: I love them, having played one for my Grade 8.
ukebert
A common misconception is that :coma: is a negative smiley, it isn't :p: I love them, having played one for my Grade 8.

*blush* Okay, I'm useless with smileys then! Personally I prefer the Poulenc, but the Schumann is very good as well :smile: 20 minutes is quite a long time though - I'm worried that by the time I get to the Paul Harris I'll have lost all control of my tone... Lots of practice required!
Poulenc :love:

The sextets are amazinggggg.
And the trio for oboe bassoon and piano.
The Clarinet duet is looovely - shame neither I nor anyone I know within, say, 50 miles has an A and is willing to play it with me!
:frown:
Awww. Get yourself an A and find one of the numerous Bbs to play with!

Haha.
Yup, I'd love to have the 2 grand spare to get an A to go with my Bb!! Or even the £500 or so to get the cheapest one that might stand a chance of lasting long enough to play it lol! They are not cheap :frown: :frown:

Saying that, I doubt anyone I know would want to play it anyhow... The one person who would moved to Canada, slight issue! I don't get what people seem to have against Poulenc :frown:
:frown:
Instruments are too expensive. It ruins everything.
I know... I'm just very very glad I am not an oboist! They seem to be three times as expensive as clarinets.... And you can pay crazy amounts of money for string instruments as well, although this is a woodwind thread.
A good instrument makes such a difference though - I'm not sure I'd be able to play the kind of repertoire I play now on a basic instrument. Certainly not well enough for me...
Reply 193
Rosemary7391
*blush* Okay, I'm useless with smileys then! Personally I prefer the Poulenc, but the Schumann is very good as well :smile: 20 minutes is quite a long time though - I'm worried that by the time I get to the Paul Harris I'll have lost all control of my tone... Lots of practice required!

I don't think I've heard the poulenc :frown:

And yeah, stamina is part of what cost me a distinction sadly. Lots of practice would indeed be a good idea :p:
Lol, I'm really really bad at practising. Correspondingly, I'm pretty good at sightreading!

Poulenc: Sonata 1st mvt, the one I'm (trying!) to play - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kXecQ7lc0O4

He missed out a trill/tremolo in the first bit though, before the main tune!

And heres the one for 2 clarinets: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sts4gCNQxTw
Reply 195
Rosemary7391
Lol, I'm really really bad at practising. Correspondingly, I'm pretty good at sightreading!

Poulenc: Sonata 1st mvt, the one I'm (trying!) to play - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kXecQ7lc0O4

He missed out a trill/tremolo in the first bit though, before the main tune!

And heres the one for 2 clarinets: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sts4gCNQxTw

Oh that Poulenc :p: Another of the pieces that Iknow without knowing who wrote them :rolleyes:
Rosemary7391
I know... I'm just very very glad I am not an oboist! They seem to be three times as expensive as clarinets.... And you can pay crazy amounts of money for string instruments as well, although this is a woodwind thread.
A good instrument makes such a difference though - I'm not sure I'd be able to play the kind of repertoire I play now on a basic instrument. Certainly not well enough for me...

*plays oboe and bassoon. :frown:
Sometimes I think I'll never own my own instruments.
But I don't care about oboe so much, so I'll only get one if I'm rich some day.

I'm getting a saxophone soon though. Eeeeeee! :biggrin:
Lol! I always refer to them by the composer name, so for someone like Weber I very easily get confused:

Me: 'I played the Weber'
Someone: 'Cool, which one?'
Me: 'Um, the one that starts with the really high F?'
Someone: 'um...' Doesn't always help!
Doublereedfreak
*plays oboe and bassoon. :frown:
Sometimes I think I'll never own my own instruments.
But I don't care about oboe so much, so I'll only get one if I'm rich some day.

I'm getting a saxophone soon though. Eeeeeee! :biggrin:

Saxophones are cool :smile: I actually have one, but I don't have the time to play it. My Dad bought it for me, I think he wanted my to play duets with him or something (He plays as well, occasionally!) But I prefer clarinet!
Reply 199
I still play my old plastic B12 Bb, but I have a wooden C. It blew me away the first time I played it :p:

Quick Reply

Latest