The Student Room Group

Hello, my name is CLaDOS!

I'm studying... BTEC National Extended Diploma in Creative Digital Media Production (Video Games)

I'm interested in... Video Games Programming

My study level is... BTEC Nationals
Welcome to TSR @CLaDOS,

I see that you have an interest in video games programming. Are you working on any projects at the moment? What languages and tools are you using?

With Regards,
Michael

PS. Do you have any cake?
Reply 2
Original post by Falmouth Uni Games Academy (Computing)
Welcome to TSR @CLaDOS,

I see that you have an interest in video games programming. Are you working on any projects at the moment? What languages and tools are you using?

With Regards,
Michael

PS. Do you have any cake?

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not currently working on any projects right now. However, I should be starting on soon as part of a project. In my first year, two of the units, I had made a horror game demo and a terrain generator. I did those using Unity and coding in C#. I will be putting those on to my e-portfolio soon.

Thanks, Conor
Original post by CLaDOS
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not currently working on any projects right now. However, I should be starting on soon as part of a project. In my first year, two of the units, I had made a horror game demo and a terrain generator. I did those using Unity and coding in C#. I will be putting those on to my e-portfolio soon.

Sounds great!

I had a few students examine and implement perlin noise and the diamond-square algorithm not long ago for heightmaps, looking at Miller's criticisms as part of an SDL/C++ exercise. What approach did you take?

With Regards,
Michael
Reply 4
Sounds great!

I had a few students examine and implement perlin noise and the diamond-square algorithm not long ago for heightmaps, looking at Miller's criticisms as part of an SDL/C++ exercise. What approach did you take?

With Regards,
Michael

I used a tutorial to follow, educating myself on various programming features. And was fascinated on procedural generation within games. I adapted the code from it to advance it more but the code I used, had used a Perlin Noise to make the base of the map. To make the colour map, it takes colour to take it from black and white noise to a colour map. Finally, the code changes that colour map into Mesh Rendering of it to give it height. Extending this, I made a menu where you can change aspects of the mesh rendering, like changing the numbers of vertices, octaves and more. Also, i included a drop down to change it from, Noise to Colour and Mesh maps. I also included a seed generator which you can change to make a new scene each.

Thanks,
Conor
Original post by CLaDOS
I used a tutorial to follow, educating myself on various programming features. And was fascinated on procedural generation within games. I adapted the code from it to advance it more but the code I used, had used a Perlin Noise to make the base of the map. To make the colour map, it takes colour to take it from black and white noise to a colour map. Finally, the code changes that colour map into Mesh Rendering of it to give it height. Extending this, I made a menu where you can change aspects of the mesh rendering, like changing the numbers of vertices, octaves and more. Also, i included a drop down to change it from, Noise to Colour and Mesh maps. I also included a seed generator which you can change to make a new scene each.

Sounds great!

If you find procedural content generation facinating, then it might be worth taking a look at what our MetaMakers Institute (one of our research groups at Falmouth) are up to, as you may find it interesting: https://metamakersinstitute.com/

With Regards,
Michael
Reply 6
Sounds great!

If you find procedural content generation facinating, then it might be worth taking a look at what our MetaMakers Institute (one of our research groups at Falmouth) are up to, as you may find it interesting: https://metamakersinstitute.com/

With Regards,
Michael

Thanks Michael,

I will take a look, I am also doing my UCAS application so I will take a further look.

Thanks,
Conor

Quick Reply

Latest