The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What's it for? GCSE, AS, A2? I'm no French genius, but some of those words/phrases are pretty basic. I mean, cercle vicieux? If you swap those two words around, and change a couple of letters you've got the English :smile:

You're not gonna learn anything if people give you all the answers!
gorilla_baby
thank you so much , but i dont get wut u mean by this "try it it won't take long." u mean the translation website? but i tried trnaslating conge without accent nd it said it means conge? www.freetranslation.com is the one i used..

Well, put the accent in then. Or use a decent dictionary like wordreference.com which doesn't require you to put accents in. Stop wasting our time asking us to do things you could do yourself, that's just unfair to people who need our help.

Incidentally, several of the translations in alicey08's post are wrong (and/or meaningless).
Reply 22
at the bottom of where you type on the website there is a drop down list of the letters with the accents on it
Jurisprude
Looking for words in a dictionary might actually help you remember/learn them.

Exceptionally good point, I remember my french teacher used to say we had to use each new word we found 3 times, just to remember it (e.g. look it up, write it down, say it out loud)

By the way, why do you need them in a couple of days for an exam, do you know they will be testing you on certain words?

35 - Spaces (as in espaces verts - green spaces/places)
I would add more help, but you probably won't want it. I haven't done french for two years (and totally bombed it when I did...).

Bourgeois Boehemes - This doesn't really have a translation, google it. Or try Bohemian.
Reply 25
yeah thats the thing with the website as generalebriety said, they aren't always right so you should use a dictionary. look it up in the infinitive and then change it to fit the sentence.
gorilla_baby
i dont have time to look for every single word, my exam is in a few days, i know nothing and i need to spend all my time actually doing the past paper, not looking for words in adictionary

left it to the last minute, eh?
alicey08
yeah thats the thing with the website as generalebriety said, they aren't always right so you should use a dictionary. look it up in the infinitive and then change it to fit the sentence.

Exactly. And if you can't do this, or it takes you two hours to do it, then your French has more serious problems than a lack of vocab. Sorry.
Reply 28
okay, firstly, i asked people to translate assuming they already know some meanings, not for them to look them up for me. If you dont want to help, then dont! END OF STORY!!!!!!
gorilla_baby
okay, firstly, i asked people to translate assuming they already know some meanings, not for them to look them up for me. If you dont want to help, then dont! END OF STORY!!!!!!

Just 'cause we may know the meanings doesn't mean we're going to help you with all of them. Ever heard of a dictionary? Stop wasting our time, and stop being lazy.
gorilla_baby

But they ARE trying to help. They're trying to show you what a mess you're in so you know how to avoid it for next time.

To summarise (please correct me if I'm wrong, everyone):

1. Don't leave it until the last minute
2. Learn vocabulary as you go along
3. Clarify any grammar points as soon as you learn something new (some of them on that list weren't in the infinitive - they were in a different tense so you need to recognise that).

Hope this helps.
gorilla_baby

No, not end of story. You're wasting our time, and consequently wasting the time of people who actually need help. Go and look the damn words up, you could've done them all three times over by now: http://www.wordreference.com/.
Reply 32
wut does "marches hauts en coleur" mean? dont think that hauts is a separate word, as in dictionary it says "high"...is it like a phrase?
Reply 33
and "terasses de cafe"? coz terraces means terrace..so is this also a phrase?
oooh looks like you're not gonna get the hint. There are some very powerful members of this board telling you to stop (like generalebriety).

Continue at your peril (rather you than me).
Reply 35
stop what exactly? i looked in the dictionary and i'm still not sure if it's a word or phrase? so what's wrong in that??
gorilla_baby
stop what exactly? i looked in the dictionary and i'm still not sure if it's a word or phrase? so what's wrong in that??

Why are you so defensive? And anyway, why do you need to know the meanings of 100 specific words for your exams? From what I can remember, I was never told which words would be coming up in my french exam. You might as well just learn the entire dictionary than try to cram in as many words as possible.

And why not just sleep on it, go into school tomorrow and ask your teacher what it means? I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem explaining every single word/phrase you've asked. And if they do, well you can just shout at them can't you?

Latest

Trending

Trending