The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Hillhead Accommodation

I am hoping to get into Aberdeen Uni in 2019. I would most likely be staying at the Hillhead Halls and have a few questions.
Is there uni sex flats/buildings?
What is the worst building and what's recommended to be best?
Any essentials to make the flat/room better?
Any other tips or information would be appreciated, thanks.
I studied in Aberdeen in 2016, dropped out in 2017, and will return to Aberdeen in September this year too :smile:
Aberdeen is a really great uni and they have even just surpassed St Andrews on the Times Higher Education ranking!

I didn't live in Hillhead back then, but a couple of my friends did, and as no one else has replied yet, I thought I'd just tell you what I know.

As far as I know, most buildings are unisex, but when you're applying, you can choose to live on a floor with only people of your gender.

My friends all lived in Fyfe House so I can't comment on the others, but Fyfe House was pretty nice. It's the cheapest I think and the one I'll apply for. The rooms are really spacious and every room has a sink in it. The kitchens are shared (other buildings are catered), and so are the bathrooms. There are several bathrooms per floor. The building also has some common rooms.

I'd definitely bring stuff from home to make the room more comfy :smile: Like pictures of your friends, maybe some small things that you really like, your cushion, etc.
I really like Primark Home however. Primark is about a 40 minute walk from Hillhead (20 minute walk from uni), but you can also take the bus which takes about 15 minutes. There you can buy your own sheets, maybe a nice carpet or blanket, some LED lights, and just general decoration stuff. It's really important that you make your room your own as much as possible, because if you're away from home, you'll want to feel as comfortable as possible :smile:

But if you want to know more detail, you can always look on the University of Aberdeen website - they have plenty of information about the accommodation and the different buildings you can choose from.

Can I ask what you're planning to study? :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by samiontheroad
I studied in Aberdeen in 2016, dropped out in 2017, and will return to Aberdeen in September this year too :smile:
Aberdeen is a really great uni and they have even just surpassed St Andrews on the Times Higher Education ranking!

I didn't live in Hillhead back then, but a couple of my friends did, and as no one else has replied yet, I thought I'd just tell you what I know.

As far as I know, most buildings are unisex, but when you're applying, you can choose to live on a floor with only people of your gender.

My friends all lived in Fyfe House so I can't comment on the others, but Fyfe House was pretty nice. It's the cheapest I think and the one I'll apply for. The rooms are really spacious and every room has a sink in it. The kitchens are shared (other buildings are catered), and so are the bathrooms. There are several bathrooms per floor. The building also has some common rooms.

I'd definitely bring stuff from home to make the room more comfy :smile: Like pictures of your friends, maybe some small things that you really like, your cushion, etc.
I really like Primark Home however. Primark is about a 40 minute walk from Hillhead (20 minute walk from uni), but you can also take the bus which takes about 15 minutes. There you can buy your own sheets, maybe a nice carpet or blanket, some LED lights, and just general decoration stuff. It's really important that you make your room your own as much as possible, because if you're away from home, you'll want to feel as comfortable as possible :smile:

But if you want to know more detail, you can always look on the University of Aberdeen website - they have plenty of information about the accommodation and the different buildings you can choose from.

Can I ask what you're planning to study? :smile:

Thank you so much for this information!
I’ve got a conditional offer for 3 courses for Aberdeen but hoping to do Geogroahy and IR
Original post by SI1403
Thank you so much for this information!
I’ve got a conditional offer for 3 courses for Aberdeen but hoping to do Geogroahy and IR

Sounds super interesting! I applied for Sociology but I think I'll add either English or Geography for a joint honours :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by samiontheroad
Sounds super interesting! I applied for Sociology but I think I'll add either English or Geography for a joint honours :smile:

Ah! Well I may see you if you take Geography!
Original post by SI1403
Ah! Well I may see you if you take Geography!

True, maybe! :smile:
I'll definitely be active in the Freshers 2019 group on Facebook in June/August, so that I won't be going to Aberdeen without knowing anyone at all haha
Original post by SI1403
I am hoping to get into Aberdeen Uni in 2019. I would most likely be staying at the Hillhead Halls and have a few questions.
Is there uni sex flats/buildings?
What is the worst building and what's recommended to be best?
Any essentials to make the flat/room better?
Any other tips or information would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi SL1403,

If you are still looking for answers to these questions I can help you :smile:

The majority of the flats at Hillhead are single gender but on your application form you can pick an option of a mixed sex flat, this option is becoming more popular each year!

We have a wide range of prices from £99 to £145 per week, the style of accommodation reflects the prices. The £99 per week are the Houses that samiontheroad mentioned above - traditional corridor style halls. The highest price are our ensuite flats. In between we have a variety of shared 4/5 person flats. Make sure you have a good look through our website to see exactly what there is and look at the pictures/360degree views https://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation/

With regards to what to bring to make your flat more homely samiontheroad gave great ideas for that, everyone makes their room look different to suit them! Just make sure no walls are damaged with hanging anything up. There are pinboards in all the rooms where you can pin up photos and posters.

Let me know if you are looking for any more info :smile:

Thanks,
Accommodation Team.
Reply 7
Hello!

I am hoping to study Geography this year at Aberdeen also :smile:
Reply 8
Cool! Have you had any offers yet?
Original post by floraa02
Hello!

I am hoping to study Geography this year at Aberdeen also :smile:
Reply 9
Yes I have a conditional which is a B in a subject I'm resitting so I am feeling good about it!
Reply 10
Well done! Hopefully I get my requirements and maybe see you later on this year!
Original post by floraa02
Yes I have a conditional which is a B in a subject I'm resitting so I am feeling good about it!
I hope so :smile: Good luck buddy
Reply 12
I recently put Aberdeen as my firm choice (conditional offer) and tried to put an interest of accommodation in but it says I need a student id. Where about it this as I can’t find it anywhere in emails?
Original post by SI1403
I recently put Aberdeen as my firm choice (conditional offer) and tried to put an interest of accommodation in but it says I need a student id. Where about it this as I can’t find it anywhere in emails?

Hi SI1403,

You can contact Student Recruitment who will be able to provide you with an ID number so you can put in your note of interest. You can contact them through their enquiry room on the website https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/enquire-now/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending