The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

Is it wasting time?.. Marine & Natural History Photography at Falmouth uni

Would this degree be a waste of time? Some people told me that photogrpahy degree isn't gonna work out and I should find more realistic degree.
I really like wildlife photogrpahy but now i am afraid that it will be hard to find job after. I have search for other courses like photography with graphic design, graphic design don't really intrest me but atleast i would have other options. There was other one with photography and film production which I like more than graphic but would i still be able to get to wildlife photography after? Is marine and natural history photography degree really a waste of time?
Reply 1
Think I've replied to another one of your posts already but whilst some people may see as pursuing an art subject as a "waste of time." Photography and digital media is one of the largest growing job sectors and althought the course is based around natural history and marine life, you could very easily take this in any direction you feel, I have friends from a fashion background as well as zoological backgrounds who find photography a way of documenting there discoveries.

I also had people tell me dont bother with photography or art subjects but, if you enjoy it and its your passion, you'll get to where you want to be.

Best decision I have ever made coming to Falmouth.

(Original post by ronnie166)Would this degree be a waste of time? Some people told me that photogrpahy degree isn't gonna work out and I should find more realistic degree.
I really like wildlife photogrpahy but now i am afraid that it will be hard to find job after. I have search for other courses like photography with graphic design, graphic design don't really intrest me but atleast i would have other options. There was other one with photography and film production which I like more than graphic but would i still be able to get to wildlife photography after? Is marine and natural history photography degree really a waste of time?
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Reply 2
Yes, it will be a waste of time
Original post by vkLRYhFu
Yes, it will be a waste of time

I'm interested why you think that. Why do you feel the course is a waste of time?
I do not think it will be a waste of time.

I think education is valuable beyond that of making money. The world without photos, art, music and dance does not sound like much of a world for me. But then I also believe education should be available to everyone and they should be able to study what they want and what inspires them.

University is hard work and it has been proven that those who study due to interest and motivation do better than success focused students. I don't know the name of the study but Ulaw told me this so I trust the source.

University also has transferable skills like time keeping, critical thinking, writing e.c.t

When you finish you could set up your own business or provide wildlife photography for websites or charities like the National cost watch! You might end up in marketing or advertising. Never underestimate media. It is all about digital media these days and selling online.

You can also end up doing a conversion masters. My cousin did a degree in fashion and a conversion to social work and now works as a social worker!

I say follow your heart but that is just me!

Latest