The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

Fashion Markering at Falmouth Uni

Hi :smile: i’m applying for fashion marketing this year and falmouth is my top choice
If there’s anyone on here studying FM at falmouth it would be really helpful so hear some insight about the course/campus and how you’re finding it, thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Keiracm12
Hi :smile: i’m applying for fashion marketing this year and falmouth is my top choice
If there’s anyone on here studying FM at falmouth it would be really helpful so hear some insight about the course/campus and how you’re finding it, thank you!

I do fm at fal
Message me any questions you have x
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Original post by mw25

I do fm at fal

hey, the comment is mine haha but i accidentally logged out of my account? and i can’t message you on here apparently- so just gonna ask here :smile: Firstly, i’ve been asked to give a portfolio- wanted to ask if you have any advice on what they’re looking for, and as for interviews what was it like? and generally speaking how is the course at falmouth? x
Original post by mw25

I do fm at fal

it’s my top choice right now so i’m trying to find everything out but it’s so small that it’s impossible to get any info x
Reply 4
Original post by keiramorg777
I do fm at fal

it’s my top choice right now so i’m trying to find everything out but it’s so small that it’s impossible to get any info x
For my portfolio I submitted some art I had done at gcse and alevel along with a brand profile I had made on canva looking into their marketing mix, competitors etc.
I had my interview as a quick chat on the phone as I applied last minute due to changing my mind about which uni to go to, for me it was just a casual chat with our course leader where we spoke a little about my portfolio and then me and why I wanted to study there, she also let me ask any questions I had about the course too.

I’m finding the course good, it is very full on as we are normally in 4/5 days a week when other people I know are only in 2 days, you do also have a lot of work to do individually but it is definitely manageable.
The class sizes for fashion marketing are very small there’s less than 18 of us in my year so you get to know everyone pretty well.
We’ve just finished our first three modules which were belonging where we worked with students from other fashion courses to create a physical art piece, marketing essentials where we were looking at the business side of everything (if you’ve done business gcse or alevel it’s the same as that) we did have a test at the end of this but it did not count towards our module grade, and marketing communications where we looked into a specific brand of our choosing to create a report on them.

We’ve also done some workshops which allowed us to get inducted on the machinery in the fti block where we made things like our own tote bags and key rings 🙂

The staff are really understanding and supportive of any challenges you have too 🙂

I would also recommend getting a macbook if you don’t have one already and making sure it’s able to run adobe applications like photoshop and indesign as we use these a lot x
Original post by mw25
I do fm at fal

For my portfolio I submitted some art I had done at gcse and alevel along with a brand profile I had made on canva looking into their marketing mix, competitors etc.
I had my interview as a quick chat on the phone as I applied last minute due to changing my mind about which uni to go to, for me it was just a casual chat with our course leader where we spoke a little about my portfolio and then me and why I wanted to study there, she also let me ask any questions I had about the course too.

I’m finding the course good, it is very full on as we are normally in 4/5 days a week when other people I know are only in 2 days, you do also have a lot of work to do individually but it is definitely manageable.
The class sizes for fashion marketing are very small there’s less than 18 of us in my year so you get to know everyone pretty well.
We’ve just finished our first three modules which were belonging where we worked with students from other fashion courses to create a physical art piece, marketing essentials where we were looking at the business side of everything (if you’ve done business gcse or alevel it’s the same as that) we did have a test at the end of this but it did not count towards our module grade, and marketing communications where we looked into a specific brand of our choosing to create a report on them.

We’ve also done some workshops which allowed us to get inducted on the machinery in the fti block where we made things like our own tote bags and key rings 🙂

The staff are really understanding and supportive of any challenges you have too 🙂

I would also recommend getting a macbook if you don’t have one already and making sure it’s able to run adobe applications like photoshop and indesign as we use these a lot x

Thank you so much for the reply, really helpful!

Would you say that the course allows you a lot of creative freedom in a way? and would you say that they support you in learning the basics like photoshop and so forth?- i’m a little bit scared about that haha i’m not the most techy person x

aside from that, how would you say things like making friends are? and how’s the nightlife?

do you have any advice when it comes to accommodation? and do you know anything about car permits? x
Reply 6

Thank you so much for the reply, really helpful!

Would you say that the course allows you a lot of creative freedom in a way? and would you say that they support you in learning the basics like photoshop and so forth?- i’m a little bit scared about that haha i’m not the most techy person x

aside from that, how would you say things like making friends are? and how’s the nightlife?

do you have any advice when it comes to accommodation? and do you know anything about car permits? x
We have sessions on learning how to use photoshop and things, I still cannot use it myself but as this new term starts we are having more in-depth sessions about how to do specific things we need to use for our current modules.
Indesign which we use the most is really easy once you get the hang of it and if the modules stay the same for you next year then we did not need to use a lot of photoshop at all during the first term so don’t worry too much 🙂

Most people here are really friendly and nice and no matter what accommodation you’re in there’s lots of opportunities to be social especially during the first few weeks,

I’m not super big on clubbing personally but I would not say that the clubs are anything special compared to other towns and cities as Falmouth is a much smaller town, there’s some really lovely pubs and live music, drinks can be a little expensive here though

Accommodation at Falmouth can be a little stressful as currently 1/3 of the rooms offered to first years are a shared bedroom which means quite a few people get given that even if it’s their last choice. If you have any medical or mental health conditions you can apply for an ILP and it will make sure you will get the accommodation type you need as people with ILPs are assessed for accommodation first as a priority,
If you live on campus for your first year it’s obviously good in the sense that you can go home for lunch etc. but if you want to go on nights out you have to make sure you have a plan how to get home which can often be sharing a taxi which can get expensive,
however if you live in town like I do you will have to travel into uni as our course is on penryn campus, I personally prefer this but everyone’s different 🙂

Car permits are primarily for people who have ILPs (individual learning plans) who need to drive rather than use public transport for personal or medical reasons, they cost a fair bit but you’ll save money in the long run as travel is expensive, you also get a discount if you have a low emission eco friendly car i think??

Creative freedom wise you do get a fair bit for some modules but others are a little more restrictive,

I would be absolutely happy to talk to you more in depth about any questions if you’re happy to give me your instagram or snapchat 🙂 x

Quick Reply

Latest