The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Would you recommend University of Aberdeen

I have got a condition offer from University of Aberdeen for my Masters in Industrial Biotechnology. Being an International student from India , I would like to now about the university in general.
student life accommodation (whether it is cheaper with the uni or outside the uni) weather etc....
Reply 1
I think it's a great university, has given me all the personal support I needed from academic help to work experience opportunities. However, I am not so fond of the city itself as I find it very grey and it does embody the typical Scottish whether i.e. a little rainy and windy but sometimes sunny - basically you can have all 4 seasons in a day. There is plenty of accommodation available costing ranging from about 200-600 pounds a month (depending on where you stay and if you chose to share). All in all, I find most people very friendly and would recommend the university itself.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
I would not recommend it at all. I failed a lot of exams due to medical reasons and having an abusive relationship and had to resit a year. I tried to talk to my guidance tutor about it and he just made a face like he didn't believe me. No one else seemed to care though it must have been obvious something was up when I went to hardly any classes. I didn't get any help with work opportunities either besides a CV checking thing that was useless.

Now doing another undergrad degree at the OU and I feel like I'm getting much better feedback and the coursework is better too.
Original post by Anonymous
I would not recommend it at all. I failed a lot of exams due to medical reasons and having an abusive relationship and had to resit a year. I tried to talk to my guidance tutor about it and he just made a face like he didn't believe me. No one else seemed to care though it must have been obvious something was up when I went to hardly any classes. I didn't get any help with work opportunities either besides a CV checking thing that was useless.

Now doing another undergrad degree at the OU and I feel like I'm getting much better feedback and the coursework is better too.

Which course did you do? Also besides that one guidance tutor, what about the lecturers and the other staff?
I studied in Aberdeen for a year and dropped out for personal reasons but I’m now going back this fall. I actually really enjoyed the Uni itself - the lecturers were passionate about what they were teaching, the overall structure was good and I love that there are tons of societies and sports to choose from :smile:
I don’t know if this is relevant to you but look up “studyinaberdeen” on Instagram. They really helped me with questions I had about my course and stuff
Hello Anonymous#1,
I noticed your thread about University of Aberdeen. If you look at the University of Aberdeen Guide on The Student Room it will give you a lot of information to help you find out a bit more about the university. For quick reference I would look at the Student Life section of the website where you will find information about accommodation, campus facilities, the city, student support and clubs and societies.
As you are from India you will also find information about CAS, Visa and Getting Here useful and the Aberdeen International Facebook page to connect with current and former students. There are plenty of events on weekly across the university and within your accommodation. There are loads of opportunities to mix with people from across the world and an opportunity to connect with alumni from your country. Students4Students is another service which might help you to settle in to university life quickly. Do not hesitate to contact the university if you need any information or support and enjoy your studies at Aberdeen!

Original post by samiontheroad
I studied in Aberdeen for a year and dropped out for personal reasons but I’m now going back this fall. I actually really enjoyed the Uni itself - the lecturers were passionate about what they were teaching, the overall structure was good and I love that there are tons of societies and sports to choose from :smile:
I don’t know if this is relevant to you but look up “studyinaberdeen” on Instagram. They really helped me with questions I had about my course and stuff

Original post by Anonymous
I have got a condition offer from University of Aberdeen for my Masters in Industrial Biotechnology. Being an International student from India , I would like to now about the university in general.
student life accommodation (whether it is cheaper with the uni or outside the uni) weather etc....
Hey :smile:
I would personally definitely recommend the Uni of Aberdeen. If you're looking at accommodation, Hillhead Halls are more expensive than renting a private shared flat, however if you're a fresher, I would definitely recommend Hillhead because it can be difficult to make friends in a private flat.
The weather is okay - it can be rainy quite often, but Aberdeen is still the sunniest city in Scotland :smile:

If you have more questions, feel free to add me on Instagram :smile: The account it @studyataberdeen - I answer lots of questions regarding student life in Aberdeen, things like accommodation, orientation, etc. I'm a Sociology undergrad, so I know quite a bit about the uni and the city itself :smile: I do a regular Q&A but if you have pressing questions, feel free to send me a direct message on Instagram.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending