The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

At what age should people stop going clubbing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
brightxburns
Since when are 40 and 50-year-olds considered OAPS?

And seriously, why would ANYONE go to a clubbing night tailored specifically for 'OAPs'? Even if you are an OAP yourself, I can't imagine that anyone with a modicum of dignity would drag their creaking limbs down there.

I say all this, but 40 years from now I will probably be down my local nightclub, demanding that the DJ play Flo Rida 'for me and my girls!'

sorry i meant the oap nights were what they called these nights in the programme....almost too old for conventional night clubs so they go to the old fogey place....

i certainly dont think that people in their 40's, even 50's or 60's are oaps
and i dont see why going out clubbing or to a bar makes you have less or no dignity, its just the way we think that socially only the young can go out, i know my parents for example love going out, but dont cos they feel they stick out for being in their 40's
Depends on the club tbf.
In Birmingham theres clubs like Flares, which is a 70s club, which is enjoyed by people of all ages. As is Reflex and 80s club.
ninety_nine
As a strict age, I'd say if you're over 30 and clubbing you've done something wrong. Unless you're trying to 'pull' a wife...

That's a bit nasty.

I went to Gatecrasher in Leeds a few years ago, and it was far too noisy for me. I just wanted to sit in the corner and read my Telegraph, but the doorman kept insisting that if that's all I wanted to do I could do it in Starbucks. Cheeky ageist mofo.
I think it depends on whether, when you go clubbing, you just:

A - Have a drink and dance your socks off with your friends
B - Have many, many drinks, lurch around the club unsteadily, shake your booty invitingly at any member of your preferred sex, and then proceed to get off with them on the dancefloor and then shag them in the toilets.

If you're in the A category and getting on a bit age-wise, I suppose it is far more understandable to want to continue clubbing.
Reply 24
Think of it this way...I can't imagine going to the same club as my parents. Just kills the atmosphere...

Anyways, because most clubbers are young, naturally you would be suspicious of the much older folks.
It depends really. I'm 65 and I still love going clubbing as much as I can. I love getting jiggy with the young women. They definitely love the older man.
Sometimes when I'm out and see people twice my age, wearing nothing, and giving it yaldi on the dancefloor I initially think it's a bit sad. But then, if they're having fun, who cares? They aren't judging me for being barely able to walk and flapping my arms about like a ****: why should I judge them?

The pervy old men who go alone to try and pull 17 year olds are rubbish though.
I kind of feel like clubbing in your 30s is a bit much...But obviously each to their own, and if they feel young enough then good on them I guess.
When you ask for Pimms instead of Bacardi
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
That's a bit nasty.

I went to Gatecrasher in Leeds a few years ago, and it was far too noisy for me. I just wanted to sit in the corner and read my Telegraph, but the doorman kept insisting that if that's all I wanted to do I could do it in Starbucks. Cheeky ageist mofo.

Ha sorry, I meant more the pervy older men who try to dance with and get under 21 year old girls to go home with them. The kind who never grew up, still order WKDs and have yet to be in a real relationship even though they're bordering on middle age. Then again I come from at town where there seems to be no-one in the 18-29 range so I'm predjudiced. Sorry :smile:
I'm 19 and I'd be happy to never go to a club in the rest of my life. My aunts, in their 40s and 50s love it though. Each to their own.
There's no point going if you don't enjoy it any more, and that goes for any age. I'm 23and I just get bored and fed up within an hour or so in a club.
Reply 32
brightxburns
Personally, at that age, I think I will much prefer to be in a swanky bar or restaurant with friends.

*Yawn*

Why do you want to turn boring just because you turn 30? You can still do the things you enjoy. Hey, at 30 you may be able to afford to go to some decent clubs, as opposed to the ones you described in your post.
Reply 33
My Mum still went clubbing in her forties :p: and I've seen sixty year olds dancing the night away!
Reply 34
brimstone
My Mum still went clubbing in her forties :p: and I've seen sixty year olds dancing the night away!

There's a club back home where it used to be primarily oldies, then the kids wanted to join in the fun. Now it's a very mixed age club (we call it Grab-a-Granny night). Just proves though, there's absolutely no need to stop. Stop when you get bored, not when you hit a certain age.
Reply 35
I think by the time you're 40 it's really too weird.

Though saying that, I'm 22 and can probably count the number of times I've been clubbing on one hand. I much much prefer pubs, cocktail bars, that kind of thing.
Reply 36
Angelil
I think by the time you're 40 it's really too weird.

Though saying that, I'm 22 and can probably count the number of times I've been clubbing on one hand. I much much prefer pubs, cocktail bars, that kind of thing.

Why is it weird though? I mean, why are there clubs catering specifically to this age range if it is weird?
Reply 37
I went to Ibiza and the average age oF the group was 38.

I think its naive to think its just about age, its also attitude and (hate to sound lookist) but appearance etc. Plus, do you really like dance music?
Reply 38
SillyFencer
Why is it weird though? I mean, why are there clubs catering specifically to this age range if it is weird?

I don't think clubs tailored specifically to that age range are weird at all. However, older people going out clubbing with people half their age is weird imo and in some cases is probably predatory.
Reply 39
Angelil
I don't think clubs tailored specifically to that age range are weird at all. However, older people going out clubbing with people half their age is weird imo and in some cases is probably predatory.

I think what you find is that tastes change as people mature, which is why you end up with this divide of old-people clubs/young-people clubs. This threads seems to suggest though, that after a certain age people should stop going to clubs, which quite frankly - is a ridiculous notion.

Latest

Trending

Trending