The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

At what age should people stop going clubbing?

I went out the other day with some people who I just got to know and they asked me what I liked doing outside of study and work... A year ago I would have said clubbing for sure but now I'm not so sure... I'm worried I'm growing old too quickly!

Also, I've seen some oldies out clubbing and just think that they should be doing something else; don't want to sound harsh but isn't a bit sad not to mention embarassing...? If there were an age limit on clubbing, I would put it at around mid-30s...

What do you all think?

Scroll to see replies

ive stopped at 21.. i just get bored now.
I agree with you. I even think people should stop at 30, tops. At that age, why would you want to be in a sweaty, messy, hectic club, bumping and grinding with people half your age? Personally, at that age, I think I will much prefer to be in a swanky bar or restaurant with friends.

Of course, it is down to individual preference... but I really think the whole mad clubbing scene should be out of your system by the time you're 30. I can imagine you would feel very out of place going out on the town and finding yourself surrounded by MUCH younger people
Reply 3
Tbh you realise clubbing is rubbish after 19. Pubs and bars from then onwards.
Reply 4
I think clubbing does get a bit dull
id rather have one or two brilliant nights out in a month, than do it every week and feel like i have to go.
but you are as young as you feel, and being 30...good god!! shouldnt stop you going to a club, even if there are a load of skinny minny 12 year olds in there
iv even seen programmes about special oap nights...where people in there 40's, 50's, 60's go out clubbing, and to be honest....why shouldnt they.
id say that anyone who was in a club who was over 30 is just pushing it. bars and pubs are your scene not clubs!
I'm 21 and a graduate - I still enjoy going to clubs but don't go anywhere near as often as I used to in my 1st and 2nd years as a student. I spend an awful lot more time in pubs and bars... different scene but equally as fun.
Depends what the night is and who its aimed at.

I stopped clubbing several years ago but that's because I don't get anything out of it. To be honest, I was never a big night club person anyway - I'm more interested in doing other things on a Friday night.

That said, you will find some salsa/tango nights with a much greater range of ages.

I wouldn't expect to find someone in their 40s at a "hardcore house" night with the Ben Sherman brigade unless he was a David Brent type. However, someone of a similar age would not look out of place at a salsa night - especially if he was a good dancer.

Some older people are natural in that environment too - perhaps because they've made a living out of owning/running nightclubs and events (in which case dress sense and body language is likely to ensure they don't stand out as much.)

Others tend to be the object of ridicule/faux affection. Every town has their "disco dave" who is normally someone with a drink problem, in their 40s-60s and is seen in night clubs - dammit some of them even have facebook groups!

I'd like to think that these things are normally self-policing and that people choose to grow old gracefully or emigrate. (Think of all those older blokes who go clubbing in Spain or Thailand. Would they do so back in the UK? Probably not...but content to be corrected on that one.)
I prefer bars and pubs, because I get bored too easily in clubs. I'm not gonna dance and I'm not gonna flirt (much), so I fail to see the point of paying for admission. I'm 53, btw.
Reply 9
Stop when you stop having fun.
We went out with our lecturer last friday and have been out with/seen others out before. It's no biggie!
Reply 10
Redlime
id rather have one or two brilliant nights out in a month, than do it every week and feel like i have to go.
but you are as young as you feel, and being 30...good god!! shouldnt stop you going to a club, even if there are a load of skinny minny 12 year olds in there
iv even seen programmes about special oap nights...where people in there 40's, 50's, 60's go out clubbing, and to be honest....why shouldnt they.

as someone put it earlier, would you want to be getting jiggy, shaking your booty and grinding on the dance floor with people in their 40s, 50s, 60s...?
I was in Newquay last year and there was a place we went to, where we saw a drunk old man. It wasn't even a club, more of a bar and he just stood next to these girls and started dancing with his arm and drink in the air. The girls just left and the bloke came upto us and started chatting about the beach.
Reply 12
dealbreaker
as someone put it earlier, would you want to be getting jiggy, shaking your booty and grinding on the dance floor with people in their 40s, 50s, 60s...?

Erm, why not?? :confused:
I only dance with my friends anyway and people I'm attracted to. Who else is on the dancefloor is not important!
Reply 13
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I prefer bars and pubs, because I get bored too easily in clubs. I'm not gonna dance and I'm not gonna flirt (much), so I fail to see the point of paying for admission.

are you for real, man? This is in relation to you being 51 going on 52.
Reply 14
strawberryblue
id say that anyone who was in a club who was over 30 is just pushing it. bars and pubs are your scene not clubs!

How can you tell people you don't know what their scene is? :s-smilie:
It all depends when you started going clubbing and where you've ended up. I can imagine not getting tired of clubbing for a while if I went to London or Newcastle for university, but finding it a bit tired if I went somewhere like Cambridge.

Friend influence is also important. As a strict age, I'd say if you're over 30 and clubbing you've done something wrong. Unless you're trying to 'pull' a wife...
Reply 16
dealbreaker

honestly no, but if there are 'oap' nights and they all wana go along and dance and grind to duran duran then i say let them.

but honestly watching some 60 year olds get it on wouldnt be my cuppa tea, but i spose they were my age once and thought the same thing
Reply 17
Well I've never been clubbing and I'm 19.
But for people who do go I do think 30 is a bit old for it unless its a club where most people are that sort of age then I'd say a little later. However by 40 you really shouldn't be going.
Redlime

Since when are 40 and 50-year-olds considered OAPS?

And seriously, why would ANYONE go to a clubbing night tailored specifically for 'OAPs'? Even if you are an OAP yourself, I can't imagine that anyone with a modicum of dignity would drag their creaking limbs down there.

I say all this, but 40 years from now I will probably be down my local nightclub, demanding that the DJ play a now-obsolete Flo Rida song 'for me and my girls!'
Reply 19
There's an old man in my town who goes to all the clubs by himself. He must be around 70-80 years old and when people see him, they shake his hand and pose for pics. If he's not recognised, he'll walk over to you and shake your hand. Sometimes, I think I'm the only person to think how sad this is. If he ever comes near me, I ignore him and walk off :redface: He's no celeb! lol
I just think it's sad. I think once you have kids whatever, you don't want to go out clubbing..Never mind when you're seventy years of age.

Latest

Trending

Trending