The Student Room Group

Physics - electricity question - quick!

Hi, ok, let's say there is 2 components/solar cell in parallel , and then below that there is an another component. it is known that each component = 0.7V. It will sort of look like this, O being the solar cell
O----O
|
O
Now why is the total V here 1.4V? I thought it would be 0.7x3 = 2.1V right. I know that a component in parallel has equal voltage? So why is the answer 1.4V? If this is unclear, then i will post the question fully, but i hope that makes sense.
Reply 1
0.7x3 doesn’t work if its in parallel, that’s only applicable to a series circuit ..
Send in a photo of the actual question and I’ll try to help ?
Reply 2
Image below. It is known that the solar cell has a V=0.7V (right side of image, just solar cells in parallel, then below it, solar cell in series)
m.JPG
Original post by XZS
0.7x3 doesn’t work if its in parallel, that’s only applicable to a series circuit ..
Send in a photo of the actual question and I’ll try to help ?
Reply 3
For cells with the same emf, in parallel the total emf is equal to the emf of the cells e.g emf(total) = emf1 = emf2. In series the total emf is equal to the sum of the emfs so emf(total) = emf1 + emf 2. In this question the two cells in parallel will have a total emf equivalent to one, and then there's a third cell in series so the total emf in that circuit would be equal to 2x0.7 = 1.4v (2 cells of 0.7v in series).
Reply 4
Ohh okay, if my memory serves me right, must be one of kirchoff's law that may describe the total emf of parallel components.
Original post by Ldk111
For cells with the same emf, in parallel the total emf is equal to the emf of the cells e.g emf(total) = emf1 = emf2. In series the total emf is equal to the sum of the emfs so emf(total) = emf1 + emf 2. In this question the two cells in parallel will have a total emf equivalent to one, and then there's a third cell in series so the total emf in that circuit would be equal to 2x0.7 = 1.4v (2 cells of 0.7v in series).

Quick Reply

Latest