The Student Room Group

How do you minimise damage from rainforest logging?

I'm just a bit confused here... I'm going through my revision notes and my teacher has given me a heading of: "minimise damage caused by felling" as a way of sustainably managing the rainforest... and I just don't see how this can be done!! If you fell a tree then it will obviously pull down lianas, epiphytes, vines, crush saplings and remove a part of the canopy... is there any other way of felling a tree without it falling down like this?? Only way I can think of it airlifting it and that doesn't seem very realistic in a LEDC like Brazil or Cameroon!!
Reply 1
what its getting at is the removal of value trees such as the hard woods without felling other trees around them. What normally happens is all the trees are removed, but with sustainable felling only the trees wanted are.
Reply 2
is this gcse?
I can remember something about:
Cutting trees down in bands. Where you cut down the trees in one band and then leave them. While they are re growing you cut down the next band of trees and when the other band of trees grows back you go back and cut that band of trees down or something.
3 years since i did that so im not 100% sure :P
Tomdale

I can remember something about:
Cutting trees down in bands. Where you cut down the trees in one band and then leave them. While they are re growing you cut down the next band of trees and when the other band of trees grows back you go back and cut that band of trees down or something.

This is called the Biosphere Reserve Model.
Reply 4
GodspeedGehenna
This is called the Biosphere Reserve Model.

Hah i knew i wasnt talking Bo****s

Latest

Trending

Trending