The Student Room Group

A-level Edexcel Geography Paper 2 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
didn't they say what percentage the 4 countries take up of australias population? the 2.8mill was only listed for 3 and that was 83 percent so you had to work out what the 4 together I'm pretty sure then work out the percentage of total pop?? anyone else do this. got 60 something percent. May be completely wrong though and did think it was a lot for 2 marks ahah
Original post by Medic.213
45.2... pretty sure its wrong lol

I also got 45.2
what did everyone here get on their coursework out of 70?
Same
Original post by Jacob Billyeald
I also got 45.2
We haven't been told by our teacher
Somehow managed to get 66!
Original post by Samiyah31
Somehow managed to get 66!

thats so good!

When did they start officially grading the coursework? I haven't received mine yet
Original post by Jacob Billyeald
When did they start officially grading the coursework? I haven't received mine yet

teachers had marked it when we handed it in like before easter holidays the we got given mark
Reply 49
66 or 67 I think
For the successful regions I did, Sydney, London docklands regeneration, Detroit rust belt aswell as Belgium from the booklet
I got like 24/70 lol haha
Original post by Discrepancy
Everyone ran out of time though, not sure why.

SWEAR DOWN, I literally kept on looking at the clock and an like oh **** need to write faster, they should seriously give us more time for Geo, there is so much writing
Original post by jacktarch
For regeneration
3 marker was explaining a choropleth map of the uk and income
6 marker about regeneration and local living environment
6 marker about why fracking/infrastructure may not regenerate the economy of some communities
20 mark on the evaluating the reason of success of places (flanders/walloon and your own case studies)

****...I didn't use any of my own case studies, just information from the booklet
Original post by The RAR
****...I didn't use any of my own case studies, just information from the booklet

Same I just mainly used the booklet... will I not get as many marks if I only used the booklet on Walloon and flander
What I got 😃

Question 1: (though this one was on how globalisation has improved the environment in developed countries)

-Global shift in manufacturing East means most polluting industries e.g Steel industry from the UK has been moved to countries like China. Therefore most developed countries as a result of economic restructuring have displaced their problem.

(4 marks)

ii)
- The most successful method is localism and transition towns encouraged production of goods e.g growing fruits and vegetables in local areas. Makes the local area look appealing, reduces contribution to the environment but also successful socially and economically as it provides jobs and self sufficiency.
- Amazon tribes lost lifestyles and loss of value for their land meant deforestation - First Nations canada aim to retain their culture and value for their land. Successful but cannot be applied to all local environments globally
- Least successful - recycling. Helps manage waste locally but if biodegradable packing is used it reduced all together you wouldn’t need so much packaging in the local environment anyway.
- Conclusion - most successful is localism

(12 marks)

Superpowers
1)
- talked about USA declining economically
- Global shift East means countries like China are economically strengthening
- These countries could be similar in terms of economy
-
(4 marks)

ii) -
- superpowers disproportionately contribute because of their large resource demands, thus competing demands over limited resources. How different reasons lead to significant some are more significant than others.
- increase need for water - trans boundary conflict. Mekong. Significant because they cause a lot of tension over multiple countries. 2000 water tension events so far.
- As use increased - availability decrease as so price increases. This causes tensions globally.
- Less significant cause: Dilemma. Emerging powers now industrialising whereas super powers have already and are focusing on their environment. Tension on global forums for example COP24 about inhibiting the pollution cause by emerging powers. But this is not as significant as the super powers benefit from the production as they are the largest consumers.

(12 marks)

Diverse places

1. Cannot remember this one but I remember finding it okay

(3 or 4 marks)

ii)
- In some places tensions are caused because of social clustering whereas in others there’s more assimilation of cultures, seen as stakeholders.
- Luton - tensions by political party cause Britain’s First whereas in other place se.g Slough people are working to reduce these tensions by educating etc.

(6 marks)

iii)
- Non-English signs can be used to show characteristics of the ethnicities that live there. E.g Southall
- Services can also show characteristics - E.g Polish shops in the rural area of Boston North Lincolnshire

(6 marks)

iiii) legit just compared.
- Brusselshas been employment than Charleroi. More employment means more opportunities thus more desirable. However also a high population so increased competition.
- Brussels has lower crime rates this safer for people to live in. However hidden crimes are not recorded in crime rates it could have a black market.
- Environmental quality is good in Charleroi but there’s on the map (coal reserves and oil reserves so must be mining) but in Brussels there’s pollution from vehicles. However more greenery in Brussels than Belgium and also life expectancy higher in brussels than Charleroi.
- Conclusion - other things should be taken into account e.g happiness, satisfaction with life etc

(20 marks)

i) this was useless.

ii)
- Education impacts the economy because if 6% have achieved an upper secondary school education, they are not trained enough workforce. Education is human capital which attracts TNCs but an educated population would not be much of an incentive.
- Education means better awareness of hygiene thus more like live healthier and better I health. Healthy workforce means less time off work therefor better economy. Not the case tho.

(6 marks)

iii)
- types of government - go through democratic (more freedom of speech e.g India) and authoritarian (more censorship e.g China)
- Some counties e.g USA invoke human right discussion on global platforms. Whereas counties like Singapore limit human rights, prefer economic growth calling themselves a ‘conservative society’
- Corruption levels. Less in the UK - law less likely to be subverted. In Zimbabwe - more corruption so law more like to be subverted.

(8 marks)

iiii)
- Development aid - differential record of success.
- Bangladesh (it increased inequality) because of self-seeking donors. Poor lost out. However world Banks project for global education decreased half the number of people out of school form poor backgrounds.
- Haiti - aid dependency, corruption and still a poor country. But Ebola crisis - rich ppl could afford treatment but UN missions and EU 3 billion meant that even poor peoples lives could be saved.
- Gender inequality- UN urged donors for projects. Decreased maternal mortality by 59%. However did not tackle cultures.
- Conclusion - largely does not decrease inequalities. Cuz self seeking donors.

(20 marker)

What I got - but dam these exams have been something else. Nothing compared to that specimen and past papers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I compared London and Cornwall too
67 somehow lol. This is gonna be my saviour
Original post by jacktarch
For regeneration
3 marker was explaining a choropleth map of the uk and income
6 marker about regeneration and local living environment
6 marker about why fracking/infrastructure may not regenerate the economy of some communities
20 mark on the evaluating the reason of success of places (flanders/walloon and your own case studies)

For my own knowledge, I did a comparison between London and Cornwall. Thats fine isn't it?
Pretty much think I completely failed this. I made one point on my first 20 marker and none on my second. :frown:

It was a very long paper considering the time we were given, should have answered the bigger questions first.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending