The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
urm..i was asking on equipotential so according to the definition it's the field strength. Does field strength have direction? If it doesn't, why should there be signs in the first place.
Reply 21
Oh sorry! Equipotential is when there is equal potential which is potential energy. If it was field strength then the it could be negative which would signal an opposite direction. However equipotential would have to increase with increasing distance by the formula E = mgh (even taking into account the decreasing gravitational strength)
Sorry about that, misread the question, guess Robob was right.
Reply 22
so it increases? Will the sign affect the magnitude?
Reply 23
~Adel~
so it increases? Will the sign affect the magnitude?

You know it'd be much easier if you just read my posts.
Reply 24
sphixter
Oh sorry! Equipotential is when there is equal potential which is potential energy. If it was field strength then the it could be negative which would signal an opposite direction. However equipotential would have to increase with increasing distance by the formula E = mgh (even taking into account the decreasing gravitational strength)
Sorry about that, misread the question, guess Robob was right.

No, it's not gravitational potential energy, and mgh is only for small changes in h.

For an electric field you usually define the zero point to be at infinity, and depending on the charge producing the field, the potentials can be negative or positive at other positions.
Reply 25
which past paper is this?
Reply 26
Robob
No, it's not gravitational potential energy, and mgh is only for small changes in h.

For an electric field you usually define the zero point to be at infinity, and depending on the charge producing the field, the potentials can be negative or positive at other positions.

Why is it an electric field? He's talking about the earth.
Reply 27
OK, official answers here. Since equipotential means lines of equal gravitational potential, it decreases as it gets further away from the earth's surface and i don't think the signs make a difference. The magnitude decreases no matter what. Example, going away from the earth's surface, the values will be like this(an example): -56Mj/kg, -46Mj/kg, -36Mj/kg and so on.
Reply 28
sphixter
Why is it an electric field? He's talking about the earth.

Ok, sorry.

The rest of what I said still holds.

And OP, read what I said please, stop just ignoring it.
Reply 29
I didn't ignore it..(OK, actually i did, a little bit)because i didn't really understand what you said. Anyway, the exam's over and Unit 5 was a disaster. It's the worst paper that i've ever sat for.

Anyway, you have my gratitude for spending time answering my question. I'll read it again now and see if i understand it. (maybe i was under stress yesterday so my mind couldn't click with your explanation).

Latest