The Student Room Group

Alguien puede ayudarme con la traduccion de esta frase?

Es de un texto sobre "una protesta vecinal en el barrio de Barceloneta". Una mujer está hablando de unos ladrones que han robado todas las cosas de la casa de una de sus amigas, Sra. Montse.

El texto dice que Sra. Montse fue a la comisaria "donde le dijeron que ellos solo se ocupan de los yates que fuera a la de Nou de la Rambla"

???

muchas gracias
Reply 1
The commissary "only occupied themself with the yachts outside of Nou de la Rambia (a street, as far as I can tell from Google)". In other words, when she went to the commissary, they told her that this was outside their area of responsibility.

Note: I'm not entirely familiar with the use of the expression "que fuera" in this sentence. I'm thinking that it means the boats outside of that area, but I'd suggest you wait until someone else as well posts, just to be certain :P
Reply 2
doesn't the 'que fuera' refer to the 'yates', in which case it should be 'fueran'?

i'm confused.

where is the subjunctive trigger in this phrase?
Reply 3
It doesn't really make sense grammatically, it's like something's missing. Odd sentence.
Reply 4
fjorddragon
It doesn't really make sense grammatically, it's like something's missing. Odd sentence.

i felt the same :s-smilie: or maybe i'm just confused still.

OP, what source is the sentence from?
Reply 5
source: http://www.ruidos.org/Prensa/2002ago/020812_vanguardia.html

I don't know what the sentence means but 'fuera' is not a verb here so 'fueran' doesn't make sense.
Reply 6
I think fuera is definitely used here as the imperfect subjunctive of 'ser' - but I don't get why it's singular...

EDIT: maybe they've missed a word or have made a grammatical error...
Reply 7
Hey I just thought I'd let you know that I asked about this in the invaluable wordreference.com forums and the answer according to native spanish speakers is that

"que fuera" here means 'to go', and Le dijeron que fuera = they told her to go

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?p=5246627#post5246627
Reply 8
Saltant
Hey I just thought I'd let you know that I asked about this in the invaluable wordreference.com forums and the answer according to native spanish speakers is that

"que fuera" here means 'to go', and Le dijeron que fuera = they told her to go

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?p=5246627#post5246627

Hmm very interesting, thank you for asking, I was very curious about this now I know what it means :biggrin:
Reply 9
"Donde le dijeron que ellos solo se ocupan de los yates que fuera a la de Nou de la Rambla"

I think that what is missing in this phrase is a comma. And possibly a "y".

"Donde le dijeron que ellos solo se ocupan de los yates, y que fuera a la de Nou de la Rambla"
Reply 10
With a comma and a "y" it suddenly makes a lot more sense :smile:
Reply 11
Hi!
I am a Spanish speaker and it makes sense to me, although this is mostly oral. Evidently for written speech you would need a comma.

"donde le dijeron que ellos solo se ocupan de los yates que fuera a la de Nou de la Rambla"

So, ignoring the fact that that 'sólo' has got an accent (sólo - only, solo - alone), the sentence would be "where he/she was told that they just work with yatchs, that he/she should go to the one in Nou de la Rambla". In the original sentence I have marked "a la" because that bit of information is missing!!
"where they told that they alone are in charge of the yachts that went to that of Nou of the Avenue" - according to free translation :wink:

I think the answer has already been given, but from what I can tell it's a little gramatically incorrect, unless you've done a typo?
Reply 13
the free translation isn't totally exact. If it says "le dijeron" it's "he/she was told", one single person, whereas "les dijeron" would mean "they were told". And not "alone" but "only".
The sentence is not gramatically incorrect, I use that kind of constructions usually. Spanish is gramatically freer than English, but anyway a comma is needed between "yates" and "que". It's reported speech.
Reply 14
I can't remember how I translated it in the end but thanks to everyone :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending