The Student Room Group
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London

does first year medicine count towards degree

Do your first year MBBS results count towards your final degree?
What are the % weightings for each year of the six years with respect to the final degree?
Depends on the university :smile:

There are two different ways your med school results could be important, aside from simply passing the degree!

Firstly, certain exams will count towards your overall grade if you’d like to graduate with a distinction/ honours. Sometimes, this means constantly achieving a certain percentage e.g. 70% consistently throughout the degree in most if not all of your exams. It doesn’t really matter as finishing the degree is an achievement enough but obviously for your own sense of achievement, extra points on some application forms and bragging rights it’s something to consider...

Secondly, and more important for the majority of medical students is the fact your grades may contribute to your EPM (education performance measure) which gives you points for Foundation Year applications. The years/ grades that count vary depending on the school so you’d have to check with your med school. For example, at Southampton it’s only our 3rd and 4th year exams that count towards EPM so are ranked and stuff whereas the other years are pass and progress.

Hope this helps. Sorry I’m not a St George’s student but hopefully it’s a starting point and a med student from your uni will help :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London
Original post by zzzrd
Do your first year MBBS results count towards your final degree?
What are the % weightings for each year of the six years with respect to the final degree?

Hi!

So, at St. George's the cumulative score from first and second year allows you to go onto the clinical years (third year and beyond). In that sense, yes first year counts, but say for example you did not do that well, you would have to make up for it in your second year (this is tough but still doable!). From experience, I would take all years quite seriously as it means you won't be playing "catch up" as the exams have several synoptic components (meaning knowledge from previous semesters will be tested). This of course is to ensure that you have the knowledge that is needed as a medical student and if there are any gaps, you can work on this and build it up!

With regard to the specific weightings, I don't know this by heart, but your clinical years, mostly third and fourth years of Medicine, count the most towards your degree. I will find out for you though and let you know if I receive any further information about this.

I hope that helps and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Best Wishes,

MJ

4th Year Medical Student

Official University Rep of St. George's University of London
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Is this the case for norwich medical school too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending