The Student Room Group

Does each year at uni count

Does each year in uni contribute equally to your overall degree classification? Because I've heard that first year doesn't count. Like, what are the percentages for each year, or is it 33.3%?
Original post by Anonymous
Does each year in uni contribute equally to your overall degree classification? Because I've heard that first year doesn't count. Like, what are the percentages for each year, or is it 33.3%?

This depends on the regulations at each specific uni.

I would say most UK unis use years 2 & 3, (and 25/75 or 33/66 weightings are common), but some use 1st year results as well, (perhaps 10% towards your classification).

Confusingly, (I'm looking at you Coventry), some unis have more than one system for classifying and apply whichever one gives you the best result.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey there!

It depends on your course but usually your first year doesn't count towards your final grade. You still have to pass it in order to move onto your second year of study so technically it does "count" but in terms of your overall degree marking, it doesn't necessarily. In your second year, usually the module grade you do the worst on is discounted from your degree grade as an anomaly but this may not be true for all courses.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,

That would really depend on your subject and your University. You are most likely to find this information under your division's website. Alternatively, you could always get in touch with them if you are unsure where to access this.

For my degree, first year did not count towards my final grade, my second year contributed 40%, and my third year contributes 60%. However, I am aware of others whose first year account for a significant amount of their degree, so it is always best to check with your own University.

I hope this helps.

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4

1st year won't count towards your official grade however if you're looking to apply to any programs during that first or second year then it will count. A strong first year grade will also mean you're understanding the subject well, so first year doesn't count but it matters like every other year matters. You're also paying for that education so not doing your best is only harming yourself.

As already stated it's definitely dependent on which university you go to. They all have different regulations and rules regarding the weightings.

Here at my university (Lancaster), first year does not count towards you degree at all and you only have to pass in order to start your second year.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending