The Student Room Group

I hate uni.

Doing a subject I don't like and the uni wouldnt let me switch my subject at the beginning of the year. I took a gap year to resit my a levels after my school ruined my grades and made me lose my place for medicine, and I got an unconditional offer at my current uni, it was the only offer I got so I had no other choice but to study here. I havent done any of the essays for this first year and missed probably most of the lectures, and know nothing about my course. Because of a pure hate for my subject and complete disinterest. Exams start in 2 days and i've done no preparation.
Reply 1
Just feel pretty hopeless in life. I was even getting bullied in one of the societies, people making up rumours about me, I even had to get police involved.
Reply 2
What grades did you achieve in A levels after your resit?
Reply 3
Original post by Dnsnnssn
What grades did you achieve in A levels after your resit?

A*AA.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
A*AA.

Reapply to medicine one more time.
Reply 5
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Reapply to medicine one more time.

No way, i don't wanna do that
Reply 6
At the risk of sounding harsh, grow up.

How did your school ruin your grades? They didn’t do the exams for you, they didn’t even mark them. You had to revise for them, put in the time, energy and effort. COVID is not a valid excuse. Your amazing resit grades proved that was the case as well.

You could’ve applied to other courses through clearing, if medicine wasn’t possible. You could’ve waited again, reapplied for uni and/or medicine. Believe it or not there is not major harm in waiting or going to uni older than 18/19.

What course did you end up getting into? Why did you even pick it in the first place if you either a) didn’t want to do it or b) thought there was a chance you might end up doing it. Also, what is it you don’t like about it? The teaching, the modules, something else?

If you are doing something like biomedical sciences etc that can be converted or used to enter medicine after, it’s not all doom and gloom. But you’ve also said you don’t want to reapply for medicine, so simply you need to ask yourself - what do you want to do? What do you want to study? Where? Why?

If it was that bad, you could also have left if the uni didn’t let you change and for elsewhere. Wasting a year doing something you don’t want too, esp when so much money is being spent and everything that goes into it, you would been better off cutting your loss in the first term and then starting again the year later, as least then everything would feel more worth it.

Just because of all these perceived injustices and it being everyone else’s fault, you’ve stopped trying, putting in the work, time, energy and effort. It’s seems you’re have this poor frame of mind, with poor habits. That’s why YOU didn’t do the essays, YOU didn’t attend lectures, YOU don’t know the course material, YOU are unprepared.

All of that poor, negative attitude is what feeds into you not doing anything and ultimately likely to fail the first year (based on what you said). There is only one common theme in all of this.

Also, if you get poor grades in first year, other course and other uni are less likely to accept you because they’ll think you can’t handle to work or have the right attitude, and they might be onto something

If you don’t like it, leave and stop sulking. Grow up and behave like a mature person. Take some responsibility for yourself, your decisions, and your actions . There’s a lot in your power, but you’re choosing to do nothing good with em an that’s why you feel the way you do and are frustrated.
Reply 7

How did your school ruin your grades? They didn’t do the exams for you, they didn’t even mark them. You had to revise for them, put in the time, energy and effort. COVID is not a valid excuse. Your amazing resit grades proved that was the case as well.

You could’ve applied to other courses through clearing, if medicine wasn’t possible. You could’ve waited again, reapplied for uni and/or medicine. Believe it or not there is not major harm in waiting or going to uni older than 18/19.

What course did you end up getting into? Why did you even pick it in the first place if you either a) didn’t want to do it or b) thought there was a chance you might end up doing it. Also, what is it you don’t like about it? The teaching, the modules, something else?

If you are doing something like biomedical sciences etc that can be converted or used to enter medicine after, it’s not all doom and gloom. But you’ve also said you don’t want to reapply for medicine, so simply you need to ask yourself - what do you want to do? What do you want to study? Where? Why?

If it was that bad, you could also have left if the uni didn’t let you change and for elsewhere. Wasting a year doing something you don’t want too, esp when so much money is being spent and everything that goes into it, you would been better off cutting your loss in the first term and then starting again the year later, as least then everything would feel more worth it.

Just because of all these perceived injustices and it being everyone else’s fault, you’ve stopped trying, putting in the work, time, energy and effort. It’s seems you’re have this poor frame of mind, with poor habits. That’s why YOU didn’t do the essays, YOU didn’t attend lectures, YOU don’t know the course material, YOU are unprepared.

All of that poor, negative attitude is what feeds into you not doing anything and ultimately likely to fail the first year (based on what you said). There is only one common theme in all of this.

Also, if you get poor grades in first year, other course and other uni are less likely to accept you because they’ll think you can’t handle to work or have the right attitude, and they might be onto something

If you don’t like it, leave and stop sulking. Grow up and behave like a mature person. Take some responsibility for yourself, your decisions, and your actions . There’s a lot in your power, but you’re choosing to do nothing good with em an that’s why you feel the way you do and are frustrated.

It is harsh but you've hit the nail on the head- ultimately the only one who can change the situation is OP themselves.
Reply 8

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to try my best and make sure I pass now. I needed this.
Reply 9

The school ruined my grades, because 2021 A-Levels got cancelled and I was given unfair grades by them. I got 60% in the internal biology assessment, which is counted as an A according to AQA grade boundaries, and the school gave me a C which was completely unfair.

I hope you now understand why I said this.
Reply 10
There’s a lot in your power

what exactly?
Reply 11
Just quit.

You’ve screwed the pooch on this degree anyway so you might as well not throw anymore good money after bad. Get out before you incur any more fees, and just go and do something else.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Trinculo
Just quit.

You’ve screwed the pooch on this degree anyway so you might as well not throw anymore good money after bad. Get out before you incur any more fees, and just go and do something else.

I've been informed I can change my subject for second year, so I'm going to do my best now and hopefully should be able to pass.
Reply 13
I've been informed I can change my subject for second year, so I'm going to do my best now and hopefully should be able to pass.

One day ago you said you hated the subject, were completely disinterested and had done zero work, no essays and attended no lectures. How exactly are you going to turn things around given that you’re procrastinating at 1.30am with one day until exams start?
(edited 12 months ago)
Tbh, even if you did do badly but managed to pass these exams, you could still turn things around in years 2-3 if you put in a ton of effort. For me, first year didn't even count lol (not that employers won't be able to see those grades tho). But only if you that's what you truly want. I 100% agree with anonymous #2. I don't think it was that harsh either- just something you probably needed to hear. Now just work hard to do as best as you can in these exams. Good luck.
Anon #1

As @kaorimiyazono has said, if you can pass the year, then you can turn things around.

Remember that the results you get in first year do not count towards your degree. The only thing you need to do is pass.

It's great that the university is now letting you potentially switch course.

Take time over the summer to carefully think about it.

It is difficult to achieve your best, if you're not motivated.

All the best with your exams,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Doing a subject I don't like and the uni wouldnt let me switch my subject at the beginning of the year. I took a gap year to resit my a levels after my school ruined my grades and made me lose my place for medicine, and I got an unconditional offer at my current uni, it was the only offer I got so I had no other choice but to study here. I havent done any of the essays for this first year and missed probably most of the lectures, and know nothing about my course. Because of a pure hate for my subject and complete disinterest. Exams start in 2 days and i've done no preparation.

Have you considered uni might not be for you (it’s not for everyone). It doesn’t mean you can’t/won’t be a success in life there are jobs that don’t require degrees (and I mean good well paying jobs with pretty cool perks). Your A-level grades are so good you could walk just into some of them (well in to an interview at least) some will have exams during training but that’s only some of them where preforming well is important like being an airline pilot (yes that is one of them.). Maybe end the year then do some research and see if any jobs like that (just google jobs without degrees take your fancy).
(edited 11 months ago)
Drop out 🅱️oi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending