The Student Room Group

Medicine - do I need to face the harsh reality?

Hi all,

So I need serious advice because I don’t know what I should do anymore. My dream as a child was to study medicine, and even now it’s still my biggest dream. But circumstances meant I couldn’t take my GCSEs because of COVID and consequently my GCSE results were below the average and not as competitive as I would’ve preferred.

Then I’ll take responsibility and say that my A level experience was pretty much a car crash, as I was going through a lot in the past 2 years (I know that no medical university will take account of though). I walked away with 3 Bs and I knew that it wouldn’t be good enough to apply so here I am now in my gap year.

I actually did apply for pharmacy this year, and my thought process was that if I still wanted to do med at the end of the degree, then I could maybe apply to do it as a postgrad degree? But I know how competitive this is too, so now I’ve been thrown off balance.

Ideally, I should have resat my A levels during my gap year but I didn’t really consider doing this at the time. My point is, would it be pointless taking another year out to resit my A levels and then applying for medicine? Or am I just better off pursuing the pharmacy degree?

I don’t really want to give up this time so I need advice on which path is the most viable. Advice is appreciated!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Resit A-levels and get a relevant job alongside them. You seem to have wanted to do medicine quite consistently, so it doesn't make sense to take another degree without even having given it a shot. As you'll know, graduate entry medicine is more competitive than standard undergraduate courses and it comes with less funding and extra debt. It's not an advisable route if you already know that you want to do med.
Hi I see what you’re saying, but do you think I will be at a disadvantage given that I will have reset my A levels 2 years after originally sitting them? So essentially I will have taken 2 gap years which is what I’m worried will affect my application?
Original post by Uncertaintimes
Hi I see what you’re saying, but do you think I will be at a disadvantage given that I will have reset my A levels 2 years after originally sitting them? So essentially I will have taken 2 gap years which is what I’m worried will affect my application?

Contact some unis and ask how you'd be considered for undergrad med if you retook now.

Any disadvantage is likely to be outweighed by how much more competitive grad entry med is. Plus it's longer and more expensive. Even if your odds were identical then undergrad is still probably your best route, (unless you genuinely want to do pharmacy as a career and med would just be a distant plan B).
Original post by Admit-One
Contact some unis and ask how you'd be considered for undergrad med if you retook now.

Any disadvantage is likely to be outweighed by how much more competitive grad entry med is. Plus it's longer and more expensive. Even if your odds were identical then undergrad is still probably your best route, (unless you genuinely want to do pharmacy as a career and med would just be a distant plan B).

Oh for some reason I thought it was heavily discouraged, but I will definitely follow up and email around! I may retake all my A levels then if I still have a shot at applying, thank you so much for your advice!

No, the number of gap years doesn't matter.

What does matter is that some medical schools will have specific expectations about when/how you resit to be considered so you need to check those (i.e. some will only consider resits with extenuating circumstances, some will require you to have achieved minimum results in your first sitting before resitting, some will expect you to resit all subjects together to be considered, etc).
I'm in a similar situation to you. ABCC at a levels due to some health issues in 2021- jumped right into a degree afterwards and dropped out a few months in because I simply didn't enjoy it and I knew I wanted to do medicine.
A lot of medical courses have strict requirements (If you'd like I can give you a list someone from TSR gave to me about med schools that may accept resits but I would suggest you contact those unis you're interested in directly explaining your situation to see if they will accept your application), but provided you have a competitive ucat, are determined to achieve the grades and show what you have learned in the last two years you will have no issues.
Depending on the uni (I currently have an offer for Barts and did this), they have extenuating circumstances procedures where you fill a form prior to application so you know for sure if they'll be able to accept an application from you before applying. No one discriminated against me for my two year gap and resitting and what they really want is for you to reflect on your experiences to show how they have prepared you for this potential career. If anything they were really interested in my journey at interview because of the resilience it showed. Everyone takes different paths and I remember and really still do feel really alone because I feel like no one is in a situation like mine but the reality is many applicants are resit applicants or gap year applicants or graduate applicants. The path isn't always straight and that's okay too.
Original post by saraj937
I'm in a similar situation to you. ABCC at a levels due to some health issues in 2021- jumped right into a degree afterwards and dropped out a few months in because I simply didn't enjoy it and I knew I wanted to do medicine.
A lot of medical courses have strict requirements (If you'd like I can give you a list someone from TSR gave to me about med schools that may accept resits but I would suggest you contact those unis you're interested in directly explaining your situation to see if they will accept your application), but provided you have a competitive ucat, are determined to achieve the grades and show what you have learned in the last two years you will have no issues.
Depending on the uni (I currently have an offer for Barts and did this), they have extenuating circumstances procedures where you fill a form prior to application so you know for sure if they'll be able to accept an application from you before applying. No one discriminated against me for my two year gap and resitting and what they really want is for you to reflect on your experiences to show how they have prepared you for this potential career. If anything they were really interested in my journey at interview because of the resilience it showed. Everyone takes different paths and I remember and really still do feel really alone because I feel like no one is in a situation like mine but the reality is many applicants are resit applicants or gap year applicants or graduate applicants. The path isn't always straight and that's okay too.

You are such a strong and inspiring individual, thank you so much for this insight. It’s really good to hear that there’s still hope for me too because I really did think I was the only one on this pathway.

The only issue is I’m not sure if my situation counts as an extenuating circumstance, but I will definitely look into that so thank you!
Reply 9
Hi all,

So I need serious advice because I don’t know what I should do anymore. My dream as a child was to study medicine, and even now it’s still my biggest dream. But circumstances meant I couldn’t take my GCSEs because of COVID and consequently my GCSE results were below the average and not as competitive as I would’ve preferred.

Then I’ll take responsibility and say that my A level experience was pretty much a car crash, as I was going through a lot in the past 2 years (I know that no medical university will take account of though). I walked away with 3 Bs and I knew that it wouldn’t be good enough to apply so here I am now in my gap year.

I actually did apply for pharmacy this year, and my thought process was that if I still wanted to do med at the end of the degree, then I could maybe apply to do it as a postgrad degree? But I know how competitive this is too, so now I’ve been thrown off balance.

Ideally, I should have resat my A levels during my gap year but I didn’t really consider doing this at the time. My point is, would it be pointless taking another year out to resit my A levels and then applying for medicine? Or am I just better off pursuing the pharmacy degree?

I don’t really want to give up this time so I need advice on which path is the most viable. Advice is appreciated!

Reading through, it actually seems to come down to whether you would actually want to do pharmacy and whether you would be happy doing it. As you say, medicine would be there as a potential career option later, as would a number of others once you graduated. You’d have options and a secure financial and career base from which to apply. Yes, more competitive but lower stakes for you as well if you’ve got a good back up career that you’re happy with.

if you feel that that’s not for you, by all means resit and reapply for medicine.
As TMTDRN says, don't do any vocational degree unless you'd be happy to have it as a long-term career.

After biomedical science, pharmacy seems to be the degree most commonly chosen by people who are looking for a stepping stone towards grad med. I've met a few penultimate-year MPharm students who did it solely for this reason, and without exception, they've been indifferent or lukewarm at best towards their course. Now this could just be coincidence - for all I know there are lots of other people out there who started out wanting medicine but ended up enjoying their pharmacy degree. It just seems like an unnecessary gamble to take unless you're reasonably confident you'll like it.
Guys is anyone in the IB M23 cohort I am anxiously waiting for my results right now 🥲

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending