The Student Room Group

Bathmophobia - fear of steep slopes or stairs

Hi all!

I'm just curious to see if anyone here suffers from this phobia?

I do.

My phobia seemed to come out of nowhere. I never had a fear of heights or any bad experiences involving steep slopes, but one day when I was on a hike, I got to the top of a steep slope I had to walk down and was literally paralysed with fear. I couldn't move, started to hyperventilate, cried and had to be helped down by two of my friends - it was very embarrassing and surprising! Since then, I've had several similar experiences, most recently of which happened today! One of the lecture theatres at my new uni is very steep and I had to awkwardly explain to a girl I'd just met that we would have to sit near the front. Cringe. And you should've seen me at the Manchester Arena earlier this year - I mean, does that place really have to be so damn steep?!

It's not a huge issue in my life, but it does crop up occasionally (usually causing very embarrassing situations). I was thrilled when I found out this phobia had a name - bathmophobia.

Anyway, is there anyone else here that suffers from this phobia? Just curious!

Loren

P.S. If you do, NEVER visit San Francisco!!!
Reply 1
Hi Loren.

Wow, you posted 3 year's ago and seems no one responded.

I suffer badly from this and steps are everywhere in France, where I live.

I also feel so ashamed, having to ask friends to help me up and down stairs.

Was never like it in the UK, but here, in France, it is a huge issue.

I used to fall a lot, due to small feet, but huge shoes.

I see myself falling down the stairs and panic grips me.

Has yours inproved now?

Suzanna
Reply 2
Original post by Joblife
Hi Loren.

Wow, you posted 3 year's ago and seems no one responded.

I suffer badly from this and steps are everywhere in France, where I live.

I also feel so ashamed, having to ask friends to help me up and down stairs.

Was never like it in the UK, but here, in France, it is a huge issue.

I used to fall a lot, due to small feet, but huge shoes.

I see myself falling down the stairs and panic grips me.

Has yours inproved now?

Suzanna

Hi Suzanna! I'm still here, 3 years on!

I guess not many people have this phobia, hence no replies. I still have the same phobia, but I am generally able to avoid hills and steep steps, so it doesn't bother me too much. I live in Manchester city, so not out in the hills, thankfully. I don't know where my phobia came from, I've never fallen down a hill or steps or anything. It's very odd!
Reply 3
Hey i just came across this post as i am googling what the hell is wrong with me. I went to the manchester arena about 6 months ago and i was panicking going down the stairs i have been dozens of times before without problems, i thought it was a one off then i went again lastnight with my little girl and i had a full panic attack, my 10 year old was calming me down i was sweating and felt like crying. I couldnt enjoy myself as all i was thinking about was if she needed another wee. I was so embarrassed x
Reply 4
Original post by Nicj1986123
Hey i just came across this post as i am googling what the hell is wrong with me. I went to the manchester arena about 6 months ago and i was panicking going down the stairs i have been dozens of times before without problems, i thought it was a one off then i went again lastnight with my little girl and i had a full panic attack, my 10 year old was calming me down i was sweating and felt like crying. I couldnt enjoy myself as all i was thinking about was if she needed another wee. I was so embarrassed x

Oh, I can relate to this! Manchester Arena has the same effect on me! I can't sit above the first tier if I go. I've had panic attacks on group tours and had to be physically carried down a hill because I couldn't move - that was embarrassing! I've not overcome the phobia, but generally I find it easy enough just to avoid hills, so it's not usually too much of a problem. I've missed out on hikes and things with friends, though. Not ideal!
Reply 5
Original post by Nerol
Hi Suzanna! I'm still here, 3 years on!

I guess not many people have this phobia, hence no replies. I still have the same phobia, but I am generally able to avoid hills and steep steps, so it doesn't bother me too much. I live in Manchester city, so not out in the hills, thankfully. I don't know where my phobia came from, I've never fallen down a hill or steps or anything. It's very odd!

Hi I ve just come across this post today and I have been suffering with this phobia for years and it does crop up whenever I have to drive down a hill or walk down a hill or steep stairs and I always need help and I always avoid any hills when driving and won't drive down it no matter what happens.
It's got worse over time.
I know I need to overcome it and need help.
Reply 6
Hi Suzanne and Nerol,

I ve just come across this post and I m sure I have the same phobia because I can't drive down hills or go up hills and even walking down a hill which xan seem steep to me and going up and even stairs which I can find hard if they steep or coming down them.
I will avoid it all and won't even drive if I come across a hill or a bridge.
I ve had this for years and I know I should have had therapy or tried to resolve it by finding out what could help me.
I am in Manchester too.
Reply 7
Original post by ShaheenR
Hi I ve just come across this post today and I have been suffering with this phobia for years and it does crop up whenever I have to drive down a hill or walk down a hill or steep stairs and I always need help and I always avoid any hills when driving and won't drive down it no matter what happens.
It's got worse over time.
I know I need to overcome it and need help.

Original post by ShaheenR
Hi Suzanne and Nerol,

I ve just come across this post and I m sure I have the same phobia because I can't drive down hills or go up hills and even walking down a hill which xan seem steep to me and going up and even stairs which I can find hard if they steep or coming down them.
I will avoid it all and won't even drive if I come across a hill or a bridge.
I ve had this for years and I know I should have had therapy or tried to resolve it by finding out what could help me.
I am in Manchester too.

Hi both!
It's strangely nice to not feel alone with this fear, although I am sorry you both struggle with this too!
I'm a CBT therapist and treat clients with different phobias, and it can definitely help! I've not bothered with therapy because it doesn't affect me too badly, but if it's having a big impact on your life, I'd definitely recommend getting a referral for talking therapy from your GP.

Quick Reply

Latest