The Student Room Group

How to get an A* in Economics?

I've just started year 12 and I'm doing maths, economics, computer science and further maths for my a levels. I find all my subjects very interesting however I am not the best at essay writing which is essential for economics and am not quite sure how to get the most marks. Does anyone have a specific structure for economics essays and any tips on how to get an A*?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fufuyo
I've just started year 12 and I'm doing maths, economics, computer science and further maths for my a levels. I find all my subjects very interesting however I am not the best at essay writing which is essential for economics and am not quite sure how to get the most marks. Does anyone have a specific structure for economics essays and any tips on how to get an A*?

I was the same - not the best at essay writing when I started. It's not too bad though - the economics essays tend to be about analysing models (they have a lot of diagrams) so are very different from essays for say, history.

Which exam board are you using for economics? This is important to know if you want essay structures and exam-board-specific tips.

Some general tips for an A* though:

Know your specification inside out - which course are you doing? Find the specification and go through each of the points with a textbook. Make notes/flashcards/mind maps to make use of memorisation techniques like active recall and spaced repetition.

If you do not understand a concept, ask teachers, use forums or websites like economicshelp or tutor2u until you do understand.

A key differentiating skill for economics essays is evaluation. You will learn this as you go along and I can be more specific if you need.

Read examiner's reports (sometimes useful, sometimes not though) and do all the past paper questions. Record your mistakes in homework or past exam papers, say in a spreadsheet, so that you do not make those mistakes a second time.
Reply 2
Original post by tomftutor
I was the same - not the best at essay writing when I started. It's not too bad though - the economics essays tend to be about analysing models (they have a lot of diagrams) so are very different from essays for say, history.

Which exam board are you using for economics? This is important to know if you want essay structures and exam-board-specific tips.

Some general tips for an A* though:

Know your specification inside out - which course are you doing? Find the specification and go through each of the points with a textbook. Make notes/flashcards/mind maps to make use of memorisation techniques like active recall and spaced repetition.

If you do not understand a concept, ask teachers, use forums or websites like economicshelp or tutor2u until you do understand.

A key differentiating skill for economics essays is evaluation. You will learn this as you go along and I can be more specific if you need.

Read examiner's reports (sometimes useful, sometimes not though) and do all the past paper questions. Record your mistakes in homework or past exam papers, say in a spreadsheet, so that you do not make those mistakes a second time.

Thanks for the tips! The exam board I'm doing is edexcel, do you know the specific structure for their essays? And could you be more specific on how to evaluate essays?
Reply 3
Hi im a ex a level student from last year, and i bought a tutor2u companion course for £200. Im willing to sell it for £100, this helped me get an a star, and contains a lot of application as well as theory. If you want this you can private message me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fufuyo
Thanks for the tips! The exam board I'm doing is edexcel, do you know the specific structure for their essays? And could you be more specific on how to evaluate essays?

Hey, I did edexcel last year and I got a very hugh A*. Message me in private and I could send you the notes I used.
Original post by Fufuyo

Hey I got 328/335 last year which was 60 marks above the A* grade - I could send the notes I used if you messages me in private.
Sorry to hijack my mans thread but same for AQA economics please anyone?
Original post by jeremiah_23
Hey, I did edexcel last year and I got a very hugh A*. Message me in private and I could send you the notes I used.

Could you send me your notes please

Could you send it to me please , thank you!!

please please PM me I need this
Hey I got 328/335 last year which was 60 marks above the A* grade - I could send the notes I used if you messages me in private.

Please could you also send the notes to me?

Hi could you please send me your e level economics economics notes. Thanks.
These notes would help so much, please could you send me them

Please could you send the notes? Cheers!

please send I want this please

Hey! Thanks for doing this! Could you send them to me too please?
Original post by Dfffffff
Hi im a ex a level student from last year, and i bought a tutor2u companion course for £200. Im willing to sell it for £100, this helped me get an a star, and contains a lot of application as well as theory. If you want this you can private message me.

I would be interested to buy it, if someone hasn't bought it already?
Reply 17

Omg would you mind also sending me these notes aswell? I’d really appreciate it, I’m struggling so bad with economics
Reply 18
Whoever has notes or any guidance they’d be willing to share, I’m 100% interested

I know this has been a popular request haha could you also send them over to me please?? looking for similar help

Quick Reply

Latest