The Student Room Group

Maths and Economics

I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science and I am planning on dropping computer science for further maths but I am not allowed to until the end of June. I would like to study maths and economics or just maths at the best university possible like LSE, Imperial or Warwick. But also I will be fine with going to Lancaster or Manchester if I don’t get into those. I am kind of struggling in physics a level right now and really wished I picked economics instead at the start along with maths and further maths. I would be catching up over the summer of AS further maths using the textbook, practice questions and videos.Should I consider doing economics AS level over the summer along with further maths and join both A2 classes in year. How would my predicted grades work? I got 97777666 at GCSE with a 9 in business, 7 in maths, 76 in English and 66 in combined science. I believe I can achieve the grades needed in A-Level for the top universities. I aim to either work in investment banking or finance like quantitative finance but open to data science and machine learning too. What do you guys recommend I do? Is catching up on 2 AS levels over the summer too much? I do really enjoy and economics and find it really interesting. If I don’t end up picking economics a level how disadvantaged would I be for doing a maths and economics degree at a university like LSE
LSE is mega competitive for Economics and most struggle to get offers even with A*A*A*, As far as Lancaster is concerned if you can meet their entry requirement you would have a good chance of an offer. The big question is whether you can somehow catch up with further Maths over the summer. I certainly wouldnt try adding Economics as well.

I assume you intend continuing with Computer Science so would have the 3 A levels the universities require. If you can get the very highest grades there is no reason why you shouldnt get an offer for somewhere like Lancaster and probably Manchester and Warwick but LSE is something else. By all means apply there but do so with your eyes open as to how difficult it is to get offers.
Don't try and do economics now. Better to get a tutor for your Physics A level and work on that over the summer. You have committed to these three A levels so switching streams now is dangerous. You don't need economics A level to do economics at a degree level. However, having a maths A level is a real bonus.
Reply 3
If you only apply to those Unis you risk getting all rejections - you need choices outside those that are ludicrously competitive to have a chance of offers. LSE is also 67% overseas students, most of them Chinese and other London Unis are similar. Nothing wrong with this of course, but it will impact your 'student experience'.

Look at Unis like
Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/economics/bsc-economics-and-mathematics-with-professional-placement-or-study-abroad/ - far less competitive and the placement system is one of the best in the UK.
Bristol - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/economics/bsc-economics-and-mathematics/
York - https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/bsc-economics-mathematics/
etc

Go to Open Days in May/June and look around - which course will suit you best, where will you feel happiest.
Original post by Safwan321
I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science and I am planning on dropping computer science for further maths but I am not allowed to until the end of June. I would like to study maths and economics or just maths at the best university possible like LSE, Imperial or Warwick. But also I will be fine with going to Lancaster or Manchester if I don’t get into those. I am kind of struggling in physics a level right now and really wished I picked economics instead at the start along with maths and further maths. I would be catching up over the summer of AS further maths using the textbook, practice questions and videos.Should I consider doing economics AS level over the summer along with further maths and join both A2 classes in year. How would my predicted grades work? I got 97777666 at GCSE with a 9 in business, 7 in maths, 76 in English and 66 in combined science. I believe I can achieve the grades needed in A-Level for the top universities. I aim to either work in investment banking or finance like quantitative finance but open to data science and machine learning too. What do you guys recommend I do? Is catching up on 2 AS levels over the summer too much? I do really enjoy and economics and find it really interesting. If I don’t end up picking economics a level how disadvantaged would I be for doing a maths and economics degree at a university like LSE

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. At Lancaster we have both an economics degree with entry requirements ABB and an economics with mathematics degree with entry requirements of AAB (with an A in either A-Level maths or further maths). Therefore, for our university changing your A-Levels won't make a lot of difference as economics isn't a requirement. I would suggest not giving yourself the added pressure personally but I do not know the requirements of other universities. If you chose to do just a maths degree you would still be in good standing to go into investment banking, one of my friends on my course has a graduate role with JP Morgan for next year. We are 16th for Economics in the UK (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023) and 11th in the UK for Mathematics (The Complete University Guide 2023). Therefore, we are still a very high ranking university but may promote more of a balanced work life balance than some of the more competitive universities. Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. At Lancaster we have both an economics degree with entry requirements ABB and an economics with mathematics degree with entry requirements of AAB (with an A in either A-Level maths or further maths). Therefore, for our university changing your A-Levels won't make a lot of difference as economics isn't a requirement. I would suggest not giving yourself the added pressure personally but I do not know the requirements of other universities. If you chose to do just a maths degree you would still be in good standing to go into investment banking, one of my friends on my course has a graduate role with JP Morgan for next year. We are 16th for Economics in the UK (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023) and 11th in the UK for Mathematics (The Complete University Guide 2023). Therefore, we are still a very high ranking university but may promote more of a balanced work life balance than some of the more competitive universities. Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Thank you very much. Do you think it would still be a good idea to drop computer science for further maths because I really do not like computer science and would much rather take a level further maths.
Thank you very much. Do you think it would still be a good idea to drop computer science for further maths because I really do not like computer science and would much rather take a level further maths.

If you can handle the workload of the entire content of a level further maths as well as year 13 maths and physics (probably about 33% more work than you are currently doing), then switching could help a bit towards university grade requirements. For example, the regular maths course at Lancaster requires AAA normally, but if two of the A's are Maths and Further Maths then you only need a B in the third subject.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 11 months ago)

Hi there,

I think making sure you're motivated and doing something you enjoy is important. However, I would advise you to see how catching up goes and see if your college can provide any support with this, for example tests that the class have done this year to ensure you're up to a similar level. If this goes fine then swapping A-Levels may be a good choice, but you will still have a safety net of continuing computer science afterwards because things can go wrong or you might end up preferring to just do other things over the holidays.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 8
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I think making sure you're motivated and doing something you enjoy is important. However, I would advise you to see how catching up goes and see if your college can provide any support with this, for example tests that the class have done this year to ensure you're up to a similar level. If this goes fine then swapping A-Levels may be a good choice, but you will still have a safety net of continuing computer science afterwards because things can go wrong or you might end up preferring to just do other things over the holidays.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thank you I spoke to the head of maths but unfortunately she has said I can’t take further maths. I’m going to try to convince her to let me take it and try to self teach myself the AS part starting from June and I would have until the end of September. If she still doesn’t allow me to choose further maths then I will either take statistics a level or self teach the full a level further maths depending on how the AS goes. Or maybe take the AS in year 13

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending