The Student Room Group

malware attack??

So i am typing this from safari. So since yesterday whatever i am trying to search on google chrome, it ends up crashing and the size of the page is set to 125 when normally i set it to 100, when i press on the history, it doesn't respond. it's freaking me out because i saved most of my password and credit details in chrome. can this be fixed??? nothing is wrong with my pc, it's just chrome
you could also use Opera.... it is reliable and uses less resources than Chrome.
From Google's Chrome support website:

You can restore your browser settings in Chrome at any time. You might need to do this if apps or extensions you installed changed your settings without your knowledge. Your saved bookmarks and passwords won't be cleared or changed.

On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click More More and then Settings.
At the bottom, click Advanced.
On Chromebook, Linux, and Mac: Under "Reset Settings," click Restore settings to their original defaults and then Reset Settings.
On Windows: Under "Reset and cleanup,” click Reset Settings and then Reset Settings.
These steps won't provide a full reset. For example, some settings like fonts or accessibility won't be deleted. To create a new user profile, add a new user in Chrome.

What changes when you restore your settings
On your Chrome profile, the following settings will change to the default on all devices where you're signed in:

Default search engine, which is changed back to Google.
Homepage and tabs.
The new tab page.
Tabs you have pinned.
Content settings, like letting a site show you pop-ups or use your microphone.
Cookies and site data, like items in an online shopping cart.
Extensions and themes.

If that doesn't resolve your issues uninstall Google Chrome
On your computer, close all Chrome windows and tabs.
Click the Start menu Settings.
Click Apps.
Under "Apps & features," find and click Google Chrome.
Click Uninstall.
Confirm by clicking Uninstall.
To delete your profile information, like bookmarks and history, check "Also delete your browsing data."
Click Uninstall.
Reply 3
Just clear your stored cookies from settings..........
Try repairing chrome, uninstall and re-install.

Highly doubt you've got a "malware attack."
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Try repairing chrome, uninstall and re-install.

Highly doubt you've got a "malware attack."

I did, there's no change lol
It sounds like you have a corrupted Chrome profile. Before going any further make sure you have saved your bookmarks elsewhere (another browser or in a notepad or document).

1. If you are signed in to a Google account on Chrome, your personal profile is corrupt. You need to create a new one then delete the old one.

A) Open Google Chrome.
B) Click on the user profile icon which is showing your profile picture, your name, or your email address on the top-right corner of the chrome browser.
C) Click on Manage People.
D) Point the user profile that you want to remove (where your google account is attached), and click on options icon (3 dots) from the top-right of the user profile.
E) Click on “Remove This Person”
Note: This will permanently delete your browsing data from this device. This cannot be undone.
F) It will prompt again for the confirmation. Click on “Remove This Person” again.

G) Close Chrome, then reopen it
H) Sign in to your Google account to create your new profile.

2. If you are not signed in to a Google account on Chrome, the default profile is corrupt. You need to rename the current one to Backup Default. This will force Chrome to create a new default profile.

A) Close Chrome
B) On a Windows computer, press the Windows Key + R. Click into the box, then type: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ then click OK.
On a Mac, open Finder by clicking the icon on the left of the Dock. On the menu bar at the top of the screen, click Go > Go to Folder. Type: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/ and click Go.
C) When the folder opens, right click on the folder called Default, and click Rename.
D) Change the name to Backup Default. This will make Chrome create a new Default profile and ignore the old one.
E) Open Chrome again.
F) Delete the folder that you just renamed to Backup Default.
Reply 7
You should become a YouTuber with that post title.

Search for hitman pro. It's a malware cleaner. They offer a 30 day trial you can use to clean out your PC if you think you've been to one too many dodgy sites. Search your emails on haveibeenpwned. Use a password manager with unique passwords. LastPass is free which save your card and address information too. Do not save your stuff in chrome please. Now you're back on your feet, go and grab a decent anti-virus. Bitdefender or kaspersky are the good.

Regarding your chrome issue, that's exactly what it is. A chrome issue. Having your zoom level to 125 is something that can happen by accident. If you hold ctrl + scroll up or down you will zoom in. This happens all the time when copying and pasting or just resting your hands on the keyboard.
As well as bitdefender and Kaspersky I would also recomend Avast
Malwarebytes is really good for anti-malware
Install a anti virus app, it should help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending