The Student Room Group
Reply 1
On the reference? It can vary and depends entirely on the person and teachers. Your attitude to work, your personality, your dedication etc. Attendance will come into it if it's exceptionally good. Most will try and make a reference as positive as possible, but wouldn't lie.

Do you have a poor attendance record?
I believe a reference has to be positive, or at least this is a policy in quite a lot of schools. They can't lie, but if they think your attendance is an issue then they may just not include it on your reference, and concentrate on your more positive points instead.
Reply 3
yea my attendance is low, so the only info the schools put in are on the fefrence?
charlie123
yea my attendance is low, so the only info the schools put in are on the fefrence?

Reference and predicted grades, I think that is all.
Reply 5
ook, thanks
secretmessages
I believe a reference has to be positive, or at least this is a policy in quite a lot of schools. They can't lie, but if they think your attendance is an issue then they may just not include it on your reference, and concentrate on your more positive points instead.

yes, but what unis do is if they have a group of students from the same school with the same person writing the references, most of them will have it written that they have a very good attendance record, while those who don't it won't say it. I can guess that they will assume you have poor attendance unless it's in your reference that it is good - it's something i would write as a tutor and i know mine does
bigdaveracer
yes, but what unis do is if they have a group of students from the same school with the same person writing the references, most of them will have it written that they have a very good attendance record, while those who don't it won't say it. I can guess that they will assume you have poor attendance unless it's in your reference that it is good - it's something i would write as a tutor and i know mine does

That's the whole point - Unis know how to read between the lines and see what's omitted. If a reference bangs on completly about how happy someone is, chances are that that's the only good point about them.
Reply 8
bigdaveracer

what are the chances of someone from the same school applies to the same uni AND chooses the same subject area? small, i think
bigdaveracer

Hmm. I see what you mean, but it would be unprofessional for the universities to assume anything. It would be like assuming that somebody's applied to Oxbridge, and not giving them an offer because of it. Unfortunately a couple of universities actually do this although they wouldn't admit to it. I don't think attendance is very high on the priorities list when it comes to giving candidates offers anyway, seeing as the vast majority of university students miss a lot of their lectures through laziness :p:
charlie123
what are the chances of someone from the same school applies to the same uni AND chooses the same subject area? small, i think

Mmm, on an uncommon/unpopular course maybe, but for something like medicine at Oxbridge, definatly not. I know about 20 people in my year all applied for med at Cambridge.
Reply 11
im applying for physics, and my school isnt very good, so the main majority apply for somthing like media,
Reply 12
ive had about 40% attendance for the last two years (due to medical reasons). i still worked really hard at home and twice as hard when i did make it into college and it wasnt mentioned on my reference, i still got offers for all the unis i applied to.
Reply 13
The references I've read of people in my college, none of them mentioned attendance, whether it was good or bad.
Reply 14
References tend to be positive,although they don't lie. You can ask to read yours before it is sent to check what is said. At my school we were shown ours to check for errors long before it was sent, and I must say it was rather flattering :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending