The Student Room Group

Civil engineering

So I'm thinking of applying to uni, but I'm not sure whether im setting my standards too low. I'm predicted BBBB. The uni's I'm considering applying to are the following:
Bradford - 112 ucas pts
Swansea - 120 - 168 ucas pts
Brighton - 120-136 ucas pts
West London - 120 ucas pts
UWE bristol - 112 ucas pts

I'm just wondering if first these are good uni's, and if I'm selling myself short? I'm total I will have around 136 ucas points. Ps. I can apply to swansea and Brighton on foundation year with reduced grade requirements.
Original post by Jimmy377374
So I'm thinking of applying to uni, but I'm not sure whether im setting my standards too low. I'm predicted BBBB. The uni's I'm considering applying to are the following:
Bradford - 112 ucas pts

I'm just wondering if first these are good uni's, and if I'm selling myself short? I'm total I will have around 136 ucas points. Ps. I can apply to swansea and Brighton on foundation year with reduced grade requirements.

Can you drop one of your A levels so that you can improve the grades on your other subjects? Unis only require three A levels and will take the scores from your best three.

For your 5 uni choices it is best to choose:

1 or 2 just above your predicted grades
2 or 3 at your predicted grades - you are most likely to get offers from these choices
1 a grade or two below your predicted grades for insurance

Moving thread to the engineering forum so that you can get advice on the unis you are proposing for your course.
Reply 2
Bradford - 112 ucas pts

Hi @Jimmy377374

I hope you're well :smile:

With yourself doing 4 A-levels by being predicted BBBB is absolutely amazing!

You have a good broad range of universities you're applying to whilst I don't know about many of them they all sound good.

However, I can provide insight to one of your university choice: University of Bradford
This would be a university I would not recommend.
I have attended school trips and open days and I believe it does not meet or is of the standard of paying for and let alone be in debt for.
The accommodation and campus was not the best, whilst the aesthetics isn't a main factor it just didn't feel as appealing.
The teaching I have heard by my friends who attend this university have told me that the lectures are not taking seriously by students which therefore, caused a lot disruptions involved.
I have also heard by my friends that there is a lot of crimes within the city and around campus which is extremely alarming and something I would take into consideration.

While these may be a few points mentioned for one your university choice, I would highly recommend doing some research on a variety of universities what they doing well in, the student life and reach out to students on unibuddy on the course and find out on how the teaching is to give yourself an idea on what university feels best suited for you as a person.

Considering with your predicted grades already sounding exceptional my advice to you would be to always aim high and don't let your grades limit you.

I hope this was somewhat helpful :smile:

- K
(edited 10 months ago)
Bradford - 112 ucas pts

Hey @Jimmy377374 :smile:

Your predicted grades are fantastic!

Have you attended any open days? I'd definitely recommend having a look at each university's website to see when their upcoming open days are and book onto some. They are a great way to speak to current students and the academics who'll be teaching you, take tours of the campus and accommodation, ask any questions you have, see the city etc!

I would also recommend using Unibuddy, like the advice you've received below, as it's a great way to find out what it's really like studying at that uni. Always a good idea to speak to current students directly about what they really think :smile:

If you would like any more info about studying Civil Engineering at Bradford, or more info about our Open Day this weekend please do just let me know!

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest