The Student Room Group

Urgent Chemistry ph question

Exam is in few hours
Can anyone explain me how to do this
Screenshot_2019-12-09-20-41-46.png

Answer is B but my calculations give C
Marks scheme saying that C is wrong because we consider assumption of H+ not from water.
How will I bring Water's H+ in equation
Reply 2
Original post by Ailurophile03

I expect the logic goes: the ethanoic acid is really dilute, so dilute in fact that any effect it has on [H+] will be less than water, so you can ignore the ethanoic.

But looking at the values, it can't be A as it is sooo dilute. It won't be C or D as they are alkaline pHs, so B is the only possible answer.
Original post by Pigster
I expect the logic goes: the ethanoic acid is really dilute, so dilute in fact that any effect it has on [H+] will be less than water, so you can ignore the ethanoic.

But looking at the values, it can't be A as it is sooo dilute. It won't be C or D as they are alkaline pHs, so B is the only possible answer.

Thank u very much for your answer😀
Reply 4
Original post by Pigster

But how will you prove it by calculations
C and B are close to one another

Just came back from my exam,didn't go that well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending