The Student Room Group

I don't know how to study

Hi all, I'm currently studying for my AS Level exams (I study Computer Science, Business Studies and Digital Technology) in May and I'm really struggling. I have no motivation at all to study, and I find it hard to concentrate when I'm at the table. I've been writing notes but I feel it is a waste of time as I don't seem to be remembering any of it, and I feel I'm not writing them in an effective way that will make them easier to learn. Can anyone please offer me some suggestions on where to start or how to deal with my issues? I really want to do well, so any help is really appreciated. Thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't find writing notes useful at all. I read the textbook (and highlight as I go so I pay attention), get tested by parents if they're willing, and then do practise questions. Practise is the best method to revision. Study mark schemes, learn what you're struggling with, and look over it again. It is hard work but it's the most effective form of revision.

If normal notes aren't helpful but you still want to get the information down somewhere, I find Quizlet is very useful. Write the 'term' as a question and the 'definition' as an answer, so you're testing yourself - and by making it, because you have to form questions, it means you're really paying attention and understanding what you're reading. You can also form the questions from specification points depending on how detailed your spec is.

Also, this is a weird tip, but when I'm not motivated to study (always), I timelapse myself. That way, because I want the timelapse to look good, I don't take long breaks or procrastinate. This usually means I end up getting more work done AND having longer, more-enjoyable breaks after studying.
You could also go to the library during frees/after-school, because it's less easy to procrastinate.
Reply 2
Thank you for such a helpful response. I'll try out these methods.
Original post by CSBSDT20
Hi all, I'm currently studying for my AS Level exams (I study Computer Science, Business Studies and Digital Technology) in May and I'm really struggling. I have no motivation at all to study, and I find it hard to concentrate when I'm at the table. I've been writing notes but I feel it is a waste of time as I don't seem to be remembering any of it, and I feel I'm not writing them in an effective way that will make them easier to learn. Can anyone please offer me some suggestions on where to start or how to deal with my issues? I really want to do well, so any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there @CSBSDT20

I found it much easier to revise once I knew what type of learner I was as I could then tailor my revision to the techniques that fitted me the best (I did a VARK questionnaire).

Once you know that, its best to work SMART not longer.

o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinesthetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

Remember to study for short bursts of 40 minutes with a 20 minute break to ensure you're not becoming tired

I hope this helps!

Fi :horse:
Reply 4
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @CSBSDT20

I found it much easier to revise once I knew what type of learner I was as I could then tailor my revision to the techniques that fitted me the best (I did a VARK questionnaire).

Once you know that, its best to work SMART not longer.

o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinesthetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

Remember to study for short bursts of 40 minutes with a 20 minute break to ensure you're not becoming tired

I hope this helps!

Fi :horse:

Thank you for the helpful response and for taking the time to respond. I will try out your suggestions :smile:
Hi there @CSBSDT20

You're welcome! Good luck :gthumb:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending