The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Academically intelligent but no common sense?

Scroll to see replies

Haha, my friend is exactly like that. She's proper intelligent (full marks on most stuff in her A-levels) but her common sense is bloody awful. She's ridiculously clumsy, always loses stuff, loses other peoples stuff, walks into things, etcetc.
jismith1989
:biggrin: From whom is that quote, if you don't mind me asking?

P.S. OP, hope that you have fun in my home town!

On the site I found it it was anon
Reply 82
two things which might help.

1) have kids - then you HAVE to muddle through, or else the person you love most in the world doesn't make it. Also the routine of doing everything will make you more creative/inventive/time-conscious and promote lateral thinking to solve problems of the moment.

2) My theory is based on chinese people, most of whom dont seem to have much common sense but are excellent academically. Everything is done for them from the moment they are born until the moment they go to university. The state or family will organise life. Study is of paramount importance and that is what all their time is spent doing. Hence they do not get used to doing things for themselves and learning tricks to make things faster and thinking around problems (thinking outside the box). One person I know who was 15 had never struck a match in their life.
Of course this theory is a gross generalisation, but one which I have observed.

It could be that you too have had most things done for you and so you have not learned by your mistakes as much as other people who have more 'common sense'. Kids make mistakes all the time but if your parents only allowed you to get it wrong once, then you were not 'trained' to get it right the second and subsequent times like the rest of us.

Ask questions, take things apart to see how they work, take an interest in your environment, notice strange things. All these things make your mind interested in learning and looking for other ways to do things.

I think common sense is largely learned by experience in doing things and often getting them wrong to begin with.
My sister is exactly the same as the OP. She is academically brilliant. GCSE's straight A's/A*s. AS levels she is currently taqking, but she is set to get excellent results.

However, she has before now asked me if the Blackpool Tower was in Liverpool.
Reply 84
ocpaul20
two things which might help.

1) have kids - then you HAVE to muddle through, or else the person you love most in the world doesn't make it. Also the routine of doing everything will make you more creative/inventive/time-conscious and promote lateral thinking to solve problems of the moment.

2) My theory is based on chinese people, most of whom dont seem to have much common sense but are excellent academically. Everything is done for them from the moment they are born until the moment they go to university. The state or family will organise life. Study is of paramount importance and that is what all their time is spent doing. Hence they do not get used to doing things for themselves and learning tricks to make things faster and thinking around problems (thinking outside the box). One person I know who was 15 had never struck a match in their life.
Of course this theory is a gross generalisation, but one which I have observed.

It could be that you too have had most things done for you and so you have not learned by your mistakes as much as other people who have more 'common sense'. Kids make mistakes all the time but if your parents only allowed you to get it wrong once, then you were not 'trained' to get it right the second and subsequent times like the rest of us.

Ask questions, take things apart to see how they work, take an interest in your environment, notice strange things. All these things make your mind interested in learning and looking for other ways to do things.

I think common sense is largely learned by experience in doing things and often getting them wrong to begin with.

1) I don't like kids and I don't want them.

2) Yeah, I do have very over-protective parents and I've tried the whole 'asking about everything' but people either get irritated or just patronise me. Like my employers now.

(I actually woke up to a missed call from them this morning - I'm not supposed to be in work til tomorrow but what if they wanted to fire me?) :confused:
BLANK
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 86
I think common sense is definately learnt. I have always done well academically and my parents had split up when i was little. So i ran two very different lives, during the week my life was school, home, bed n nothing else whereas at the weekends i was more social and learnt more about the world in general, seen a lot of things i suppose i would of been better off not seeing at that age but I think it helped in the end. I often thought i had a split personality because of how completely different i acted. I'm still absolutely crap with directions, remembering little tasks etc but i think im more social and can speak to anyone very easily and I know a little more about the world than i would of done :-)

My bf still calls me stupid at times...such as when i turned the grill on instead of the oven and left it 20 minutes before noticing my food wasn't actually cooking :-P
Reply 87
Help!

Hi! I'm starting my first couple of jobs as a preschool teacher, and I forget things all the time. I work really hard, but when I multitask I fall apart. I don't know how to practice this. I'm afraid that I'll be terrible at any job I apply to.

Did it work out for you? How long did it take you to get the hang of things?
Did you end up landing a job you do well in?

Thank you!
Reply 88
Hi! I'm starting my first couple of jobs as a preschool teacher, and I forget things all the time. I work really hard, but when I multitask I fall apart. I don't know how to practice this. I'm afraid that I'll be terrible at any job I apply to.

Original post by ccarrey

This thread is 8 years old:colonhash: Make a new one?
Reply 90
I'm the same got mostly a's and c's @ gcse's and yet at my work place I constantly make mistakes and seem to have no common sense, everyone at work jokes about it, feel like an idiot because everyone else around me knows what they're doing - and they didn't even train me that well 😢😞
Reply 91
Original post by Blue Jean
My BF is very academicallly smart and makes me feel dumb. When it comes to the simplest of things, like how to park a car, remember where he parked, opening a window, cleaning, making coffee, using soap...he's a complete numbskull. He is the most charming, romantic and best dancer ever, and stays in great shape, but that other stuff annoys me to high heaven.

Why have you bumped an 11 year old thread...?
Original post by Blue Jean
My BF is very academicallly smart and makes me feel dumb. When it comes to the simplest of things, like how to park a car, remember where he parked, opening a window, cleaning, making coffee, using soap...he's a complete numbskull. He is the most charming, romantic and best dancer ever, and stays in great shape, but that other stuff annoys me to high heaven.

waking up an 11 year old thread..

Latest

Trending

Trending