The Student Room Group

Need help

I have just got my mock results back and I didn’t do as well as I hoped, which makes me really sad because I work so hard and revise every night and still don’t get the grades I need for my potential college. Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas on what I can do to try and fix this.
Reply 1
Hi,

What methods do you use to revise? It might just be that you aren't using a revision method that works for you, have you ever tried doing something different to see what suits you best?

If you speak to your teachers they can give you the best advice because they will know what you need to work on, and the mocks are indicative of this. They can give you practice questions and revision for specific topics.

Past papers are also a must for most subjects, especially maths and science. Get to know how the mark schemes work as well.

Also sometimes it could be that you've burnt yourself out. If you revise every night, that can be strenuous on your mind and you can actually just end up learning nothing. Fair enough if it's only one hour a night and then maybe a couple more hours on one or two days, but doing three hours of revision every night is probably not that effective, especially at this point in time. Try pacing your revision, and focussing on the topics you most need improvement in.

Hope this helps :smile:
Currently I use multiple revision techniques ie, mindmaps, flash cards, past questions, watch videos and note taking. I think they’re working but it doesn’t reflect that in my exams, which is the most stressful thing.
Majority of my teachers are useless because i go to a underfunded school, some I can ask for help but it never has really actually helps because nothing they say really sticks in my head so I’m just kinda stuck with home learning/studying.
Reply 3
Original post by georgia yexley
I have just got my mock results back and I didn’t do as well as I hoped, which makes me really sad because I work so hard and revise every night and still don’t get the grades I need for my potential college. Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas on what I can do to try and fix this.

What subjects are you taking because different subjects have different techniques for revision?
Triple science, maths, English, history, pe, business studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending