The Student Room Group

I feel like I want therapy but I don't want them picking on me about my weight

I don't want them picking on me about being underweight. Is there any way to get counselling or therapy without actually going out? Like counselling from home through the phone
I did through zoom

They may let you do it without the camera if you ask them (depends on the therapy type - mine needed camera)

I did go private though

Depending on the therapist that’s £50-250 per hour
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Johnny Valentine
I did through zoom

They may let you do it without the camera if you ask them (depends on the therapy type - mine needed camera)

I did go private though

Depending on the therapist that’s £50-250 per hour

What about free counselling? Every time I speak to someone they say instead of short term psychological treatment I need long term psychological treatment and it just makes me look more mental.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
What about free counselling? Every time I speak to someone they say instead of short term psychological treatment I need long term psychological treatment and it just makes me look more mental.

Have you tried Kooth?
Well, making big change can take a while and some people need more help than others

There’s nothing to be ashamed of in needing help, we all do sometimes and if it takes a while to get to a better place then c’est La vie.

First you need to recognise that you need a helping hand and then you need to reach out for that hand.

In all honesty, therapists are there to help and are trained not to judge. They won’t judge you at all and certainly not on your weight or how you look.

That said, I’m taking it a doctor is referring you for therapy and if you really can’t do face to face then you just need to ask to be referred to a therapist that does remote sessions and see what they say / see if there is anyone available that can support you in that way
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Have you tried Kooth?

Yeah I have but I am not sure whether that actually helps. I am typing my thoughts so it's better and no one hears what I am saying, but does it really help?
Reply 6
Yeah I have but I am not sure whether that actually helps. I am typing my thoughts so it's better and no one hears what I am saying, but does it really help?

Whether or not it helps is dependant on you. Do you find it helped ehen you ised it in the past?
Reply 7
Whether or not it helps is dependant on you. Do you find it helped ehen you ised it in the past?

Yeah it did, and any therapy or anything has to wait for the morning anyway
Reply 8

Do you know of any therapy or anyone you can speak to online like right now? It's 1am where I live. It's not urgent, just asking. Like why aren't mental health services like kooth and things like that open at night?
Reply 9
Yeah it did, and any therapy or anything has to wait for the morning anyway

Maybe stick to Kooth for now. If you werent't aware, after 3 drop-in sessions you're able to get 6 booked sessions with a specific worker so you're not speaking to different people every week.
Reply 10
Do you know of any therapy or anyone you can speak to online like right now? It's 1am where I live. It's not urgent, just asking. Like why aren't mental health services like kooth and things like that open at night?

Smaratans by phone or shout by text

Sorry just saw this. And I only know 1 24/7 webchat service but it's for a specific issue (see spoiler)

Spoiler

Original post by black tea
Smaratans by phone or shout by text

PRSOM

I forgot about Shout which is a general 24/7 dervice you can try. Hope that helps OP :smile:
Reply 13
PRSOM

I forgot about Shout which is a general 24/7 dervice you can try. Hope that helps OP :smile:

I thought that's for serious cases for people in crisis? I am not in crisis
I thought that's for serious cases for people in crisis? I am not in crisis

You don't need to be in a crisis to contact Shout

Quick Reply

Latest